Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
May 24, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #2,521 of 2,669
Hello everyone, I'm looking to get a pair of R70x, and also have a cable with Neutrik 3.5mm connectors. Does anyone know if they will fit the R70x? Thanks

nenys231bg.jpg
I’m sorry, they won’t.

R70X use a proprietary locking mechanism, I had to buy a special cable on Aliexpress.

May 25, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #2,528 of 2,669
Yep I'm aware of that thanks! I kind of find the mini xlr bulky for the interconnect, so I'm looking for something like a pc cable connector for the aesthetics :D

1685015519118.png

May 26, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #2,530 of 2,669
These are fabulous with classical music, no matter what the consensus is: that they are not particular good with complex and dense music.
Instrument separation and imaging are spot on, in a natural way, like attending a real live performance and sitting at the right spot. This means you don't get every tiny detail, you luckily don't hear that the hoboïst is having issues with his hemorrhoids and is sitting on a donut seat cushion that quietly squeaks at times. Some instruments blend in busy and dense passages, just like it would in 'real life'. Tonality and timbre are outstanding, while soundstage only lacks a little bit of depth. With classical music the dynamics are really good, especially since I drive them with the high gain setting on my Marantz DAC/amp.
Man, these headphones appear to be vastly underappreciated!

May 26, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #2,531 of 2,669
These are fabulous with classical music, no matter what the consensus is: that they are not particular good with complex and dense music.
Instrument separation and imaging are spot on, in a natural way, like attending a real live performance and sitting at the right spot. This means you don't get every tiny detail, you luckily don't hear that the hoboïst is having issues with his hemorrhoids and is sitting on a donut seat cushion that quietly squeaks at times. Some instruments blend in busy and dense passages, just like it would in 'real life'. Tonality and timbre are outstanding, while soundstage only lacks a little bit of depth. With classical music the dynamics are really good, especially since I drive them with the high gain setting on my Marantz DAC/amp.
Man, these headphones appear to be vastly underappreciated!
I never thought they were lacking in detail and they handle complex tracks without issue. To me these headphones are a better version of the HD 660S, similar tonality, but the 660S felt more strained (what hurts the 660S for me, I like it's FR balance) and is lacking in the sub-bass extension. Not to mention the R70x images better than any of the HD 6xx line. The HD 660S2 takes a different turn in terms of tonality, taking a warmer bassier tone with even more relaxed upper mids with a tad more treble energy, while I liked it, I prefer my T1.3's take on the darker/warmer sound signature.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #2,532 of 2,669
Apparently the R70X doesn't need a dedicated amp at all. I have been plugging the phones in the headphones outs of my Marantz CD5000, Marantz CD6000KI and Yamaha CDX-870. (My Denon DCD 1450 AR has died)
All three CD players have no trouble driving the R70Xs, the volume doesn't need to be cranked wide open at all, they all keep under 9 o'çlock, similar to the high gain of my Audio audio gd r2r 11 and medium gain of my Marantz HD-DAC 1.

(Differences in sound? Almost non existent. The HD-DAC 1 however has the smoothest sound with a pitch black background and it sounds the most open and layered. But the difference is very small. All three CD players outputs have a very slight hiss with certain recordings, not a constant hiss, but an occasional very subtle, almost non detectable high frequency noise that comes in tiny waves. I have no other words to describe it. The Audio gd output has this as well, but less frequent. The HD-DAC 1 doesn't at all.)

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #2,533 of 2,669
I have owned and used a pair of these for many years now. I have not seen the need to buy anything else and that is a high compliment. They are not perfect but they sound good and they are very comfortable to wear. The only gripe people seem to have is if their ears are too big and don't fit in the cups. If that is the case you should give these cans a pass. Otherwise I could not recommend them highly enough.

Jun 8, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #2,534 of 2,669
Still using my pair after many years. I have Shure Alcantara pads on them right now. Between these, portapro drivers on ear clips, and a few IEMs I've been satisfied for a long time. Just ordered some Grado 325X to spice up my life and I'll probably disappear from head-fi for a long time again from being content.

Can't say I prefer them over the 6XX series from Sennheiser completely, but one thing that is surely better is comfort. I tried for many years but Sennheisers just clamp my head like a vice no matter how long I burn them in.

I'll add my opinion to the soundstage + imaging discussion. I find the R70x to have good, maybe even great imaging and a close soundstage. Just compare them to something like the K702 and you can tell. I think this is also where the "can't keep up with a busy mix" statement comes from. The intimacy makes it harder to pick out things because of the lack of depth. That said, a big soundstage suffers the same problem to me because they often lack imaging. Headphones all likely have their own sweet spot for soundstage + imaging that's a factor of driver, cup, pad material, pad depth, etc. and they just don't all nail it. It's probably the least important aspect of any tweaking done by the engineers for something in this price range. They're prioritizing FR, which the R70x gets right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back