Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Aug 23, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #256 of 1,365
It was 17% off on Canadian Amazon so I ordered on Prime and got it today!

Hmmmmm how should I put it....... does this headphone benefit from burn in? Or does the signature change much?

Maybe I'm too used to my D2000 so first impression I find WP900 is more "different" than "upgrade". Resolution and detail feels about similar, though D2000 feels airier and as a result has better sense of space. Also back then I thought D2000 is consider as V shaped but compare to WP900 now I know what it means to be V shaped LOL. In comparison D2000 has a lot more mids (which is crazy because I never thought myself as a mids person). D2000 has less mid bass but sub bass extends deeper also vocal sounds more upfront (male and female).

Don't get me wrong WP900 still sound good, but just a bit more different. Maybe some part of my brain is thinking D2000 is $300 (CAD) and WP900 is $1000 (CAD) so WP900 must be $700 better LOL. Again I might be crazy but D2000 with TH610 pads (original pad broke) feels about same level as WP900.

I only got it today though so maybe I need to spend more time to do proper assessment........ What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #257 of 1,365
Having spent a weekend with the WP900's, I can safely say that these have immediately jumped-out as the most easy-to-love headphones that I've encountered in my personal audio journey. And that's not even in the context of 'portable' headphones - these are serious desktop contenders as their comfort and performance is A1...I'll just need to find myself a longer cable, ideally a full-size XLR one.

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #258 of 1,365
Having spent a weekend with the WP900's, I can safely say that these have immediately jumped-out as the most easy-to-love headphones that I've encountered in my personal audio journey. And that's not even in the context of 'portable' headphones - these are serious desktop contenders as their comfort and performance is A1...I'll just need to find myself a longer cable, ideally a full-size XLR one.
Glad you like them. I agree with your sentiment; they're outstanding, indeed.

Moon Audio do excellent aftermarket A2DC cables with an XLR connection.

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #259 of 1,365
They come with a bag, which you can see the edge of in the photo below, not a hard shell case. But I had a GoCase that fits them perfectly (although I have to put something between the earpieces so they don't touch). I have an AT upgraded balanced cable that fits in that little compartment .

IMG_0940.jpg
O look something my Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT do not come with.... A case.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #260 of 1,365
O look something my Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT do not come with.... A case. I guess
From their viewpoint, the "case" is probably the box that the headphones were shipped in. I'd have preferred an actual case; stacking these retail boxes in a corner takes up a large chunk of space. I don't like to keep my cans on a stand, so ideally, I keep them in their cases whenever possible.

Aug 23, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #261 of 1,365
From their viewpoint, the "case" is probably the box that the headphones were shipped in. I'd have preferred an actual case; stacking these retail boxes in a corner takes up a large chunk of space. I don't like to keep my cans on a stand, so ideally, I keep them in their cases whenever possible.
I agree. Would happily and keenly buy a case for both the AWAS and AWKT. Having them exposed on a stand makes me uneasy, especially with an energetic toddler in attendance.

Aug 23, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #262 of 1,365
I agree. Would happily and keenly buy a case for both the AWAS and AWKT. Having them exposed on a stand makes me uneasy, especially with an energetic toddler in attendance.
Yes I have a two year old running around. The box they came in was great but having a case to keep them in and also move when needed would be nice. Like the Audeze hard cases they come with some times.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #263 of 1,365
I like to see them out on a stand. If I am going to spend a lot of money on them I want to see them. I am going to have to get a shelf or something to put them on and it's build well so it will not come crashing down.

Aug 23, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #264 of 1,365

The Geekria cases for the ATH AD700, AD700X, AD500X, AD900X, AD1000X, A1000Z, W1000X, A990z, R70X, or the huge Sony MDRZ1R, might fit, given the headphones in their listings. Amazon's listings show the internal dimensions. One is 9.25 x 8.07 x 4.52 inches (23.5 x 20 x 11.5 cm).

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #265 of 1,365
I like to see them out on a stand. If I am going to spend a lot of money on them I want to see them. I am going to have to get a shelf or something to put them on and it's build well so it will not come crashing down.
This is where I keep my woodies, on a small table next to my desk. Fairly insulated from my toddler. May well end up taking out the crockery in the adjoining furniture and replace it with headphones for uber protection...

20200824_085314.jpg

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #266 of 1,365
The Geekria cases for the ATH AD700, AD700X, AD500X, AD900X, AD1000X, A1000Z, W1000X, A990z, R70X, or the huge Sony MDRZ1R, might fit, given the headphones in their listings. Amazon's listings show the internal dimensions. One is 9.25 x 8.07 x 4.52 inches (23.5 x 20 x 11.5 cm).
Thanks, that looks good, indeed (and available here, too). Probably one of the ZMF style Seahorse cases would also work. The wooden box that comes with the AWAK is very nice, but if I'm going away for a couple of weeks, I'd feel safer storing it in a nice, waterproof, dust-proof style box.

Aug 24, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #269 of 1,365

Ideally, I'd like to place my headphones on gorgeous wooden stands, and have them all enclosed within a large glass cabinet. However, I don't have a lot of space in my cramped apartment, so the next best thing is the usage of hard cases. That way, they are well insulated from the nefarious combination of dust and damage.

On the topic of cases, some of them are really big, such as the Pelican and (ZMF) Seahorse products. However, these are practically crush-proof, and possibly bomb-proof, too, and they provide an added layer of protection that puts my mind at ease. Having a few of them stacked on top of one another somehow gives the impression that I'm stocking an arsenal of weapons in my room. :joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back