Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Feb 22, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #796 of 2,669
I've read many of the posts in this thread, and noticed that it gets universal praise for organic music like jazz/classical/acoustic...etc
But what about synthetic music? how does this headphone perform with EDM? I listen to mostly trance, house and chillout.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #797 of 2,669
  I've read many of the posts in this thread, and noticed that it gets universal praise for organic music like jazz/classical/acoustic...etc
But what about synthetic music? how does this headphone perform with EDM? I listen to mostly trance, house and chillout.

As you may know, EDM tends to be overmastered and starts to sound artificial, however my listening is 50% EDM, mostly house, chillstep, and melodic dubstep and I have to say I am impressed again and again. The R70x conveys female vocals in a way that sounds like they are alive in the music, and not just remixed and processed into the track, and when post processing effects that digitally position instruments and bloops and pops kick in it is immersive and euphoric because the R70x is able to make it sound almost analog. You wont be disappointed. I can say more if you can tell me which aspects youre most concerned with, i.e. treble hotness, bass slam, etc. It is also a fantastic movie headphone that disappears during the movie so you dont even know it is there. The cable keeps reminding you that you are wearing headphones so i would suggest a cable upgrade.

R70 remains one of my favorites because it is just so great at doing justice to any and all music genres (Caveat: metal, metalcore etc. I dont listen to those so I wouldnt know)

Cheers!

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #798 of 2,669

Well the Audeze pads (on my AD1000x) are exquisitely comfortable, super soft and mold to my head. I had no problem with the Brainwavz but these are on another level. They are deep though and will effect the sound a little bit.

Ill patiently wait for those in depth impressions on sound :p And between the AD1000x and the R70x the pad mounts are very different in size. I think i mentioned before but the AD900x (almost the exact same dimensions) only barely just fit on my R70x, and the i am concerned that the Audeze pads will be the same. More importantly though is whether or not it changes the sound P:

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #799 of 2,669

Agreed. Messing up the fantastic balanced sound with a different set of pads is also a worry. My gripe with the stock pads is mainly the size of the opening. 

I hope prospective buyers don't get discouraged by our discussion. The stock pads are definitely not a deal-breaker (at least for me). 

I have to agree on this. It is just one of those nitpicky things that would make the R70x truly perfect. Pads are very comfortable, and almost perfect. just the ear opening could be a bit bigger. And the cable could be better. It is removable though so that is 1 step forward, although they use proprietary connectors and proprietary soldering inside so I guess half a step back haha. The tuning on the pads are phenomenal though, hence my concern that pad swapping will change the sound sig. Is comfort worth that price? 

I just keep wondering if they are going to release an R90x in the future. @a_recording (Lachlan) mentioned that they didnt use the "turbine" like baffle fins that they used in their AD2000x for improved airflow in this model.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #800 of 2,669
  (...) the cable could be better. It is removable though so that is 1 step forward, although they use proprietary connectors and proprietary soldering inside so I guess half a step back haha. 

It's definitely not the worst proprietary connector out there. By proprietary soldering do you mean the fact that the cable can be connected to either left or right side and still give the correct stereo output? I could live without that to be honest. It may even be a bad thing since you have to look for the thick side of the pad to figure out how to put them on.

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #801 of 2,669

It's definitely not the worst proprietary connector out there. By proprietary soldering do you mean the fact that the cable can be connected to either left or right side and still give the correct stereo output? I could live without that to be honest. It may even be a bad thing since you have to look for the thick side of the pad to figure out how to put them on.

I mean proprietary soldering as in how hard it is to find aftermarket cables that are soldered correctly to work with the  R70x since it is reversable. As mentioned before, the lunashops cable doesnt work correctly with the R70x, and other companies making cables for the R70x may see the connectors for the R70x and think they can manufacture the cables for it, but end up making faulty cables. Only by unplugging one of the connectors of the lunashops cable a couple millimeters will it work properly and I am not the only one with this problem.

The length of the cable, the proprietary connector, and the proprietary soldering go hand in hand to accentuate the inconvenience trying to replace the stock cable. BUT if you have no issue with the length or weight of the stock cable then this will not apply.

Dont get me wrong, I am just explaining the cable issue, but it doesnt even compare in the slightest to how great these headphones are built and how they sound. it is a VERY small annoyance(not even a problem really) in comparison.

