Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Aug 29, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #1,067 of 2,669
hello finally i bought ath r70x but i have a little question...
i use dac ifi nano idsd, but why the voice it's too small?
and what a perfect combination amp+dac for ath r70x? or just need amp?

anw why when i wear ath r70x, the pad not cover my ears full? something like a gap under my ears.. but when i see myself on the mirror it's normal.. is't normal? or this is not fit to my head, cz this ath r70x too small for my head?

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #1,068 of 2,669

IMO the nano iDSD's amp section isn't quite powerful, it was designed to use with low impedance headphones. R70x needs an powerful amp to sound good. Many people prefer the OTL tube amp for R70x due to its high impedance, but if you want neutral sound, try some Schiits, JDS Labs, or the iFi micro iCAN, these solid-state amps are quite powerful.
Quote:
anw why when i wear ath r70x, the pad not cover my ears full? something like a gap under my ears.. but when i see myself on the mirror it's normal.. is't normal? or this is not fit to my head, cz this ath r70x too small for my head.

What is your previous headphone? I think because the R70x's pads are velour, which don't have a perfect seal. Take a look on the pad, it does have some small gaps on it. I don't have this problem because my head is rather small, asian here.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #1,069 of 2,669
Finished reading through this thread but was wondering if anyone had the chance to compare the R70X to the HE-400S?  I've read one or two impressions noting how similar they were and I'm assuming that the R70X has better sub-bass and more upfront presentation/lesser soundstage but if someone could chime in on some of the other differences that would be great~

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #1,070 of 2,669
  Finished reading through this thread but was wondering if anyone had the chance to compare the R70X to the HE-400S?  I've read one or two impressions noting how similar they were and I'm assuming that the R70X has better sub-bass and more upfront presentation/lesser soundstage but if someone could chime in on some of the other differences that would be great~

You may want to give this link a read. I have both now, but my HE-400S is modded so everything sounds more rich than the R70X for me, but the gentleness stays the same. The R70X has more energy and a lighter overall sound, which can make it very agile and fun. While my HE-400S is great sounding after the mod, for longer listening (like during work), I reach for the R70X for it's lightness (like the article also mentioned).

Aug 29, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #1,071 of 2,669

anw why when i wear ath r70x, the pad not cover my ears full? something like a gap under my ears.. but when i see myself on the mirror it's normal.. is't normal? or this is not fit to my head, cz this ath r70x too small for my head?
try the idsd micro. The idsd nano doesn't excel in anything (compared to its direct competitor) and IMO the weakest product in ifi's chain

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #1,072 of 2,669
  What is your previous headphone? I think because the R70x's pads are velour, which don't have a perfect seal. Take a look on the pad, it does have some small gaps on it. I don't have this problem because my head is rather small, asian here.

x2 sir., and the pad covered full on my ears,.
damn.. when I wear r70x it's like the headband too short, so the pad can't covered full my ear... should I change my pad to hm5 velor (https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Velor-Memory-Replacements-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO) or anything? please some reference :frowning2:

anw can i stick with ifi nano idsd with more volume? or I should change that for better sq?
try the idsd micro. The idsd nano doesn't excel in anything (compared to its direct competitor) and IMO the weakest product in ifi's chain

oke thanks for your suggest... **** wrong buy in the past :frowning2:

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #1,075 of 2,669
  anw can i stick with ifi nano idsd with more volume? or I should change that for better sq?

Yes, just crank up the volume knob to the listenable level, my little E10k could deliver quite enough volume to the R70x even on low gain.

For better sq, if you are on a tight budget, consider upgrade the amp only, keeping the idsd as DAC lineout

Schitt Magni 2 / Uber (120$ / 170$ for the Uber version) is a good entry desktop choice, it has plenty of power for R70x, also has a neutral leaning toward bright sound.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #1,076 of 2,669

Yes, just crank up the volume knob to the listenable level, my little E10k could deliver quite enough volume to the R70x even on low gain.

For better sq, if you are on a tight budget, consider upgrade the amp only, keeping the idsd as DAC lineout

Schitt Magni 2 / Uber (120$ / 170$ for the Uber version) is a good entry desktop choice, it has plenty of power for R70x, also has a neutral leaning toward bright sound.

​hmmm.. maybe I'm looking for new dac with better sq, like chord mojo, ifi micro idsd.. which one the best for pairing r70x? or any suggest for the dac/amp sir?

anw in the last post, u said Many people prefer the OTL tube amp for R70x due to its high impedance​.. but I'm confused.. what do u mean "otl tube amp"? please give me some link for the otl tube amp.. sorry i'm new :frowning2:

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #1,077 of 2,669

​hmmm.. maybe I'm looking for new dac with better sq, like chord mojo, ifi micro idsd.. which one the best for pairing r70x? or any suggest for the dac/amp sir?

anw in the last post, u said Many people prefer the OTL tube amp for R70x due to its high impedance​.. but I'm confused.. what do u mean "otl tube amp"? please give me some link for the otl tube amp.. sorry i'm new :frowning2:

I don't think anyone would be able to confidently give you an answer to 'the best' pairing of a DAC with the r70x, since there's so many different ones out there! I'd say any reasonably performing DAC would serve them just fine, as the majority of the differences would arise from the amplifier pairing (since the r70x is pretty high impedance). As always, your best bet DAC-wise is to audition if possible, but if not possible I wouldn't worry too much as long as you're using something decent. An OTL tube amp is an 'Output TranformerLess' tube amp. They're not really the only type that can power high impedance headphones but you're right in that they are the preference of many. An example of an OTL amp is https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se (which is a pretty popular model as far as I know). The general advice of 'try before buy' still applies regardless of amp type, although OTL tube amps are somewhat more 'powerful' on average I think. Your best bet is likely to audition before buying, or otherwise get testimonials from r70x owners as to what they're using (and hopefully enjoying). 

For what it's worth, I'm currently using my r70x amped by a Schitt Asgard 2 connected to a Cayin N6 DAP, which is seeming to be a pretty good combo.

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #1,078 of 2,669
I used to like darkvoice amps for their wonderful ability to drive hd600 and hd650 but over a few years I've seen too many of them died. But I agree that the r70x should pair well with tube amps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back