Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Jun 29, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #2,086 of 2,666
The fact that many of you are comparing these to the likes of HD800, HE500 makes me want to buy these as soon as I can.

They are ridicously cheap in here Australia at $389.

I haven't had time to read through the entire thread, but are the comparable to the HE-500? how else would you guys describe the sound of these when properly amped?
Well, they aren’t as detailed or technically capable as the HE-500. But they do resemble them in terms of soundstage and imaging, and tonal balance. With Hifiman Dekoni pads, the R70X sounds better too. So it’s still more on the level of HD600 in terms of technical performance and tonally, but has much better imaging and soundstage to me, close to the HE-500.

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #2,087 of 2,666
Well, they aren’t as detailed or technically capable as the HE-500. But they do resemble them in terms of soundstage and imaging, and tonal balance. With Hifiman Dekoni pads, the R70X sounds better too. So it’s still more on the level of HD600 in terms of technical performance and tonally, but has much better imaging and soundstage to me, close to the HE-500.
Could you please comment on which Hifiman Dekoni pads ? They make several kinds. Which are model are you referring too?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #2,088 of 2,666
Could you please comment on which Hifiman Deloni pads ? They make several kinds. Which are model are you referring too?
The Hifiman HE Series Elite Hybrid and Elite Velour. I've tried most of them, but those two sound the best to me.

Jul 3, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #2,089 of 2,666
So I ended up buying these.

Fell in love with them instantly.

Auditioned them against the Focal Clear. 1/5th of the price. Absolute no brainer of a purchase as they hold their own, and weigh about half the weight as well.

Sold my LCD2C which I thought was my end game, but they have some flaws I couldn't live with.
My Sundara is now on the hit list, as I prefer these in every single way.

Why are these not talked about more? is it the 490 impedance?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #2,090 of 2,666

Auditioned them against the Focal Clear. 1/5th of the price. Absolute no brainer of a purchase as they hold their own, and weigh about half the weight as well.

Sold my LCD2C which I thought was my end game, but they have some flaws I couldn't live with.

No, because most audiophile like expensive price tag. These are cheap as per the audiophile standard, light weight and nothing special looking like focal and some planar offerings. Most so called audiophile are more concerned about price, looks, hype and less about sq sadly

Jul 3, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #2,091 of 2,666

Despite 470ohm impedance these are decently loud even with mobile phone. I get sufficient loud sound at around 70 to 80% volume setting in mobile phone.

Jul 3, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #2,092 of 2,666
No, because most audiophile like expensive price tag. These are cheap as per the audiophile standard, light weight and nothing special looking like focal and some planar offerings. Most so called audiophile are more concerned about price, looks, hype and less about sq sadly
I wish that was the case. I have a set of these and find them every bit as good of a listen as my TOTL offerings :). I can’t find a single thing they do wrong or a single frequency that I find lacking. For the price I find them unbeatable and unbelievably good!

Jul 3, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #2,093 of 2,666
I can’t find a single thing they do wrong or a single frequency that I find lacking. For the price I find them unbeatable and unbelievably good!

Same. They’re an absolute steal and massively overlooked IMO.

A happy snap:
225A440D-D07B-411F-B58A-42E3F3CBDB0F.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #2,094 of 2,666
I can’t find a single thing they do wrong or a single frequency that I find lacking. For the price I find them unbeatable and unbelievably good!

My thoughts exactly.

Glad I found this thread.

These do need some amping though....portable like MOJO doesn't cut it.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #2,095 of 2,666
My thoughts exactly.

Yes, they are power hungry. I have the Centrance Hifi-M8 V2 and they sound great on it but it takes max volume to get any useable output on them. They sound much better and more authoritative on my Luxman P-750u or my Formula S/Powerman. Also you should look into getting a silver cable for them to further improve their technicalities. I’m the Lavricables Ulimate Silver on my set and they sound phenomenal. Bass remains big, but tightens up. The midrange gets cleaned up and because clearer and it opens up the treble and and a bit more clarity.

Jul 3, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #2,096 of 2,666
Link to the silver cable?

I am running them off a Corda Classic and Corda Daccord.....and its beautiful.
MOJO sounds a bit muddy and underpowered.

Jul 3, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #2,097 of 2,666
My thoughts exactly.

Mojo has more than enough output. Mojo is has enough current too. Despite 470ohm these portable source friendly. At one time I used dt880 600ohm with mojo. Mojo used to be at light blue

Jul 3, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #2,098 of 2,666
Jul 3, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #2,100 of 2,666
The R70X truly is the best headphone under 500USD. There is none other that even gets close when it comes to imaging, soundstage, dynamics and (planar rivalling) sub-bass. Another huge plus is the scalability these have. The sound with a good SET is just mind bogglingly good. If you have a amp that can push high voltages; the R70x can really be a remarkable audio experience.

I would also like to write about some of my experiences with the Focal Clear and R70X here:

I've had the Clear as part of a swap for about 2 weeks now and I'm supposed to be returning these soon. I did like the sound of the Clear but I kid you not: I listened to the R70X more than the Clear for whatever time I had them. I would sit down to listen and would switch to the R70X in about 30min. The only difference between the two (and not very big) is the overall detail level; the Clear being more forward and "in your face".

The R70X has a very well extended treble but the Clear is just more sparkly and alive up-top. This is also one of Clears' drawback. Poorly recorded material and digital sources can be slightly fatiguing to listen to on the Clear. The R70X on the other hand is relatively relaxed and is more "comfortable" (both sonically and physically).

The Clear also plays better on mobile sources (DAPS and such) while the R70X needs some push to get going. Both scale well with good amplification but I'd prefer the R70X on tubes. The high Z provides ample room for good amps (esp SETs) to damp the driver well and deliver a more controlled performance. This is not to say the Clear is bad, but it just doesn't "come alive" as the R70X does. This is not bad for the Clear either as it sounds better on cheaper amps and those that may not have the grunt to handle the high impedance.

Other than the above, the R70X is just a better headphone especially considering it costs about a fourth of the Focal Clear. Better sub bass, soundstage, imaging, musicality and overall dynamics. It just doesn't do anything wrong. Sure it doesn't have the Mercedes like build quality and aesthetics of the Clear nor does it resolve as well but when it comes to the overall package: I'd still take the R70X any day. The Clear is good but fatiguing. Why should I pay more to listen less?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back