Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Jun 14, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #2,056 of 2,669
R70X isn't on the level of technicalities of the Senneiser 6 series in the highs. I just found the highs disjoint, not all that detailed, just odd sounding in how it images the sounds. I have issues with the treble quality. I did like the bass impact and extension for an open-back dynamic at the pricepoint. it's unusual in that respect. Tonally, good, but technically in the highs, there are better options.
Crinacle.com it's the highest rated for value. It's the difficult prize to win imo as compared to quality alone. Even in sound quality it is very highly rated over hd600, hd650 and hd800s.

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #2,057 of 2,669
Crinacle.com it's the highest rated for value. It's the difficult prize to win imo as compared to quality alone. Even in sound quality it is very highly rated over hd600, hd650 and hd800s.
I don't get the logic? I hear the stuff and form my own opinions. I don't let some chart dictate my opinions. Crinacle has his own, and others do as well.

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #2,058 of 2,669
R70X isn't on the level of technicalities of the Senneiser 6 series in the highs. I just found the highs disjoint, not all that detailed, just odd sounding in how it images the sounds. I have issues with the treble quality. I did like the bass impact and extension for an open-back dynamic at the pricepoint. it's unusual in that respect. Tonally, good, but technically in the highs, there are better options.
Did you try a different cable? I’m finding my Lavricable Ultimate Silver cable to smooth out and attenuate the high frequencies a lot better than the stock cable

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #2,061 of 2,669
I have hd650 too. It has reverse fatigue ie your brain need to work harder to make sense of music due to lack of details specially if you have some activity going around you. R70x is plain joy, every thing is crystal clear right from bass to mids to treble. You forget you are listening through headphones.

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #2,062 of 2,669
I have hd650 too. It has reverse fatigue ie your brain need to work harder to make sense of music due to lack of details specially if you have some activity going around you. R70x is plain joy, every thing is crystal clear right from bass to mids to treble. You forget you are listening through headphones.
I really have no idea what reverse fatigue mean, but sure. I am reminded that R70X is a headphone due to the way it sits on my head. I don't like the pads and the headband is limited in extension.

But then again, all headphonea I wear feel like headphones unless I'm listening with speakers.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #2,063 of 2,669
I look at measurments too, but also listen. Most importanly, I form my own opinions based on what I hear, not on what's on a chart.
Agreed, measurements only tell part of the story. Your ears should always be the deciding factor.

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #2,064 of 2,669
I have hd650 too. It has reverse fatigue ie your brain need to work harder to make sense of music due to lack of details specially if you have some activity going around you. R70x is plain joy, every thing is crystal clear right from bass to mids to treble. You forget you are listening through headp
I really have no idea what reverse fatigue mean, but sure. I am reminded that R70X is a headphone due to the way it sits on my head. I don't like the pads and the headband is limited in extension.

But then again, all headphonea I wear feel like headphones unless I'm listening with speakers.
Reverse fatigue meant, most people have fatigue due to bright sound but here you have fatigue due to less details.

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #2,065 of 2,669
Reverse fatigue meant, most people have fatigue due to bright sound but here you have fatigue due to less details.
That's a new one, I'm not sure if I've gotten fatigue from less details. Sometimes, when we say smooth, we can mean less detailed (could mean treble roll-off) and smoothed out sound. I usually don't get a fatigue connotations with that.

Since I get less details with R70X, should that cause fatigue?

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #2,066 of 2,669
About the R70x and HD650, I own both and use them on my SS and OTL amps. The R70x is a great HP on my SS amp but lags a bit behind the HD650 on my OTL amp especially in slam, mids, vocals, highs and a bit of lesser resolution over all. As good as it scales with better amps, it does lag behind the HD650 which probably has infinite scaling ability. However some things like imaging, sub bass and wee bit of larger head stage all are the R70x advantages of the HD650. HD650 so far pretty much been garbage on anything other than my OTL compared to the R70x.

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #2,067 of 2,669
About the R70x and HD650, I own both and use them on my SS and OTL amps. The R70x is a great HP on my SS amp but lags a bit behind the HD650 on my OTL amp especially in slam, mids, vocals, highs and a bit of lesser resolution over all. As good as it scales with better amps, it does lag behind the HD650 which probably has infinite scaling ability. However some things like imaging, sub bass and wee bit of larger head stage all are the R70x advantages of the HD650. HD650 so far pretty much been garbage on anything other than my OTL compared to the R70x.
There are different solid-states and OTLs. Also, 650 is a popular headphone from folks that use with various amplifiers.

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #2,068 of 2,669
That's a new one, I'm not sure if I've gotten fatigue from less details. Sometimes, when we say smooth, we can mean less detailed (could mean treble roll-off) and smoothed out sound. I usually don't get a fatigue connotations with that.

Since I get less details with R70X, should that cause fatigue?
Beauty of r70x is the one of the flattest peakless frequency response you would ever see for any headphones. Hd650 to me has less details which specially during the noisy (even of slightly noisy) enviornment makes it difficult for brain to make sense of music. It is not like day and night difference between r70x and hd650 but r70x is clearly more enjoyable specially for vocals which have just about right sparkle.

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #2,069 of 2,669
Beauty of r70x is the one of the flattest peakless frequency response you would ever see for any headphones. Hd650 to me has less details which specially during the noisy (even of slightly noisy) enviornment makes it difficult for brain to make sense of music. It is not like day and night difference between r70x and hd650 but r70x is clearly more enjoyable specially for vocals which have just about right sparkle.
I actually think 650 has much greater accurate vocal as it sounds better represented in the upper-mids. That's the main thing I didn't like the R70X, the way the details are represented of the upper-mids. I liked the bass and the driver seemed fast, but the timbre. Sennheiser is well know for it's timbre. I will say though I generally dislike AT tonality, but R70X is the one I can appreciate of the AT line-up. I just don't think it's that technical in terms of detail representation and timbre. I see the strength in how fast the drivers are for electronic music and the bass impact and extension.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #2,070 of 2,669
Better best to try ur self... with ur own gears...

R70x is perform great on my gear, especially desktop setup.

but when I tried HD800s with sheepskin pad, its much better, in tonality or technically to my preference... I still don't like HD800 Treble, or less energetic HD820, but I am in for HD800s...

I do like HD650, for me, the intimate vocal is exceptionally compare to R70x... but again its in my gear pairing...

I still have superlux HD668b, mod to MMCX, so I can tried how Balanced AMP can affects it. EQ a bit, it helps the tonality, but do not expect too much on Technicality

in the end, bro Crin just show the which doors, yet u the one who enter and exp it inside....
TBH, I awares R70x from his list of Headphone charts.. buy the used one, cause its available. and I enjoy it so far.
But there's also others CANS that I find different than what experience... eg. HD800s, for me its neutral that tends to bright depends on what source you plug.

Again IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back