Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
May 21, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #2,011 of 2,669
Although I do recommend replacing the cable on the R70X, I don't think you need to buy a silver cable. You will notice more significant improvements by purchasing a high-quality balanced cable, running the R70X on a balanced amp on high gain. This is what I have done and I have noticed a 15-20% improvement in sound quality. These changes have eliminated the graininess in the treble and have extended sub-bass impact.

May 21, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #2,013 of 2,669
Although I do recommend replacing the cable on the R70X, I don't think you need to buy a silver cable. You will notice more significant improvements by purchasing a high-quality balanced cable, running the R70X on a balanced amp on high gain. This is what I have done and I have noticed a 15-20% improvement in sound quality. These changes have eliminated the graininess in the treble and have extended sub-bass impact.
My A90 can run it on single ended in medium gain at 40% and it's plenty loud. I'm considering getting a balanced cable but I want to use them on the go as well.

May 22, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #2,014 of 2,669
My A90 can run it on single ended in medium gain at 40% and it's plenty loud. I'm considering getting a balanced cable but I want to use them on the go as well.
Loudness and driving a headphone are two separate things. On my THX 789 on single-ended and high gain, I also managed to make my R70x plenty loud, however, I still felt as though the headphones were holding back. Switching to balanced+high gain really allowed my R70x to open up and reveal its true potential. The most noticeable sonic improvements are that the treble becomes more refined, the bass extends deeper and is more impactful, and there is a greater sense of speed. In short, switching to balanced+high gain doesn't just increase the volume on the R70x, it also changes its sonic characteristics. If you listen primarily to classical, or any genre that is well-mastered and features high-dynamic-range, then balanced+high gain is the way to go for the R70x.

I would not recommend using the R70x in a portable setup. There are very few DAPs or portable amps that can drive it properly, and it's also open-back so your listening experience while outdoors will not be ideal.

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #2,015 of 2,669
I bought a SE cable from Lunashops.
20210513_075140.jpg

It is supple and not microphonic. Connectors fit without problems.

May 22, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #2,016 of 2,669
Loudness and driving a headphone are two separate things. On my THX 789 on single-ended and high gain, I also managed to make my R70x plenty loud, however, I still felt as though the headphones were holding back. Switching to balanced+high gain really allowed my R70x to open up and reveal its true potential. The most noticeable sonic improvements are that the treble becomes more refined, the bass extends deeper and is more impactful, and there is a greater sense of speed. In short, switching to balanced+high gain doesn't just increase the volume on the R70x, it also changes its sonic characteristics. If you listen primarily to classical, or any genre that is well-mastered and features high-dynamic-range, then balanced+high gain is the way to go for the R70x.

I would not recommend using the R70x in a portable setup. There are very few DAPs or portable amps that can drive it properly, and it's also open-back so your listening experience while outdoors will not be ideal.
The amp and DAC choices should always be first over choosing a cable. Once you have your front end sounding the way you want then add your choice of cable to further refine the sound. Going balance does offer a better sound if your amp is designed that way. The THX 789 is one of those amps were the balance output offers better sound quality than the single ended output. So just getting a balanced cable will naturally improve the sound. Adding a better balanced cable tweais the sound even more.

May 22, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #2,019 of 2,669
So is there any place where you can buy original pads for this model? The official website doesn't have them listed. This is a bummer considering this is one of their best headphones and the pads are going to fall apart some day.

May 24, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #2,021 of 2,669
This can be the last headphone you would ever need, these are so musical and enjoyable. Extremely neutral and refined in treble. It beats hd650 in many areas one is vocal "presence" it has just the right sparkle to vocals to bring it clear. Hd650 vocals sounded distant and muted as compared to r70x, may be due to too much upper bass in hd650. Imaging and soundstaging is much much better than hd650 too may be due to angled pads of r70x. Everything is more in front rather than in your head. To me it can be the best companion with highly resolving sources like tt2 +HMS. Even with 470ohm it is slightly louder than hd650.

May 24, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #2,023 of 2,669
I'm quite interested, too. :wink:
Also piqued by the AP2000ti and AD2000x

May 25, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #2,025 of 2,669
How do these compare to more expensive cans like the HD800S, Arya or even its bigger brother the ADX5000? I know it’s not a fair comparison but I’m just interested how the R70X holds it’s own against them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back