Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Sep 20, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #2,191 of 2,669
Oct 17, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #2,192 of 2,669
I received balanced 4.4 cable from AliExpress. It does not sound right, sounds so different in so many ways. Specifically I noticed that soundstage is different - deeper and narrower. Listening to king crimson I noticed that brass sounds like it was reversed in time. Sounds to me like phase is mismatched or something like this. I know that r70x connection is independent of left and right channel, but manufacturer proposed me to make left+right. Is that possible? Does someone have similar cable termination?

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #2,193 of 2,669
This continues to be somewhat of a ‘rare club’ which in all honesty boggles the mind. One should think that this headphone would appeal to the classic Sennheiser crowd as both the tuning is right on the money as well as the 470 ohms worth of dampening factor that go together with the exact same types of tube amps as the Sennies do. What you get with the Maude Technical is a better extended and defined bass as well as a somewhat darker low treble. This ultimately makes for a very realistic listening experience with just a touch of warmth to the overall proceedings.
My friend who works as a music producer tells me that these indeed have become his new favourite headphones, both for job applications as well as for just pure enjoyment. His previous complaint about the classic Sennies (still owns both the 600 and 650) is the lack of deep bass. The R70X isn’t exactly reaching for the depths of Mordor like a proper planar either, but it’s close enough to not matter - as he put it..and I very much agree. Getting more deep bass out of any headphone, that isn’t planar magnetic, will result in closing off the cups..and you end up with something like a ZMF Auteur, if you still want to keep the neutral tonality in check…yet to get there, you inadvertently opted for a semi-closed headphone over a real openback, disregarding how it’s advertised.
Nahh I think the R70X hits the sweet spot. It manages to pull off detailed and great textured bass with great extension..and it still sounds like a true openback coconut:)

Btw I know many have been wondering about the availability of spare pads, so I contacted Maude herself and she told me that they indeed sell spare pads for the R70X. If you can’t find them on their website then shoot them a message.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #2,194 of 2,669
This continues to be somewhat of a ‘rare club’ which in all honesty boggles the mind. One should think that this headphone would appeal to the classic Sennheiser crowd as both the tuning is right on the money as well as the 470 ohms worth of dampening factor that go together with the exact same types of tube amps as the Sennies do. What you get with the Maude Technical is a better extended and defined bass as well as a somewhat darker low treble. This ultimately makes for a very realistic listening experience with just a touch of warmth to the overall proceedings.
My friend who works as a music producer tells me that these indeed have become his new favourite headphones, both for job applications as well as for just pure enjoyment. His previous complaint about the classic Sennies (still owns both the 600 and 650) is the lack of deep bass. The R70X isn’t exactly reaching for the depths of Mordor like a proper planar either, but it’s close enough to not matter - as he put it..and I very much agree. Getting more deep bass out of any headphone, that isn’t planar magnetic, will result in closing off the cups..and you end up with something like a ZMF Auteur, if you still want to keep the neutral tonality in check…yet to get there, you inadvertently opted for a semi-closed headphone over a real openback, disregarding how it’s advertised.
Nahh I think the R70X hits the sweet spot. It manages to pull off detailed and great textured bass with great extension..and it still sounds like a true openback coconut:)

Btw I know many have been wondering about the availability of spare pads, so I contacted Maude herself and she told me that they indeed sell spare pads for the R70X. If you can’t find them on their website then shoot them a message.

I personally do find this is a pretty rare club as well, I'm surprised it's not more popular either. This headphone basically replaces the HD 6xx series for me and is currently my number 2 headphone and they aren't going anywhere. Number 1 is the T1 Gen 3 but that's a different tuning but I find the R70X the perfect compliment to my main headphone and is used almost as much. There may be more contenders in the future but I do think this headphone is quite underrated and underappreciated. I also think these are more comfortable than the HD 6xx series, clamp isn't as bad, pads feel better on the skin (I always found the HD 6 series pads kinda itchy), drivers are angled allowing more earcup space than it seems at first, headband is more comfortable, and they weigh like nothing. My ears tend to prefer angled drivers in terms of imaging, presentation, so that is another plus for me.

Good to hear, I had a feeling you could just contact them for new pads but never confirmed, I've had my R70X's for a few months now and am completely happy with them.

