Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
May 16, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #766 of 1,365
Over ear is harder for me to decide on than iems it seems.
The Th900 seems appealing as well and I went back and forth, but also there there’s so much conflicting reports and people finding it way too sharp, quality control issues,.. and for me maybe losing some of the portability that I desire. Of course also more than double the price of the wp900. I’ve also heard plenty people say they prefer the cascade over the TH900 or Th610. So much disagreement. So I don’t dare pull the trigger on such a thing blind. The hyla sarda comes in pricy as well but at least everyone that has em are raving over them. And yes, they Are that damn good. WP900 is appealing due to clarity and sparkle you mention, portable and coming with a 4,4 connector so I can use them with my q5s and honey h1. Although I’m still torn in the over ear journey your answer helps!

One more question, I have a smaller head. Quite narrow. I have troubles with headphones being too loose, also can’t find glasses for example that fit my frame. Most too wide haha. How do you think the wp900 is for a smaller head?

Thanks for your reply!
I can offer a few personal observations:

1) I had and sold the TH-610. Very underwhelming. Lacked clarity (even with the Lawton driver mod), didn't have a lot of bass and the fit was really sloppy. You would be doing some serious headband folding with this one.

2) I have and love the Cascades. I do not find the bass bleeding into the mids, but the mids are a bit recessed. The headband is Horrible and if you have a small head I just can't see it working for you. My head is kind of medium-ish and I had to do some wicked bending AND use Dekoni nuggets. I love the headphones, but can not use them outdoors and would never take them to work. If I bend over sharply, they fall off.

3) The WP-900 is my newest addition to the collection. BEAUTIFUL to look at and very comfortable fit. Not tight, but snug. Definitely could be an out and about headphone and would happily take them to work. Now the drawback: The mids are Very recessed. I have heard of V-Shaped headphones before and even bought some I think (Cascade? Sundara?), but nothing like this. To me these headphones are treble = 9, bass = 9 and the mids = 6. If your favourite instrument is the voice, this is problematic. The bass is truly impressive, the treble is very noticeable and the vocals vary, depending on the music. But mids and vocals are the never the center piece of these headphones, so beware..

May 16, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #768 of 1,365
the search is hard and long. I do love me some bass and treble though 🤔 thanks for your input!
Have you thought about the Beyer T5p.3's? I had the T5p.2's, but found the treble too much and the bass too little. Supposedly, the third gen fixes both problems. I tried to swap my WP-900's toward a used pair, but the seller had no interest in an almost new pair of WP-900's.

May 16, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #769 of 1,365
Hmm. Havn’t really looked into beyerdynamic. 999€ is pretty steep, but if the sound quality is there it might be justified. Easy to drive so could return my dethonray honey and drive it off of a q5s. That would more or less pay for it.
Decisions decisions.. i’ma research a bit. Read some forums !
Thanks for the advice @Shane D

May 16, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #770 of 1,365
I've been looking for the right portable for me, after much, much reading and research, I took the plunge and bought a used set (WP900 that is) from a head-fier and cannot wait to hear them. Thank you everyone on this thread for the information. Yay!
Cheers

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #772 of 1,365
Gla
Big thanks to all. Went through the thread & @Mightygrey's review, got hyped and got me some WP900's. Loving the sound so far and the wood is so beautiful!

IagvVR1.jpg

...Slowly turning into an AT fan. Adx5000 for serious listening, WP900 when I want some head banging fun. Too bad their IEM range falls so short, otherwise might've gone for a trifecta. :)
Glad to hear that you're enjoying them! I could see myself being very happy with just the WP900 and the ADX5000.

May 21, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #774 of 1,365
They're here. :heart_eyes: Based on my first impressions they seem promising... I will write my thoughts after I have spent some time with them.

Attachments

• 20210521_144149.JPG
    20210521_144149.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210521_144136.JPG
    20210521_144136.JPG
    590.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #775 of 1,365
They're here. :heart_eyes: Based on my first impressions they seem promising... I will write my thoughts after I have spent some time with them.
Beautiful pics, I am happy for you. I too have pair that are supposed to arrive today. I'm pretty excited what I'm about to hear...(& see) :beyersmile:
Cheers

May 22, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #778 of 1,365
Great cans. Staple part of my daily life. And kudos on owning a pair of DX700. Been on my radar for ages.
You seem to have a good taste in cans... Man of culture. :slight_smile::thumbsup:Good luck for finding DX700.

How you would compare WP900 to AWKT?

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #779 of 1,365
You seem to have a good taste in cans... Man of culture. :slight_smile::thumbsup:Good luck for finding DX700.

How you would compare WP900 to AWKT?
Heh cheers.

There's not too many similarities between the WP900 and the AWKT, other than perhaps the upper mids. The AWKT are "reference" headphones - they have outstanding detail retrieval, resolution, and imaging. They have a fairly linear profile - very natural - without any artificial elevation. By contrast, I'd say the WP900 are basically v-shaped, they're a fun pair of headphones with a slightly uneven mid-range. Technically, the considerably behind the AWKT. I don't listen a great deal to the AWKT, but they're an incredible pair of headphones in many respects.

May 30, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #780 of 1,365
I got these after doing lots of research and I'm really disappointed in them. I'm not an audiophile, so forgive me if I'm using the language incorrectly, but their only distinguishing characteristic seems to be that they have wonderful sound separation and a larger, airier, sound stage for closed backs (they have probably the best soundstage of any close-backed I've heard). However, in almost every other category they really don't do much that significantly cheaper headphones don't already do. Bass is OK, much more emphasized than other AT's I've heard, and it isn't muddy like some bass-heavy headphones can be, but it's definitely not powerful enough for a basshead (as I am).

Treble is also too bright for my tastes. They have a very bright, almost sparkly sound, which is novel and attractive for about a minute, but I just find it exhausting to listen to for too long. And it's not just high-treble stuff. I was listening to the new Julien Baker album (who's not exactly a soprano), and after a while just hearing her singing voice got grating. Comparing the WP900 to my other headphones (Audio-Technica ATH-M50X and VMODA-Crossfade 2). I actually think the V-Moda's have a very similar sound profile as these do, only the V-Moda's have slightly more emphasized bass (which can get muddy at times) and slightly less bright treble. The WP-900s also probably have slightly better sound separation, but for being a bass heavy headphone, the Crossfades actually have really good sound separation, so not by much. Which is absurd as these are twice the cost of the V-Modas, yet they sound very similar.

Which is kind of the main issue that's underlying all of this. These WP900s sound good enough. If they were $300 I'd be blown away by them. However, I do not see anything about how they sound that justifies the $650 price tag over comparable headphones in the $300 range. The accessories they come with are also a joke on top of it (just a flimsy, cloth, carrying case and nothing else). Are they as expensive as they are merely because they are made out of wood? I admit they look great, but they aren't really made for travel, so who cares how they look?

I bought these because I accidentally crushed and bent my V-Moda's, so they stick into my head now (which is really painful). I thought I'd spring for something more expensive, but I think I'm going to return them and just get another pair of Crossfades. These might be marginally better than the crossfades when it comes to sound separation, but the Crossfades have slightly more powerful bass (which I prefer), are $300 cheaper, have bluetooth with APTX, and come with a bunch of accessories.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back