Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Apr 23, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #1,621 of 2,669
you sure you didn't mean the other way? to me, for sure, athr70x goes way deeper and has more sub-bass impact than my hd650 (that's what i hate about it the most)
nope, r70x bass is just right for me, compared to 650

edit: even some of my friend said, the low qty of r70x compared to 650 not even on par. 650 gives better detail on low.

both are tested using schiit bifrost 2 + ha22tube.
maybe different pair have different output.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #1,622 of 2,669
R70X bass response is likely to vary greatly based on amplification due to it's absurd impedance graph:

Capture.PNG

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #1,623 of 2,669
R70X bass response is likely to vary greatly based on amplification due to it's absurd impedance graph:

Capture.PNG

It is pretty demanding and I have noted the bass changes a good deal from system to system, but I would say the same for the HD 600/650 and the T1. Not as bad as the T1’s though which goes up to 1400 Ohm in the bass.

Apr 28, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #1,624 of 2,669
I got the R70x's back in the house. I'm finding the pairing incredible with the Burson Swing, Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2, and Shiit Loki. Volume setting between 11 - 12 o'clock and the music is just following out of these headphones. Out of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, the sound gets thicker, bass is deeper and mids become lush just like a good tube amp. So there's a level of transparency and scalability to the R70x's. Listening to them through different amps, they sound a lot like the source feeding them, nice!

IMG_0383.jpg

Apr 28, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #1,625 of 2,669
I ordered these because I want something to replace both my K712 and AD900x. I use A990Z when I often need something closed, and I'll keep the AD900x/K712 for gaming, but I wanted something to replace them for music/movie listening. I use the HD58x in the bedroom with my laptop, plan to use R70x as my dedicated desktop headphone setup. I hope I made the right choice, as I don't have access to demo them. $250 on Ebay.

Choices I was haggling over with weeks of reviews and reading and watching reviews were AD1000x, Sundara, Elex etc. I listen to heavy EDM music often and sometimes I just want volume and clipping issues with Elex were consistent with nearly every review I read, high-end dynamic with bass clipping at volume, shameful. AD1000x I was worried cause they don't extend low from reviews, they got great mid and upper bass slam but I want some sub-bass extension. Sundara complaints I see consistently is they are too laid back, they don't have enough dynamics. Also I'm just paranoid about driver failure from Elex and Sundara. It seems nearly every negative review on Elex are due to driver failure and Massdrop and Focal both seem worthless in addressing that issue.

Having owned AD900, AD900x and A990Z now, and have never had driver clipping, or quality issues, I'm not worried about R70x like I am with Elex or Sundara.

Well I'll eagerly await for them to arrive and check em out. Also will be ordering the Tin T4 probably.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #1,626 of 2,669
I ordered these because I want something to replace both my K712 and AD900x. I use A990Z when I often need something closed, and I'll keep the AD900x/K712 for gaming, but I wanted something to replace them for music/movie listening. I use the HD58x in the bedroom with my laptop, plan to use R70x as my dedicated desktop headphone setup. I hope I made the right choice, as I don't have access to demo them. $250 on Ebay.

Choices I was haggling over with weeks of reviews and reading and watching reviews were AD1000x, Sundara, Elex etc. I listen to heavy EDM music often and sometimes I just want volume and clipping issues with Elex were consistent with nearly every review I read, high-end dynamic with bass clipping at volume, shameful. AD1000x I was worried cause they don't extend low from reviews, they got great mid and upper bass slam but I want some sub-bass extension. Sundara complaints I see consistently is they are too laid back, they don't have enough dynamics. Also I'm just paranoid about driver failure from Elex and Sundara. It seems nearly every negative review on Elex are due to driver failure and Massdrop and Focal both seem worthless in addressing that issue.

Having owned AD900, AD900x and A990Z now, and have never had driver clipping, or quality issues, I'm not worried about R70x like I am with Elex or Sundara.

Well I'll eagerly await for them to arrive and check em out. Also will be ordering the Tin T4 probably.
For music and movies the R70x's should be just fine for that. The high impedance should help with your clipping issue as they can take some volume.

I'm curious to see how these sound with EDM since you mentioned it. I must say that these probably aren't the best for that genre. They don't quite have the speed or sub bass energy that you're looking for to do EDM justice. Don't get me wrong, the R70x's sound okay with EDM. The bass is fine and has presence, it's just not impactful. To me, the R70x's just suit other music genres better. I'd go with mid to upper level planar for EDM. Something like a Audeze LCD-X would be a better choice.

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #1,627 of 2,669
Shoot, I enjoy EDM straight out of HD 600 quite a bit, but probably it’s just my tin ears that aren’t offended by less-than-the-best sound, and I think RX70 are great for EDM. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #1,628 of 2,669
Shoot, I enjoy EDM straight out of HD 600 quite a bit, but probably it’s just my tin ears that aren’t offended by less-than-the-best sound, and I think RX70 are great for EDM. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I find the R70x enjoyable for EDM, don’t find it lacking for EDM at all, but I always liked good mids for EDM. I also listen to headphones based on mood moreso than for genres. I try to get all pretty well balanced headphones in my inventory so I don’t feel limited genre wise with any of them.

