Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Sep 19, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #1,096 of 2,669
I cant believe how understated these headphones are! Together with the Oppo HA2 they are a beautiful pairing and sound incredible. I am wowed each and every time i put them on. I cant say that about most of my other open cans, or even closed cans for that matter. The balanced sound signature and the clarity of everything you hear + the ability of  the R70x to render such a natural timber to instruments and vocals is phenomenal. One thing I did not expect was how relevant they remain as I continue to climb the upgrade ladder. Simply amazing. Ill have to do a review of these soon so everyone else gets to give these a go.

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #1,097 of 2,669

My cheap desktop combo sounds quite good, well balanced. (Stoner Acoustics UD125 as DAC).

The sound leans a bit to the warm side, with quality bass, natural mid, quality treble, detailed, speaker-like.

However, this is still not my liking sound-signature, the treble is very well extended but to my ears, there are too much air, with slightly recessed high-mid, low treble.
This makes the sound very smooth to listen, but sometimes the female vocal sound slightly too airy, grainy, not very clean. Electronic Music sound pretty good, but slightly too much air as well.
I prefer more forward midrange, upper mid, and cleaner sound, with the same bass treble quality, I don't want to sacrifice the bass quantity.

I think this is due to R70x's tonality, not the DAC/amp?

Note: the Magni2U's sound signature is already forward sounding. Tested with E10k as DAC, the E10k is too thin, unclean treble, bass isn't as good as UD125.

Sep 25, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #1,098 of 2,669

My cheap desktop combo sounds quite good, well balanced. (Stoner Acoustics UD125 as DAC).

The sound leans a bit to the warm side, with quality bass, natural mid, quality treble, detailed, speaker-like.

However, this is still not my liking sound-signature, the treble is very well extended but to my ears, there are too much air, with slightly recessed high-mid, low treble.
This makes the sound very smooth to listen, but sometimes the female vocal sound slightly too airy, grainy, not very clean. Electronic Music sound pretty good, but slightly too much air as well.
I prefer more forward midrange, upper mid, and cleaner sound, with the same bass treble quality, I don't want to sacrifice the bass quantity.

I think this is due to R70x's tonality, not the DAC/amp?

Note: the Magni2U's sound signature is already forward sounding. Tested with E10k as DAC, the E10k is too thin, unclean treble, bass isn't as good as UD125.

I suspect that it is due to the matching between the headphone and the amp.

I love the r70x when driven directly from my MacBook Pro and iPhone 6 Plus. They make the r70x sound very dynamic, punchy, lots of air and an overall very nicely balanced sound.

I dislike it when driven from Chord Mojo, iFi iDSD Micro, Asgard 2 and etc. which tends to kill off the dynamic, the punch and the extension at the top and bottom. Sounded overly smooth, dull and restrained is what I would call it.

And yes, despite its high impedance, both the MacBook Pro and iPhone are able to drive them without the help of any external amp. Volume has to be set close to maximum though.

Sep 26, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #1,099 of 2,669
I suspect that it is due to the matching between the headphone and the amp.

I love the r70x when driven directly from my MacBook Pro and iPhone 6 Plus. They make the r70x sound very dynamic, punchy, lots of air and an overall very nicely balanced sound.

I dislike it when driven from Chord Mojo, iFi iDSD Micro, Asgard 2 and etc. which tends to kill off the dynamic, the punch and the extension at the top and bottom. Sounded overly smooth, dull and restrained is what I would call it.

And yes, despite its high impedance, both the MacBook Pro and iPhone are able to drive them without the help of any external amp. Volume has to be set close to maximum though.

May be this is the matter of DAC/amp matching and personal taste  
smily_headphones1.gif

I prefer my combo rather than iPhone 6's out. The bass is weaker but more controlled, crispier high, better instruments separation, wider soundstage. To my ears the R70x sound more dull without amplifier.

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #1,101 of 2,669
I found a good iMac EQer/effector software for R70x today at Head fi ad pop up.
its called "Boom 2" it make R70x sound very lively/very fun! especially good for classical not so good for pop/rock.
you can buy it software at Apple AppStore. its relatively cheaper than any hardware EQer.
and also you can get/try trial version of Boom 2. you can get it at their software developers web site.

http://www.globaldelight.com/boom/index.php

Happy listening!

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #1,102 of 2,669
Some issue that I always have with audio technica is the thickness of the pads. On my AD1000X and A900X, the pads are too thin. My ears are always touching the driver. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #1,103 of 2,669
It was a hard decision to make, but I'm sizing down my audio collection.
If anyone's interested, I'm letting my R70x go:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/822150/audio-technica-ath-r70x

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #1,104 of 2,669
the thickness of the pads. On my AD1000X and A900X, the pads are too thin. My ears are always touching the driver. 

Brainwavz HM-5 type pads fit and solve this issue, while increasing comfort, and you don't lose any bass or sound quality either. I prefer the pleather, the velour can lose some bass. I personally prefer these http://www.nvx.com/earpads - they seem a bit softer and they cost about the same. Either angled or straight should work for your headphones.

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #1,107 of 2,669
yes my 1st pair of R70x was also made in taiwan..I bought 2nd pair of R70x few days ago at Amazon japan.
seems this made in japan version sound slightly treble extended compare to taiwan version.
maybe Audio technical did some minor modification or kaizen on R70x...?

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #1,109 of 2,669
Yes earfonia, its very interesting!
for me this japan version sound just about right out of my iPhone6(Spotify 320kbps) to walk around in my house.
out of my iPhone6, my HD600(i have 2 pair of HD600) are a tad too crispy compare to this R70x(sound more natural).

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #1,110 of 2,669
  Yes earfonia, its very interesting!
for me this japan version sound just about right out of my iPhone6(Spotify 320kbps) to walk around in my house.
out of my iPhone6, my HD600(i have 2 pair of HD600) are a tad too crispy compare to this R70x(sound more natural).

I recently starting to develop a method to plot frequency response by ears. I did it for my R70x as well. Probably you could try this method and see the difference of the 2 R70x made in Japan and Taiwan?

I called the method EFRE, the detail is here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/822457/efre-earfonia-frequency-response-evaluation

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back