Audio Technica ATH-W10LTD Review
Sep 14, 2005 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

overlunge

1000+ Head-Fier
Audio Technica ATH-W10LTD

Introduction
In 1st of December 1997, Audio Technica celebrated its 35th Anniversary and released their first limited production wood headphone: W10LTD. According to the official website there were total of 2,000 units been produced during the production run. The specifications of the W10LTD are:

Type: Closed, Dyanmic, Circumaural
Weight: Approx 360g
Impedance: 48 ohms
Sensitivity: 100 dB/mW
Driver Diameter: 53 mm
LTDHousingGlam.jpg
LTDPlug.jpg

Build Quality
W10LTD retained the housing shape of W10VTG, but instead of using the cherry wood from the alpines, LTD's housings are made out of hand crafted 100 year old Asada cherry tree (Asadazakura) grown in Hokkaido, Japan.

Unlike Vintage, the LTD's housing was presented with natural wood-grain. With Audio Technica name/logo/model number printed (where as in VTG, it was painted, and easy to be rubbed off) in black colour on the housing. There's also has matching coloured wooden 1/8" plug with the word Limited scribed on it.

The rest of the headphones remain the standard issued Audio Technica contruction with the frame, wings with no gap in the middle, leather circumaural pads, and left sided entry clothe shielded cable.

Although W10LTD is less prone to paint chipping, but the solid core cherry wood remain fragile against most other objects of daily use. Faint scratch, and dent to the housing is less observable from distant inspection.
LTDGlam.jpg

Sound Quality
With my current home system, which is voiced with slight warmth. The W10LTD surprised me from the very first time I put it on.

Audio Technica might mistakenly assigned the same model number (W10) to LTD. Despite the resemblance in the shape and size. The LTD took a more analytical approach to sound. If Vintage is a well tempered, gentle natured lady with a touch of sweetness; Limited would be her younger sisters with no nonsense, straight to the point attitude, sometimes could come across as coldness.

First thing I noticed was the treble extension, it is crisp without being etched. Sibilance was noted on a few poorly recorded tracks. It is largely recording dependent, but LTD never struck me as being bright or harsh.

Midrange has the familiar Audio Technica 'house sound' with slight recess and a small bump in the lower mids. Limited has less of the 'AT Colouration' then its predecessor, Vintage. The more upfront, and fast PRaT makes LTD appear livelier and more fun to listen to.

Another amazing attribute of the Limited is its ability to handle bass: quick, controlled, extended and has an authoritative thump. It strikes a good balance between quality/quantity, with scale tilting favourably towards quality.

No apparent improvement of soundstage comparing to the Vintage: it remains close and intimate with a touch of depth. However, the instrument separation and stereo imaging is noticeably boosted . The instrument separation struck me as almost excessive and unnatural. When combined with the fast PRaT, the overall sound lacks flesh and body. (Which is one of the strong point of VTG)

Overall, W10LTD should not be viewed as improved version of W10VTG. It is simply another unique member of the ATH-W family that possess a different voice. It might be a more superior headphone over Vintage for some, but others might disagree. Again, the LTD still makes a pleasurable experience with dynamic, non intrusive sound, and its comfortable pads!
VTGLTD.jpg

Music Test
The following tracks are reviewed on my home system with all material on the original CD/SACD played through Meridian 506.16, signal digitally output through to the Grace m902's DAC/Headphone amplifier.
EnglishAA.jpg

Muzsikás - Szerelem, Szerelem, The English Patient OST
Szerelem, Szerelem is blended into the theme of The English Patient, for those who has seen the movie or heard the Original Soundtrack, it is a song that set the tone of the movie. The vocal has hollowing transparency and raw, unrefined skill. LTD handled it with its crispy clear treble painted the image over a dark, still background. Brilliantly executed!

[size=xx-small]There are a few more tracks on this album bring out the best of LTD's ability. Highly recommended.[/size]
ChopinAA.jpg

Vladimir Ashkenazy - Etude Op.10 No.13 "Tristesse", Chopin, The Piano Works
LTD retains the natural timbre of the piano and revealed some micro details during the quiet passages. The sound was articulated, and optimal timing. When the passage gets busy, Limited was able to follow it through without any signs of lagging behind. The track also benefits from LTD's balanced frequency extension in both treble and bass region.
DarknessAA.jpg

The Darkness - I Believe A Thing Called Love, Permission To Land
Speed. Speed. Speed. LTD kept up with swinging pace and the dynamics of the song. Unfortunately, that was all the good things I have say about this song. The distorted electric guitar sounds, well, strangely distorted. There were plenty of sibilance throughout the song. This particular track sounds unbalanced out of W10LTD. I would suggest partially due to the recording quality.
KrallAA.jpg

Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room, The Girl In The Other Room (Hybrid SACD)
This song sounds very organic out of the LTD. A rare glimpse of warmth and sweetness can be found with Krall's vocal. Instruments are positioned with great space between, but does not lost its intimate overall presentation. The bass real shines through with deep grumbling sound and resonance that is anything but bloated.
EllaAA.jpg

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - I Won't Dance, Ella & Louis Again
I thought I would just throw this track in for fun! This album is recorded in mono, although the background instruments except trumpet sounds blended together. However, I often left searching for words after hearing these two great Jazz vocalist's performance, the voice virtually comes alive through the LTD. Armstrong's trumpet thrives on the treble extension and speed... I was stunned and lost for words.
Conclusion
Audio Technica made a statement headphone with the Vingtage. With the W10LTD, they took a leap towards a slightly different direction, and produced another 'vintage' headphone that has its unique quality and voice in the W series line-up. To me, the difference was evolutionary not revolutionary.

May the Woodie Love be with you

Overlunge

[size=xx-small]Disclaimer: This review is based on personal experience with the headphone, others views might vary. Any suggestions towards structure or content of the review are welcomed.[/size]

Sep 14, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 28
another great writeup overlunge.
biggrin.gif
I liked the background part a lot since I learned something new (the bit about differences in application of the cup lettering). thanks for sharing this info.

now, where is my W10LTD? I guess I'm not looking hard enough, or at least in the right places.

despite the lack of certain headphones in the series, I really need to get started with my comparison / reviews. (and of course other stuff that should be reviewed.) you manage to put them out quickly and efficiently and I wasn't expecting this to come out so soon after your W10VTG review.

but that will have to wait since I'll be going on a short vacation for about a week....
tongue.gif
but really, stuff will happen. at least I hope that is the case.
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
another great writeup overlunge.
biggrin.gif
I liked the background part a lot since I learned something new (the bit about differences in application of the cup lettering). thanks for sharing this info.

now, where is my W10LTD? I guess I'm not looking hard enough, or at least in the right places.

despite the lack of certain headphones in the series, I really need to get started with my comparison / reviews. (and of course other stuff that should be reviewed.) you manage to put them out quickly and efficiently and I wasn't expecting this to come out so soon after your W10VTG review.

but that will have to wait since I'll be going on a short vacation for about a week....
tongue.gif
but really, stuff will happen. at least I hope that is the case.
tongue.gif

Thanks, aty999. In the process of writing these up, I learn things about the W series as well! At the moment, I am knee deep in reading up on the Asadazakura and Echizen lacquer... man.. these stuff is deep, but will be worth while when I done the W2002 and W11JPN.

Trust me, for the love of the Woodies, you can do it!
biggrin.gif
Even though I am busy writing up reviews these days, I still am looking out for a pair of LTD for you!

I will not rest till I find you a pair... Must...go...on... (oh.. I am going to add you to my Team ATOWF
wink.gif
)

Overlunge

p.s. Do you happen to own a pair of EW9NR?

Sep 14, 2005 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Thanks, aty999. In the process of writing these up, I learn things about the W series as well! At the moment, I am knee deep in reading up on the Asadazakura and Echizen lacquer... man.. these stuff is deep, but will be worth while when I done the W2002 and W11JPN.

Trust me, for the love of the Woodies, you can do it!
biggrin.gif
Even though I am busy writing up reviews these days, I still am looking out for a pair of LTD for you!

I will not rest till I find you a pair... Must...go...on... (oh.. I am going to add you to my Team ATOWF
wink.gif
)

Overlunge

p.s. Do you happen to own a pair of EW9NR?

with the echizen lacquer you are getting into a centuries old traditional japanese trade. you really are getting into this woodie business, much more than I would have done. (I would simply state that it uses echizen and be happy with that.
tongue.gif
)

with all these informative reviews I'm doing, maybe I should adjust my approach to the reviews to incorporate your research and findings. maybe we can make something like a huge ATH-W review and comparison behemoth encompassing all that is the audio-technica woodie. might be interesting to undertake....

thanks for looking out for those LTD's.
biggrin.gif
the limited run of 2000 sure isn't helping.