Apr 28, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,629 of 2,669
Absolutely love my r70xs - after trying a host of similar cans in the price range (HD600/650, AKG k702/712) these fit exactly what I was looking for.
That said - as much as I like these, I'm interested in trying a set of headphones that are equally good, but very different, in the same general price range. May be planar? Beyers? Found these as my go-to all-around phones and looking for something new and different. Really only familiar with these and the others mentioned above so curious what others have in their stable that are good but different from these. Or, what you like them for - I really only listen to Rock and Jazz, but throw on an old school hip-hop record every now and again.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #1,630 of 2,669
The R70x's are very good all arounders. My thoughts were with EDM you want a more enhanced low end. My Klipsch HP-3's and Sony Z1R's really shine with EDM more so than the R70x's to my ears. With that said, the R70x's are more than listenable with EDM and anything for that matter.

Apr 28, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #1,631 of 2,669
I been reading lot more reviews from professionals as well. One of the things I like they never spew any of the headphile garbage like treble sounds grainy and prattling on about how they can hear peaks precisely in the 10K region as if they aren't just staring at some graph, and experts on "neutral" sound as if they are experts in any way regarding sound.

I been liking them because it's much more practical in explaining why they bought the headphones for what purpose and how it has helped them and how it's improved their ability to do their work and how it compares to their monitors because speaker monitors are the benchmark for them, not by some headphone that costs $3000 because of, who the hell knows. Not sure if you guys just feel like vomiting when you hear a review like from Heapdhone Show who talks of timbre, graininess, detail retrieval, reponse graphs and on and on and I all I hear is, man you're so full of yourself.

R70x always gets so much praise. And in the reviews it becomes immediately obvious if it's some "audiophile" posted a review or not. It's the same with the SRH1840 I noticed, it gets plenty of praise while it gets slammed by the supposed golden ears who who's ears can measure the slightest 1db elevation in the 14K region.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #1,632 of 2,669
As prior post, I think head-fi has changed a lot. In the past yes there were some snobs, but the snobs usually kept to themselves or eventually migrated to forum like Head Case. There were a lot more honest reviews in the past I think, reviews more centered on moods, music, and just more why they like the headphone or not. I dunno, I just hope head-fi returns to that. Gets annoying to read reviews that spew on jargon that literally have no meaning or definition, meaning changing from person to person. I am glad to see with R70x there seems to be a little less of that nonsense, and I hope it continues in that manner.

I think headphone fans need more reviewers like Zeos and Oluv, where we can get a sense of what the headphone is like just based on how expressive the reviewer is, rather than just in boring monotone voice reading off a script prattling on and on about some frequency graph and spewing nonsense jargon that mean nothing with definable definition as it differs from person to person. Yes Zeos makes his living with sales with his affiliate links and he's an entertainer but like Oluv you can tell when something hurts, something is pleasurable, and get a sense of what headphone excites him etc. I'd like to see more enjoyment of the headphones.

I truly get the sense some people listen to the headphones and it's more about collecting them than the actual pleasure of hearing music and being wowed by movies films etc, the emotion of sound.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #1,633 of 2,669
I been reading lot more reviews from professionals as well. One of the things I like they never spew any of the headphile garbage like treble sounds grainy and prattling on about how they can hear peaks precisely in the 10K region as if they aren't just staring at some graph, and experts on "neutral" sound as if they are experts in any way regarding sound.

I been liking them because it's much more practical in explaining why they bought the headphones for what purpose and how it has helped them and how it's improved their ability to do their work and how it compares to their monitors because speaker monitors are the benchmark for them, not by some headphone that costs $3000 because of, who the hell knows. Not sure if you guys just feel like vomiting when you hear a review like from Heapdhone Show who talks of timbre, graininess, detail retrieval, reponse graphs and on and on and I all I hear is, man you're so full of yourself.

R70x always gets so much praise. And in the reviews it becomes immediately obvious if it's some "audiophile" posted a review or not. It's the same with the SRH1840 I noticed, it gets plenty of praise while it gets slammed by the supposed golden ears who who's ears can measure the slightest 1db elevation in the 14K region.
I've said it before, but it's hard to find fault with these. They're lightweight, comfortable and have an excellent frequency response!

Apr 28, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #1,634 of 2,669
@adgun Thanks for reccing hybrid amps. I got a xduoo ta-02 and the r70x is much fuller now without sacrificing detail. Very good for pop, rock, metal, classical. I do think that edm still benifits from pure SS with its airer texture letting the sound scape play out without bloating the sound.

@SSandDigital Honestly thats what pushed me towards extreme subjectivism. Its like the shure srh1440 with its very good mid forward signature and accurate detailed bass. Pretty much most people crap on it because of that 8% thd shelf that extends into the mids supposedly. Then again with the time I'm had owning it I can say that it is a very detailed and capable headphone and that supposed shelf cannot be heard. Same thing with the r70x and the supposed grain that started with metal.

Well with reguards to failure there is the one guy whose joint broke when he dropped it but thats about it I think.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #1,635 of 2,669
The R70x's are very good all arounders. My thoughts were with EDM you want a more enhanced low end. My Klipsch HP-3's and Sony Z1R's really shine with EDM more so than the R70x's to my ears. With that said, the R70x's are more than listenable with EDM and anything for that matter.

I suppose it's true it's all relative... I covet the Klipsch HP-3 and even without having even heard them with my own years (yet!), I suspect I would prefer them over the R70x (and HD 600 for sure) for EDM, just based on what I've read about their sound signature from others ... I guess my point was that when I'm in "enjoy the music mood", any of my good headphones (and I count the R70x and HD 600 among them for sure) can really give me oodles of enjoyment for basically any music genre, including EDM, even if I might, were I to stop enjoying the music, conjure a thought that, "gee, this would be even more ridiculously fun on ___." :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back