Oct 18, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #2,195 of 2,669
I also think these are more comfortable than the HD 6xx series, clamp isn't as bad, pads feel better on the skin (I always found the HD 6 series pads kinda itchy), drivers are angled allowing more earcup space than it seems at first, headband is more comfortable, and they weigh like nothing. My ears tend to prefer angled drivers in terms of imaging, presentation, so that is another plus for me.

Oh yes! I had the HD650 for a short while and the clamp was something that bothered me quickly.

The ergonomics of the R70x are pretty much as good as it gets. Super lightweight, adjustable clamp, like a feather on the head feel.

The tuning is also very well done. The first time I heard an electric guitar on them my reaction was "Oh, so that's how it's supposed to sound".

I am not getting rid of my pair.

Oct 18, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #2,196 of 2,669
I personally do find this is a pretty rare club as well, I'm surprised it's not more popular either. This headphone basically replaces the HD 6xx series for me and is currently my number 2 headphone and they aren't going anywhere. Number 1 is the T1 Gen 3 but that's a different tuning but I find the R70X the perfect compliment to my main headphone and is used almost as much. There may be more contenders in the future but I do think this headphone is quite underrated and underappreciated. I also think these are more comfortable than the HD 6xx series, clamp isn't as bad, pads feel better on the skin (I always found the HD 6 series pads kinda itchy), drivers are angled allowing more earcup space than it seems at first, headband is more comfortable, and they weigh like nothing. My ears tend to prefer angled drivers in terms of imaging, presentation, so that is another plus for me.

Good to hear, I had a feeling you could just contact them for new pads but never confirmed, I've had my R70X's for a few months now and am completely happy with them.
+1 on the comfort, while I find the HD 6xx series very comfortable, my best friend and colleague, who's a complete non-audiophile, and has tested many, many of my headphones, finds all of them failing his comfort requirements because he is super sensitive on the top of his head and basically wants "ideally, something to float above my head" -- and the R70X is literally the only pair of headphones I've ever given him that completely pass his extraordinarily tough comfort test. :)

Oct 19, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #2,197 of 2,669

I had absolutely no problem getting spare pads from AT in the Netherlands.

Oct 29, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #2,198 of 2,669
Sorry if this question has been asked recently, I have skimmed through the thread but couldn't find a specific answer.
What would be a good amp pair (preferably solid state) with these in the cheaper price range? I was initially set on getting an Asgard 3, but I saw some comments about how it pairs quite poorly.

Oct 29, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #2,199 of 2,669
Sorry if this question has been asked recently, I have skimmed through the thread but couldn't find a specific answer.
What would be a good amp pair (preferably solid state) with these in the cheaper price range? I was initially set on getting an Asgard 3, but I saw some comments about how it pairs quite poorly.
The cayin iha6 is a good amp that pairs well with the r70x. Have to get it used though.

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #2,200 of 2,669
That combo sounds great to me, I have both and I can't find any weakness by using the r70x +Asgard 3.

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #2,201 of 2,669
The cayin iha6 is a good amp that pairs well with the r70x. Have to get it used though.
Thanks for the suggestion! This one looks good, but it's quite pricey. I don't think I can find any used ones here in Australia, it's readily available new for about 3x what an Asgard 3 would cost though.

That combo sounds great to me, I have both and I can't find any weakness by using the r70x +Asgard 3.
That's good to hear. Have you compared it directly to a tube amp?

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #2,202 of 2,669
Thanks for the suggestion! This one looks good, but it's quite pricey. I don't think I can find any used ones here in Australia, it's readily available new for about 3x what an Asgard 3 would cost though.

R70x sounds great with all my Schiit amps, SS, hybrid and tube. I especially like it with Valhalla2, with good NOS tubes.

Nov 1, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #2,203 of 2,669

Yes, I had the elemental watson tube amp. Nothing in common.

Nov 2, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #2,204 of 2,669
R70x sounds great with all my Schiit amps, SS, hybrid and tube. I especially like it with Valhalla2, with good NOS tubes.
Great! In that case I'll probably just stick with my original plan to get an Asgard 3, and maybe I'll check out tubes later. I do actually already have a Little Dot MkII but I don't like to use it because it picks up too much electrical noise.

Yes, I had the elemental watson tube amp. Nothing in common.
Ok thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back