Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
May 14, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #1,006 of 1,365
My Plussound Exo Copper cable arrived. It was nicely boxed and included a leather cable wrap and a well made textured black vinyl case, quite impressive build quality and presentation for a ~$200 cable. I listened briefly and there is noticeably greater treble presence, but as I put time on the cable that might change a bit.

802D7E88-2BCD-42F4-8170-B4F026ECEC96.jpeg
Plussound are very good though that's odd that a copper cable would introduce more treble presence. Is it pure copper?

May 14, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #1,007 of 1,365
Plussound are very good though that's odd that a copper cable would introduce more treble presence. Is it pure copper?

Yes, it is pure OCC copper if I recall correctly. It’s not unusual that a brand new copper cable may exhibit some brightness since the cable dialectic needs to form or stabilize before the sound settles. I’ll report back in a couple of days …

May 16, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #1,008 of 1,365
After +50 hours, the Plussound Exo cable (UP-OCC) has tightened up the bass a bit and the high frequencies have settled from where it was when brand new. An overall improvement to my ears … I’m quite happy with my purchase. 👍

May 29, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #1,009 of 1,365
Well, I’ll see how it works for me … hopefully it will fulfill my usage needs.

As mentioned earlier, I’ll report back after I get it with my observations.
So, is it comfortable to use in bed?

I purchased one yesterday for this reason. To use with my DAP while lying in bed. IEMs are starting to hurt my ears. I wanted something small, lightweight, and easy drive from a portable device, and wp900 seems to fit the bill.

Hope they sound decent.

May 29, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #1,010 of 1,365
So, is it comfortable to use in bed?

I purchased one yesterday for this reason. To use with my DAP while lying in bed. IEMs are starting to hurt my ears. I wanted something small, lightweight, and easy drive from a portable device, and wp900 seems to fit the bill.

Hope they sound decent.

Oh yes, the WP900 works very well when lying down as well as sitting up. Very easy to drive and lightweight as well. I’m extremely happy with its performance. 👍

May 29, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #1,011 of 1,365
Oh yes, the WP900 works very well when lying down as well as sitting up. Very easy to drive and lightweight as well. I’m extremely happy with its performance. 👍
Thanks. Good to hear. I'm excited. And they look so 'purty.' 😏

May 30, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #1,013 of 1,365
I used to have the ATH-ESW9. What I liked about them, the midrange and clarity/transparency, are even better in the WP900. I could not wear the on-ear ATH-ESW9 for long without experiencing significant on-ear discomfort, while the over-ear WP900 is quite comfortable.

May 30, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #1,014 of 1,365
I used to have the ATH-ESW9. What I liked about them, the midrange and clarity/transparency, are even better in the WP900. I could not wear the on-ear ATH-ESW9 for long without experiencing significant on-ear discomfort, while the over-ear WP900 is quite comfortable.
^^what he said.

I miss my WP900 (sold them not quite a year ago after owning them for ~9 months). I simply am not a headphone guy, when push comes to shove. Took me many, many years to finally admit that to myself. And yet, I do currently have a pair of cans (Kennerton Gjallahorn GH 40) purchased in February that I never use, hahahaha. Having said all that, I still miss my WP900; just makes zero sense for me to re-buy them.

May 30, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #1,015 of 1,365
Got these bad boys today....
20220530_165539.jpg

I've been wanting this can for a long time until it fell off my radar.

Out of the box, comfort is top notch. And the flamed maple is pleasing to stare at. Perceived resolution is good, and it has good amount of air and decent staging considering its closed nature and portable size.

Now the bad part.

It's fatiguing. The worst part is the metallic timbre in the upper frequencies. This metallic note sorta reminded me of the Stellia i had, but worse. And going in, I knew it was a 'V' shaped HP, but the excessively scooped out mids makes most tracks I listen to sound out of whack. Tonal balance is just wrong IMO.

I am dissapointed to say the least. I guess my search for portable HP continues.

May 30, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #1,016 of 1,365
Let it burn in and consider a different cable...

May 30, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #1,017 of 1,365
20220530_165539.jpg

Out of the box, comfort is top notch. And the flamed maple is pleasing to stare at. Perceived resolution is good, and it has good amount of air and decent staging considering its closed nature and portable size.

Now the bad part.

It's fatiguing. The worst part is the metallic timbre in the upper frequencies. This metallic note sorta reminded me of the Stellia i had, but worse. And going in, I knew it was a 'V' shaped HP, but the excessively scooped out mids makes most tracks I listen to sound out of whack. Tonal balance is just wrong IMO.

I am dissapointed to say the least. I guess my search for portable HP continues.

As @JML suggested, put some time on the WP900 and the cable and the highs will smooth out a bit. If not enough, upgrade the cable to a good quality copper cable.

I felt the same way listening to my new set, so I bought a Plussound Exo cable (can be ordered with A2DC connectors), and after 50 hours of play time on the cable, the high frequencies were definitely sweeter and the bass detail improved. The cable was about $200 for a 4’ version.

May 31, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #1,018 of 1,365
20220530_165539.jpg

Now the bad part.

I agree with others here that a decent pure copper cable will mitigate the zing in the upper frequencies. The WP900 is also, to my ears, quite picky when it comes to source. I understand the N8ii is on the cooler/analytical side? If so, try with a warmer source (they also pair exceptionally well with tube amps).

For all that, there's no getting around the fact that the WP900 are fatiguing (and I'm saying this as someone who bought them when they first came out, still have them, and still love them). But they're not designed for smooth/bedtime pleasure. They're aggressive.

If you're continuing in your search, I highly recommend DCA Aeon Noire. Way less fatiguing with outstanding comfort and very good technicalities. As portable as the WP900 - if not more - but look a bit odd on the head. If you don't mind that, they're endgame portable IMO (and I think I tried nearly if not all the top-end portable closed-backs).

Jun 17, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #1,019 of 1,365
20220530_165539.jpg

Now the bad part.

Unfortunately, no burning will help, I did it for a month. Maybe this will calm the high frequencies, but the dip in the lower mids is difficult to compensate even with the help of an equalizer, although it is possible. I did not immediately understand what annoyed me in their sound. These are the headphones of one-armed pianists and bleating singers. Tears welled up in my eyes when I sent them back, I liked the shape and comfort of the headphones so much. I'm looking for all possible information, suddenly some smart person made a mod and posted instructions, then I would buy them again and modify them too.

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #1,020 of 1,365
Unfortunately, no burning will help, I did it for a month. Maybe this will calm the high frequencies, but the dip in the lower mids is difficult to compensate even with the help of an equalizer, although it is possible. I did not immediately understand what annoyed me in their sound. These are the headphones of one-armed pianists and bleating singers. Tears welled up in my eyes when I sent them back, I liked the shape and comfort of the headphones so much. I'm looking for all possible information, suddenly some smart person made a mod and posted instructions, then I would buy them again and modify them too.
Yeah I loved everything but the sound lol.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that like the sound. It just wasn't for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back