I do not have the EW9NR. I thought about getting it, but didn't do so and now they are gone. I wasn't really considering them as part of the woodie lineup, but I guess they are.
smily_headphones1.gif
I wasn't really pursuing a woodie collection when it was available either.

you can add me to the team, but please use my actual screenname.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
with the echizen lacquer you are getting into a centuries old traditional japanese trade. you really are getting into this woodie business, much more than I would have done. (I would simply state that it uses echizen and be happy with that.
tongue.gif
)

with all these informative reviews I'm doing, maybe I should adjust my approach to the reviews to incorporate your research and findings. maybe we can make something like a huge ATH-W review and comparison behemoth encompassing all that is the audio-technica woodie. might be interesting to undertake....

thanks for looking out for those LTD's.
biggrin.gif
the limited run of 2000 sure isn't helping.

I do not have the EW9NR. I thought about getting it, but didn't do so and now they are gone. I wasn't really considering them as part of the woodie lineup, but I guess they are.
smily_headphones1.gif
I wasn't really pursuing a woodie collection when it was available either.

you can add me to the team, but please use my actual screenname.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Ha ha... sorry. It's late and my eyesight is failing me. That sounds good, anything that has behemoth and woodies in one sentance can be highly challlenging and stimulating. I am quite happy to pump out the rest of my reviews I planned, and feel free to use any of the stuff you see useful...

The 1,400 years of Japanese lacquer history is interesting read, and the process they go through producing these stuff is just fascinating...

Overlunge

Sep 14, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 28
Just a by-the-way, the only headphones with the "3D Wing Support" are the Ax00, ADx00 and ADx000 headphones, the other ones aren't the "3D" ones, technically. The "3D" ones have a forward and backward rotating capability that the traditional wings don't have...and that's a nit-picky difference, but just so that you know
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 28
Another beautiful *** and informative *** job Overlunge!

I wish your HF-1 number were higher because you wouldn't be holding out on the pics like those other lucky souls who already have them and don't seem willing to share some virtual love with the rest of us.

Sep 14, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Just a by-the-way, the only headphones with the "3D Wing Support" are the Ax00, ADx00 and ADx000 headphones, the other ones aren't the "3D" ones, technically. The "3D" ones have a forward and backward rotating capability that the traditional wings don't have...and that's a nit-picky difference, but just so that you know
wink.gif

Thank you, D-EJ915 for pointing that out. As I have said, I learn new things about these W headphones (or Audio Technica in general) when I write these reviews. I will study up on the wings. The earlier models might indeed have no forward/backward rotation, but the later models like W100, W11R, W2002 and W1000 should have the 3D wing... back to study!

smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Your reveiws are not only an excellent read, but - much like the headphones you review - they're also pretty to look at. Great job, again!

Thank you, mulveling. I am glad my reviews can keep a fellow woodie lover entertained. (Just took the liberaty of adding you to my Team ATOWF...
biggrin.gif
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
Man, this made my morning. Thanks again for another wonderful review.

Thank you, bobeau... Thinking about change the L to a W someday? [size=xx-small]Actually all this talk of L3000 recently has got me thinking...[/size]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Another beautiful *** and informative *** job Overlunge!

I wish your HF-1 number were higher because you wouldn't be holding out on the pics like those other lucky souls who already have them and don't seem willing to share some virtual love with the rest of us.

Thanks, Voltron. That's right, you can see I am hopeless when it comes to the woodies... I would take picture before I even listen and post a thread! Drool...

Overlunge

Sep 14, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
s I have said, I learn new things about these W headphones (or Audio Technica in general) when I write these reviews. I will study up on the wings. The earlier models might indeed have no forward/backward rotation, but the later models like W100, W11R, W2002 and W1000 should have the 3D wing... back to study!

Nope! A true woody needs no 3d wing.

Thanks for the review - quite interesting, isn't it? How different the W10LTD and W10VTG are. I think the W10LTD sounds much closer to the W100, though I'm not super-experienced with that phone.

Hmm, I really ought to listen more to the W2002 before I decide to sell it... but somehow the W10VTG is keeping me happy enough.

Best,

-Jason

Sep 14, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
Very informative & educational.

Thanks,

- augustwest

Thank you, augustwest!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Nope! A true woody needs no 3d wing.

Thanks for the review - quite interesting, isn't it? How different the W10LTD and W10VTG are. I think the W10LTD sounds much closer to the W100, though I'm not super-experienced with that phone.

Hmm, I really ought to listen more to the W2002 before I decide to sell it... but somehow the W10VTG is keeping me happy enough.

Best,

-Jason

Spot on, Jason. I just had a quick look through the Audio Technica Website, there's not mention of '3D' in any of the W series... All reviews are modified! Thanks, Jason [size=xx-small] (the closet woodie fanboy, answer to your calling!)[/size]

I too enjoy hearing the evolutionary change in AT's voicing of the W's... and as soon as I get hold a pair of JPN... the review will follow!

Overlunge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back