Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Jan 1, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #2,461 of 2,669
The brainwavz (velour oval) pads came in and are comfortable, but totally killed the sound on them. They lost tons of detail. To me, they're not usable at all on the r70x just for this.

However, the original pads are now much more comfy and tolerable after having to stretch them and play around with them to get them back on :D

Jan 1, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #2,462 of 2,669
Hi, does anyone has a loose hinge on their r70X? Mine has started to loosen after 4 years. Or does anyone know a fix for it? I have disassembled it and tightened the screws but it still became loose after a few days of use. Thanks in advance.

A bit late reply, but hinge(s) on my R70X have been loose pretty much as long as I remember. I've had mine for over 4 years at this point as well and it haven't been a real issue yet though (although I haven't used the headphones every single day). I think it's a pretty bad design flaw IMO and not forgiveable even for a $300 headphone.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #2,463 of 2,669
A bit late reply, but hinge(s) on my R70X have been loose pretty much as long as I remember. I've had mine for over 4 years at this point as well and it haven't been a real issue yet though (although I haven't used the headphones every single day). I think it's a pretty bad design flaw IMO and not forgiveable even for a $300 headphone.
Yeah it is the only issue I had with this headphone, the sound quality is great but that bugs me quite a bit since it does not create a good seal due to the loose hinge. I did manage to disassemble it and tighten the screws but it is not a long-term solution.

Jan 2, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #2,464 of 2,669
The brainwavz (velour oval) pads came in and are comfortable, but totally killed the sound on them. They lost tons of detail. To me, they're not usable at all on the r70x just for this.

However, the original pads are now much more comfy and tolerable after having to stretch them and play around with them to get them back on :D
I think new pads cant fix the problem, these headphones even with the original pads lose tons of detail, because there no full-fledged mids in them. I recently bought an AKG K612 - that where the fantastic mids is.

Jan 2, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #2,465 of 2,669
I had previously extolled the virtues of the Brainwavz XL velour pads in this thread. After some of the recent discussion here about replacement pads I decided to give the original pads another shot and the difference is pretty clear. I didn't realize how much detail I was losing until I put the original pads back on and honestly they're more comfortable too. I do have relatively small ears so the shallowness of the cups doesn't bother me. I also wear relatively thick glasses frames, which is why I went for the thicker Brainwavz pads in the first place, but the original pads are super comfortable so far.

I think I'll be sticking with the original pads, loving these headphones much more now! I usually wear them all day during the work week, so I'm interested to see how the comfort of the original pads holds up.

Jan 8, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #2,466 of 2,669
I actually use the R70x and I am very happy with them. Now I am looking for a headphone with similar tonality and better technicalities. I searched in this thread for comparisons and i read that the Clear is more a sidegrade than an upgrade. It's a difficult decision. Maybe it is better to keep the r70x until the Clear is here. I use a Smsl SH-9 and D-6 and i don't want to change cables and so on. I'd be happy about some more comparisons. But it seems to be that the Clear is not the next logical step and it could be more different than better.

Jan 9, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #2,467 of 2,669
I actually use the R70x and I am very happy with them. Now I am looking for a headphone with similar tonality and better technicalities. I searched in this thread for comparisons and i read that the Clear is more a sidegrade than an upgrade. It's a difficult decision. Maybe it is better to keep the r70x until the Clear is here. I use a Smsl SH-9 and D-6 and i don't want to change cables and so on. I'd be happy about some more comparisons. But it seems to be that the Clear is not the next logical step and it could be more different than better.
Yes the best part of the R70X is its tonality and not its outright resolution. The HD650 can give you a better resolution with impeccable tonality but for that you will need a very pricey OTL amp to make it reach that level. So for me the Hifiman Ananda is a natural upgrade to the r70x with great tonality and much better resolution if you do not mind the planar timbre.

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #2,468 of 2,669

The Clear is very similar to the r70x, but better technically to me. If you like the tonality of the r70x, you will most likely like the Clear's as well.

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #2,470 of 2,669
I did the exact upgrade, from R70X to a Focal Clear, and if the weight of the Focals is not an issue they are much cleaner sounding. Sound-stage might not be as big but the detail is better.

I would consider the Clear to be a much better upgrade over the R70X, but i also always felt like the AT isn't fitting my head properly, especially around the ear cups part.

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #2,471 of 2,669
I did the exact upgrade, from R70X to a Focal Clear, and if the weight of the Focals is not an issue they are much cleaner sounding. Sound-stage might not be as big but the detail is better.

I would consider the Clear to be a much better upgrade over the R70X, but i also always felt like the AT isn't fitting my head properly, especially around the ear cups part.
This is exactly the reason I ended up upgrading from the r70x. The earcups were never as comfortable as my other headphones, and all the long time posts of one of the earcups breaking off or coming loose, I just got rid of them (have the Clears now and I agree, they are an upgrade mostly). I still haven't found anything that has as wide and imaging detail as the r70x, with the luscious tone, which is a shame since they were the perfect gaming headphone also.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #2,473 of 2,669
My stock cable started cutting out on me, got a replacement from Hart Audio. Really love it, seems well made and a lot lighter than the stock cable so the headphones sit a bit more comfortably. Had to go the custom route since they don't have a cable for the R70X listed, but that also meant I got to get a fancy fun color.

Attachments

• IMG_1657.jpeg
    IMG_1657.jpeg
    691.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1654.jpeg
    IMG_1654.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 8, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #2,475 of 2,669

I have both. I can say the r70x in a certain degree can hold its own against the Clear.
Where the Clear is better: detail retreival. It's more resolving. If the r70x is a good 1080p monitor, the Clear is a 2k monitor. Bass extension on the Clear is better also., as well as more dynamic and punchy sound. Tonality wise is a tie... both headphones share the same warm/neutral tonality, just a bit different flavour.
Where the R70x is better: Biggest soundstage, Better separation, smoother yet resolving highs (some one found the clear fatiguing).
I think the r70x is the lost sister of the hd600 and hd650.

On a good system I bet the r70x can scale and the difference with the clear will be not so much (not 5 times the price). Anyway, listening to vocals for example, the Clear gives this "extra detail" that can be trilling for audiophiles.

Without the Clear I'll be 100% happy with hd600 or r70x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back