Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Aug 7, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #2,146 of 2,669
Liking the brainwavz XL micro suede pads a lot
Hi, how's your experience with these pads so far? What do you like about them?

I'm looking for replacement earpads for my R70x and I saw your comment so I'm quite curious to try Brainwavz but there are just too much variants for xl.

Also, you mentioned you've got a DT770 as well. Have you tried your Beyer pads on the R70x?

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #2,147 of 2,669
Hi, how's your experience with these pads so far? What do you like about them?

I'm looking for replacement earpads for my R70x and I saw your comment so I'm quite curious to try Brainwavz but there are just too much variants for xl.

Also, you mentioned you've got a DT770 as well. Have you tried your Beyer pads on the R70x?
Beyer pads do not fit on the R70X. Beyer pads have a very thin outer lip which does not go on them.

I have multiple Brainwavz pads. The custom hybrid velour, the HM5 (oval) velour, and the XL micro suede. All of them are larger than the stock suede pads. The custom hybrid and Hm5 velour alter the sound a lot. I like both of those more on the DT770s, especially the custom hybrid. I thought those sounded awful on the R70X. The hybrid has an inner perforated leather liner, and velour on the outside that touches your head. They make the R70X sound hollow, which is quite an achievement.

The XL suede does fit though it is a bit large, but I have not had any issues with them coming off. It is very, very similar to the stock pads in sound to my ears while adding some much needed breathing room. I have the normal one, not the memory cooling gel. So it likely compresses about the same as the stock pad. Judging from how much better the micro suede sounds than the hybrid or velours, I'd guess the material has a lot to do with the sound signature with these, since the inner diameter of the stock pads is more similar to the smaller custom hybrid and HM5 pads.

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #2,148 of 2,669
Beyer pads do not fit on the R70X. Beyer pads have a very thin outer lip which does not go on them.

I have multiple Brainwavz pads. The custom hybrid velour, the HM5 (oval) velour, and the XL micro suede. All of them are larger than the stock suede pads. The custom hybrid and Hm5 velour alter the sound a lot. I like both of those more on the DT770s, especially the custom hybrid. I thought those sounded awful on the R70X. The hybrid has an inner perforated leather liner, and velour on the outside that touches your head. They make the R70X sound hollow, which is quite an achievement.

The XL suede does fit though it is a bit large, but I have not had any issues with them coming off. It is very, very similar to the stock pads in sound to my ears while adding some much needed breathing room. I have the normal one, not the memory cooling gel. So it likely compresses about the same as the stock pad. Judging from how much better the micro suede sounds than the hybrid or velours, I'd guess the material has a lot to do with the sound signature with these, since the inner diameter of the stock pads is more similar to the smaller custom hybrid and HM5 pads.
Thanks for the detailed reply. You sold me on the XL Micro Suede.

Aug 13, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #2,151 of 2,669
You can connect them. But only one side will play. For both side working you would need some DIY with two of them.
That's why I'm asking about running 2.
Mostly just concerned if the pinout is the same.

Planning on connecting em with a splitter.
Since it's easier then getting a V split cable.

Aug 13, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #2,152 of 2,669
That's why I'm asking about running 2.
Mostly just concerned if the pinout is the same.

Planning on connecting em with a splitter.
Since it's easier then getting a V split cable.
I just tried it with my HD560S cable. L/R routing works still correctly no matter which side you plug it in. L/R 2.5mm<->3.5mm pinout is the same. The difference is made in the socket wiring.

My solution is a HD660S (10€) spare cable + some DIY plugs (~10$) . Now its shorter + balanced. You will loose interchangeable ability this way as there were only two cables fo each side (in case its important to you).

Attachments

• B673BE6F-7C2D-4F54-B0D4-02FB1098A4AB.jpeg
    B673BE6F-7C2D-4F54-B0D4-02FB1098A4AB.jpeg
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
Aug 13, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #2,153 of 2,669
I just tried it with my HD560S cable. L/R routing works still correctly no matter which side you plug it in.
What I expected. Wanted to be 100% sure though.
So thanks for that :)

Planning on grabbing a pair of m50x / hd599 custom cables and connecting them with a 1-2 1/4 splitter. Or a xlr-2x1/4 if I'll get something balanced.

Aug 15, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #2,154 of 2,669
Shure 1540 alcantara pads are good. But if the stock pads bother you in size, these aren't much better and may be even less comfortable because they get warm quickly.

But I gotta say the bass on them is nice. Less sound stage and openness than the big Brainwavz XL micro suede, but the bass is tighter and more controlled.

Aug 25, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #2,155 of 2,669
Had these headphones a couple of months now.

These are one of those headphones we will look back on in 20 years and call them a classic I think.

The tuning of these cans, the tonality is so close to perfect.
Price: performance is incredible
They sound so good, with every single genre.
Weigh virtually nothing, often forget they are on your head.
Pair with an adequate amp/dac and call it a day.

Audio Technica smashed it out of the park with these.

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #2,156 of 2,669
Picked these up for €135 on eBay. Very impressed so far. Out of the Tzar, they absolutely disappear. They are, in terms of transparency, better than the HD600 and DT1990. The soundstage could be wider though… On the whole, they sound like good BA IEMs, only to be worn over the ear!

Will have Matt at FAW make up some Copper Series balanced cables for them. His entry-level product strikes me as very neutral and good value for money, and I have a suitable “pigtail” for single-ended operation. Looking forward to trying them balanced out of my modded DX7 Pro.

They are a tight fit, though. I can just about get them to fit my big head. I am, however, one of those fortunate people whom AT woodies fit straight out of the box…

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #2,157 of 2,669
Compulsory listening:

Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section
Kenny Burrell: Midnight Blue (HD Tape Transfers 192kHz version)
Joe Lovano: Garden of Expression (esp. Track 8 “Zen Like”)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #2,158 of 2,669
I’m having second thoughts about that FAW Copper Series cable. Maybe they deserve something better (e.g. FAW Hybrid), with better top end extension. Also, I feel that the DX7 Pro can drive them more than adequately in single ended mode. Furthermore, the SE output seems to sound brighter and more detailed, if less powerful and bassy…

Aug 27, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #2,159 of 2,669
As I get to know them better, I am finding the upper bass a little strong (reminiscent of the “LS3/5A hump“). I wonder if a hybrid or even silver cable might help here.

Aug 27, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #2,160 of 2,669
BTW, just like the LS3/5As, these absolutely nail solo piano!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back