Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Aug 25, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #1,051 of 2,669
I've had R70X for a couple of days from my friend and I've paired it with... S.M.S.L. M6 :D As far as the plastic they are built of is plain rubbish, the sound... well, it blew my mind :D I have never, ever, EVER expected such a bass from open cans :D To be honest, I don't have much experience with more pricier full headphones, but these bad boys (on stock cable!) left an impression. I loved it, really :)

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #1,052 of 2,669
I really interested with this hs, anyway I already have Fidelio x2, is't great upgrade from x2 to ath-r70x? and what's the different?

i have ifi nano dac, if i buy ath-r70x should i upgrade it too? or i can use ifi nano dac?

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #1,053 of 2,669
  I really interested with this hs, anyway I already have Fidelio x2, is't great upgrade from x2 to ath-r70x? and what's the different?

i have ifi nano dac, if i buy ath-r70x should i upgrade it too? or i can use ifi nano dac?

Fidelio is more fun, R70x more tonally accurate. The bass on the X2 has a bit more warmth, however on the R70x  it feels more accurate. Tonality on the X2 is a bit emphasized/boosted. The R70x sounds more natural. Prefer the quality of highs on the R70. The soundstage on the X2 is much wider but sometimes feels distant. On the R70x it is closer and with better imaging and layering. Comfort wise the X2 is no match for the R70x.
So far every guest I had and who compared the R70x vs. X2 would without a doubt decide for the R70x. This is why I stopped recommending the X2 for its fun character, because even the most inexperienced listeners preferred the more natural sound on the R70x, which still baffles me a bit.

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #1,054 of 2,669

Fidelio is more fun, R70x more tonally accurate. The bass on the X2 has a bit more warmth, however on the R70x  it feels more accurate. Tonality on the X2 is a bit emphasized/boosted. The R70x sounds more natural. Prefer the quality of highs on the R70. The soundstage on the X2 is much wider but sometimes feels distant. On the R70x it is closer and with better imaging and layering. Comfort wise the X2 is no match for the R70x.
So far every guest I had and who compared the R70x vs. X2 would without a doubt decide for the R70x. This is why I stopped recommending the X2 for its fun character, because even the most inexperienced listeners preferred the more natural sound on the R70x, which still baffles me a bit.

​well.. thanks for your comparison...
if I have x2 now.,. should I upgrade to r70x or go to hd600/650 ? or stay on x2.. I prefer natural sound with largest soundstage.. in r70x closer soundstage, but when it compare with x2.. it's a huge gap or slightly different?

abount comfort, so r70x it's more comfort than x2?

and how about my dac,, now I used ifi nano, it's enough or should upgrade too?

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #1,055 of 2,669

​well.. thanks for your comparison...
if I have x2 now.,. should I upgrade to r70x or go to hd600/650 ? or stay on x2.. I prefer natural sound with largest soundstage.. in r70x closer soundstage, but when it compare with x2.. it's a huge gap or slightly different?

abount comfort, so r70x it's more comfort than x2?

and how about my dac,, now I used ifi nano, it's enough or should upgrade too?

If possible, always audition headphones before upgrading. Only you will know if it's worth the upgrade.
The tonality of the R70x is closer to the HD600, but you get the bass, a bit better highs and also somewhat bigger soundstage compared to the HD600.
Bass quantity: X2 > R70 >> HD600
Bass quality: R70 > X2 > HD600
Midrange: HD600 > R70x > X2
Highs quality: R70x > HD600 > X2
Soundstage width: X2 > R70x > HD600
Soundstage imaging: R70x > HD600>X2
Comfort: R70x >>> HD600 = X2

The highs quantity is about the same on all of them, but I prefer the highs on the R70 which sound most accurate to me.
Not sure about DAC, but the R70x are not the detail monsters to be worrying about D/A conversion process. You will need an amp though. Sth. with at least 10 dB of gain (for R70x or HD600).

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #1,056 of 2,669

If possible, always audition headphones before upgrading. Only you will know if it's worth the upgrade.
The tonality of the R70x is closer to the HD600, but you get the bass, a bit better highs and also somewhat bigger soundstage compared to the HD600.
Bass quantity: X2 > R70 >> HD600
Bass quality: R70 > X2 > HD600
Midrange: HD600 > R70x > X2
Highs quality: R70x > HD600 > X2
Soundstage width: X2 > R70x > HD600
Soundstage imaging: R70x > HD600>X2
Comfort: R70x >>> HD600 = X2

The highs quantity is about the same on all of them, but I prefer the highs on the R70 which sound most accurate to me.
Not sure about DAC, but the R70x are not the detail monsters to be worrying about D/A conversion process. You will need an amp though. Sth. with at least 10 dB of gain (for R70x or HD600).

​woah.. thx for your detailed comparison.. and for the last question.. which one better, r70x / x2 when u used that on the movies? like action/horror movies.. sorry oot.. 

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #1,057 of 2,669

​woah.. thx for your detailed comparison.. and for the last question.. which one better, r70x / x2 when u used that on the movies? like action/horror movies.. sorry oot.. 

Hm, this one might be for the X2. A bit more warmth and wider soundstage might do the trick. However the R70x have certain quality that is good with live music so they might also work. Never tried hp on movies though.

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #1,060 of 2,669

Sound more transparent (the 120cm)

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #1,061 of 2,669
  Anyone can help with my question about gaming on page 70?

I'd say wait for your amp to arrive before worrying too much; I've been using the r70x for gaming ever since I've got it and it's been great. There may be some areas where it falls short compared to your old closed-back pair (like bass quantity) but otherwise it's one of the best open-backed headphones I've used when it comes to gaming usage.If you want, you can also try using a system-wide equalizer to see if there's any tweaks you can do to make it sound better in games.
edit: https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/ is one I found after googling.

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #1,062 of 2,669
I have an EQ on the Creative software that came with my sound card. The amp arrived today (Magni 2 Uber) but unfortunately I am still waiting for the RCA cables!! So frustrating that I have all the equipment except some cables. I accidently ordered from an Amazon UK marketplace seller who is based in the USA so postage could take up to 2 weeks :/

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #1,064 of 2,669
I borrowed some cables from a friend now I got my amp hooked up. It sounds nice and a certain upgrade from my A700s. Gaming sounds better too with this amp and a little extra bass in the Creative software. When I plug my A700s into the amp though, they sound horrible, as if some parts of the audio is missing. It's the sort of effect you get when a cable isn't fully plugged in, or a wire is bent and part of the audio is missing. Vocals sound like they are singing inside something hollow. Not sure why the A700s do this when plugged in to the amp, the R70X sound lovely.

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #1,065 of 2,669
  I borrowed some cables from a friend now I got my amp hooked up. It sounds nice and a certain upgrade from my A700s. Gaming sounds better too with this amp and a little extra bass in the Creative software. When I plug my A700s into the amp though, they sound horrible, as if some parts of the audio is missing. It's the sort of effect you get when a cable isn't fully plugged in, or a wire is bent and part of the audio is missing. Vocals sound like they are singing inside something hollow. Not sure why the A700s do this when plugged in to the amp, the R70X sound lovely.

May be the A700's 6.3mm plug is causing the problem. May be it was broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back