Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
May 25, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #2,026 of 2,669
How do these compare to more expensive cans like the HD800S, Arya or even its bigger brother the ADX5000? I know it’s not a fair comparison but I’m just interested how the R70X holds it’s own against them.
The R70x's have a much warmer overall tonality than all of those headphones. They also have more bass presence but less quality bass. The midrange is more lush on the R70x's but not as clean sounding as those three. The treble is not nearly as extended or as lively as those three headphones as well. The one thing the R70x's have over those three headphones is its musical presentation. The R70x's are a very musical headphone and are a joy to listen too.

May 25, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #2,027 of 2,669
I have now used them extensively with my OTL, SS amps, DAPs and also compared them to the HD650 quite a bit. The HD650 scale better with a good OTL driven by some top driver and power tubes. The areas where the R70x is distinctly better is Imaging, lower bass and a bit wider sound stage on the OTL. Prefer the HD650 everywhere else. These are much better than the HD650 on solid state amps and DAPs.

The only area where I found it better than the ADX5000 is that its a lot more genre friendly than the ADX5000 due to its excellent tonality. But in the genres that the ADX5000 is well suited for like classical, Jazz, Vocal central acoustic stuff, the ADX5000 is hard to beat not just by the R70x but by most HPs regardless of price.

May 25, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #2,028 of 2,669
How do these compare to more expensive cans like the HD800S, Arya or even its bigger brother the ADX5000? I know it’s not a fair comparison but I’m just interested how the R70X holds it’s own against them.
I have only heard the HD800S and ADX5000 briefly, but when it comes to tonality the R70x are some of the most natural sounding headphones I have heard. TOTL headphones can beat them on technical ability, usually more details and better soundstage.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #2,029 of 2,669
Hd800s and adx5000 don't have r7x like neutral presentation. Arya may be close but then arya despite low impedance need high output source.

May 26, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #2,030 of 2,669
The R70x's have a much warmer overall tonality than all of those headphones. They also have more bass presence but less quality bass. The midrange is more lush on the R70x's but not as clean sounding as those three. The treble is not nearly as extended or as lively as those three headphones as well. The one thing the R70x's have over those three headphones is its musical presentation. The R70x's are a very musical headphone and are a joy to listen too.

How do you perceive the transients of the R70x. Would you say it's a slow or a more quickly responding headphone?

May 26, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #2,031 of 2,669
How do you perceive the transients of the R70x. Would you say it's a slow or a more quickly responding headphone?
They are not the fastest, but improve quite a bite with a silver cable. The silver cable also improves the overall clarity of the headphone. Imaging is clearer, the bass tightens up and the midrange becomes cleaner. From what I’m hearing it’s a much more competent headphone with a silver cable. It compares and competes very well with the other headphones in my collection with the addition of a quality silver cable.

Jun 2, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #2,033 of 2,669
not compared but imo the reason these sound so good because of extremely flat frequency response , in fact the flattest i have seen. the other three don't have such flat response.

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #2,034 of 2,669
even with mobile phone these are loud enough despite 470ohm impedance. best part these are extremely refined and does good justice to thin and bright sources. with higly resolving sources like tt2 and hms these can beat even many totl headphones.

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #2,035 of 2,669
just try HD800s, I kinda give bad judgment to this Cans before because HD800 (don't like the treble), compare to R70x, it has more micro detail, better staging, & better fitting for me.

But I agreed R70x is flat, have more punchier Mid Bass (compare to HD800s), lighter weight (yet not comfortable for glasses user like me). yet cheaper (lol).
better option is to try it all.
I may get HD800s, but I probably keep R70x... IMO that's how I felt now after comparing both.

Jun 3, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #2,036 of 2,669
Things which are too good for price don't survive long as they start eating the share of expensive models and company eventually withdraws it. Remember what happened to chromecast audio and Logitech squeezebox ? So imo better to buy one or even two before it goes out of production. This headphone is the biggest audiophile steal at this price. It easily beats many totl headphones.

Jun 4, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #2,037 of 2,669
just try HD800s, I kinda give bad judgment to this Cans before because HD800 (don't like the treble), compare to R70x, it has more micro detail, better staging, & better fitting for me.

But I agreed R70x is flat, have more punchier Mid Bass (compare to HD800s), lighter weight (yet not comfortable for glasses user like me). yet cheaper (lol).
better option is to try it all.
I may get HD800s, but I probably keep R70x... IMO that's how I felt now after comparing both.
I had both. The HD800 needs some mods or EQ. I think the R70x is more refined in its tuning and less grainy in the treble (HD800 has a bunch of annoying peaks) but it feels like it's missing something. I think the issue is that the treble is a bit too relaxed in some places and a bit peaky at 6-8K. I like the upper treble more on the R70x but I think the overall response is a tad too relaxed for me.

HD800 has the superior width and depth but the imaging is quite unique and odd. Definitely an acquired taste given how it artificially stretches instruments. The R70x is narrower, similar to the HD6X0 series (but can stretch out more to the sides and has up/down imaging), but more precise in terms of instrument location.

Jun 4, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #2,038 of 2,669
I had both. The HD800 needs some mods or EQ. I think the R70x is more refined in its tuning and less grainy in the treble (HD800 has a bunch of annoying peaks) but it feels like it's missing something. I think the issue is that the treble is a bit too relaxed in some places and a bit peaky at 6-8K. I like the upper treble more on the R70x but I think the overall response is a tad too relaxed for me.

HD800 has the superior width and depth but the imaging is quite unique and odd. Definitely an acquired taste given how it artificially stretches instruments. The R70x is narrower, similar to the HD6X0 series (but can stretch out more to the sides and has up/down imaging), but more precise in terms of instrument location.
R70x has angled pads due to which the image is more in front than in your head. The only headphones which are close to r70x in terms of flat frequency response and less peaky are hd560s and hd650. And no wonder both also sound natural. So imo frequency flatness of frequency response matters a lot.

Jun 4, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #2,039 of 2,669

Hi.. u have a valid point..
Well I was interested on HD800s, not HD800

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #2,040 of 2,669
I just tried the R70x's on my Centrance Hifi-M8 V2 and what an incredible sounding combo! I wasn't the sound quality to be this good.

IMG_1084.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back