Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Aug 30, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #2,176 of 2,669
Yep if the cable is acting as a filter please post some evidence. There will be graphs.

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #2,177 of 2,669
Yep if the cable is acting as a filter please post some evidence. There will be graphs.
It's not a controversial thought that a cable with a lot of impedance can impact drivers with very low impedance, especially those with multiple low nonlinear impedances (ie. multi driver BA IEMs). I can see a cable interacting with an LCD-X or something.

But man, you'd need to have a cable made with elevator cable and shielded with concrete to make a dent in 470 ohms.

Aug 31, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #2,178 of 2,669
It's not a controversial thought that a cable with a lot of impedance can impact drivers with very low impedance, especially those with multiple low nonlinear impedances (ie. multi driver BA IEMs). I can see a cable interacting with an LCD-X or something.

But man, you'd need to have a cable made with elevator cable and shielded with concrete to make a dent in 470 ohms.
A graph comparing cables for IEMs would be great. Please link here and prove me wrong.

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #2,180 of 2,669
Anybody have a sensitivity graph for the R70x? Because according to the sound science forums headphones have higher sensitivity at lower frequencies. With my AMP probably outputing 21mW at 470Ohms and 9mW at 900Ohm (maybe just in low gain) I can at least hit 110dB peaks. Not bad?

My AMP only outputs 28mW@300Ohms but thats probably on low gain. But in a review it could drive a 150Ohm 89dB/mW headphone very loud on low gain at half volume.

Sep 16, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #2,181 of 2,669
Hello everyone.
I tried going through the whole thread but got lost along the way, so Im gonna have to ask here:

could anyone please draw a comparison between the r70x and DT1990?
I have a few Beyers and was looking for something different and reading the impressions here the r70x sound almost too good. I did also come across some pretty contradictory reviews though, and I'm somewhat afraid they might end up being a step down. So - is there anything they do on par with the DT1990s? Better? Worse? Why...

Anyway, thanks!

Sep 16, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #2,182 of 2,669
I have both. The DT1990s are clearly better, yet they have a slightly sharp treble which can affect tonal balance. Also, the R70x are easier to drive properly.

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #2,183 of 2,669
I have auditioned my friend’s beloved DT1990 many times by now and own the R70X. I find the Maude Technical to be on another level altogether with one of - if not the finest natural presentations found in a headphone. The DT1990 on the other hand hurts my teeth. The treble is simply unacceptable for any extent of time for my tastes. Reminds me of Timothy Leary talking about shrooms and the sound that goes NNNNNNNIIIIEEEHHHHHHNNGG when things start to unfold. The Beyer makes this sound all the time no matter the song.

Then again…like the poster above..my friend feels the opposite. He does not like neutral headphones and has always prefered headphones with sparkle like the DT1990, HD800S and Master SE-1.
It’s always a matter of tastebuds anyhoo. Slapping a sticker like ‘the best’ on anything that revolves around subjectivity is insane.

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #2,184 of 2,669
could anyone please draw a comparison between the r70x and DT1990?
I like how exciting and revealing the DT-1990 sounds, I like how well-built it feels and it was very comfortable on my head. But I got fatigued by the treble very quickly. I tried EQ and that made it better, but I still perceived the treble as grainy. While listening to it I was hearing details very easily, but I was always listening to the headphones rather than the music.

The R70x sounds less exciting and is less revealing. It doesn't feel like a tank and the earpads are slightly too small for my ears. But it sounds warmer and more balanced than the DT-1990. It is also totally free of fatigue. It sounds very coherent and presents a holistic picture of the music. It's very easy-going and it lets me listen to the artist instead of the technology. After listening for half an hour I always realize how unique of an experience that is. Mind you, it's warm but not veiled, and it might not be the king of detail but everything is there and if you want to, it allows for analytic listening. I also think it has a perfect price/performance ratio.

If I wanted a headphone that would ruthlessly reveal mistakes in a recording, I would buy the DT-1990. For long sessions of leisurely listening, my choice was the R70x.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #2,185 of 2,669
Having owned both, tonally the R70X is better. But the DT 1990 Pro is the more resolving headphone. As to which I prefer, I prefer the R70X over the DT 1990 as I prefer the tuning and find it one of the most pleasant headphones I’ve owned to listen to long term. The DT 1990 can be a fun listen but I found it kind of fatiguing over time and I have a T1.3 instead now.

Sep 16, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #2,186 of 2,669
Thank you for the input!
Having owned both, tonally the R70X is better. But the DT 1990 Pro is the more resolving headphone. As to which I prefer, I prefer the R70X over the DT 1990 as I prefer the tuning and find it one of the most pleasant headphones I’ve owned to listen to long term. The DT 1990 can be a fun listen but I found it kind of fatiguing over time and I have a T1.3 instead now.
The thing is I already have Dt880 & T1 2nd, so in terms of detail I think I'm covered. That's why what you and others above wrote is actually very interesting, as it appears despite its technical drawbacks the r70x does bring something new to the table. I could definitely enjoy a laid back dark-ish headphone suitable for long sessions. I was concerned about it being shouty though, as I'm a bit sensitive to mids too forward.

Sep 16, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #2,187 of 2,669
That's why what you and others above wrote is actually very interesting, as it appears despite its technical drawbacks the r70x does bring something new to the table. I could definitely enjoy a laid back dark-ish headphone suitable for long sessions. I was concerned about it being shouty though, as I'm a bit sensitive to mids too forward.
I wouldn't really say the R70x has technical drawbacks, not at that price anyway. Also, I can't say it's dark at all. It's warm but it has well-defined highs. It is really close to Harman target curve. It's one of the least shouty headphones I've heard so I think you would be safe in that regard.

Sep 16, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #2,188 of 2,669
Thank you for the input!

The thing is I already have Dt880 & T1 2nd, so in terms of detail I think I'm covered. That's why what you and others above wrote is actually very interesting, as it appears despite its technical drawbacks the r70x does bring something new to the table. I could definitely enjoy a laid back dark-ish headphone suitable for long sessions. I was concerned about it being shouty though, as I'm a bit sensitive to mids too forward.

I don’t find the headphone shouty at all and I have a lot of trouble with shouty headphones. I have trouble with the HD 600/650 long-term because I find them a little shouty in the upper mids but not really the R70X. The R70X takes a bit of the presence off the 2-3khz region compared to the Senns by a few DB which helps a lot imho. They aren’t really dark, maybe slightly, they are more like a slightly warmer and less shouty HD 600. Dark is the T1 Gen 3 and Nighthawk.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #2,189 of 2,669
Now with FAW Hybrid Series cable. A clear improvement in transparency and bass extension:

76C74E7E-C687-431E-A6CC-EA14FC9E8BD1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back