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #802 of 2,669
  Hello everyone, I'm new in the forum,
I'm going to buy a new headphone soon, and my choice is now oriented on these "cups" because of their neutrality, their tight and smooth bass and their soundstage. My question is if it would be the right headphone for me: I listen mainly to Classical music and EDM (in particular Tropical and Deep), but I don't dislike listening to other genres.
Another question, how do they compare to the Sennheiser HD650 (the second choice)? 

PS: they will be used with a selfmade DAC and Amp

Thanks a lot and sorry for my language mistakes, I'm not a native speaker 

Well, if classical music is the priority then go with the HD650. If EDM/Jazz/Rock music is a priority then choose the R70x. I consider the R70x to be more versatile for various music genres, while the Senn's are renowned for their midrange excellency. Comparing HD600 vs R70x, classical music was the only genre where the R70x had to give the crown to the HD600. Try to audition them both and see which one fits best, there's really no easier way...
The amp requirement is about the same for both headphones.

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #803 of 2,669
Imo the r70x's fault for classical is it's midbass being slightly boosted. Any phone to me with a slight to moderate hump at the mid bass won't get classical music properly, specially symphony/orchestra pieces. With that said it's decent if there's nothing bass heavy in the classical music or it's limited to say a trio or quartet, anything more and the mid bass covers the rest of the sound slightly but enough to be bothersome.

The he560 is king in classical for me. Deep controlled bass capable of heavy slam with the proper amp.

If you're a one headphone type however, the r70x would be fine for classical.

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #804 of 2,669
Imo the r70x's fault for classical is it's midbass being slightly boosted. Any phone to me with a slight to moderate hump at the mid bass won't get classical music properly, specially symphony/orchestra pieces. With that said it's decent if there's nothing bass heavy in the classical music or it's limited to say a trio or quartet, anything more and the mid bass covers the rest of the sound slightly but enough to be bothersome.

The he560 is king in classical for me. Deep controlled bass capable of heavy slam with the proper amp.

If you're a one headphone type however, the r70x would be fine for classical.

Agreed, it's not that the R70x are bad for classical, they just provide you with the bass that "might get in the way". The HD600 have a simple solution for this = no bass...no problem:).

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #805 of 2,669
Thanks for the answers, they helped me a lot. I think I'll go with R70x... I found the used "like new" at 200 euros. 
The amplifier will be very simple, with a single tube and Lundahl output transformer per canal, but the headphone needs to be more than 150 Ohm to work well, so my choice was restricted. By the way this pair has impressed me and they seem to be rhe perfect for me :wink:

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #806 of 2,669
  Ill patiently wait for those in depth impressions on sound :p And between the AD1000x and the R70x the pad mounts are very different in size. I think i mentioned before but the AD900x (almost the exact same dimensions) only barely just fit on my R70x, and the i am concerned that the Audeze pads will be the same. More importantly though is whether or not it changes the sound P:

Well I went from stock to Brainwavz velour to Audeze microsuede. I didn't notice much change in sound from Brainwavz to Audeze. From stock to Brainwavz, it brought the lower mids down a little bit because of the increased distance of the driver to the ear and the bass became a bit more noticeable and impactful. I didn't spend lots of time comparing so thats the best I can do. The Brainwavz were deeper so my ear didn't touch the driver and comfort was much better, but the angled Audeze pads are super soft and actually mold to my head, wish all headphones used these pads. Yeah, from pics the R70x looks smaller than the rest of the series so the Audeze pads would be too big.

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #807 of 2,669
  Yes, I have had these and used them for a few months now as a work headphone and I have to agree that they are VERY relaxing to listen to. Everything just sounds natural and spectacular with them. They are easy to listen to. I wouldnt say they do everything right, but they do exactly nothing wrong. I use these for work 9 hours a day at work and non-fatiguing is the least that I can say about them, which means they are soooooo goooood. They just make me want to kick back In a Lazyboy and kick back with them on. Pads are a bit small though. the AD900x pads fit much better, although I cant switch back and forth fast enough to really dial in on whether or not there's any sound difference. AD900x pads fit very loosely on them, but I could see someone making it work.

I wouldnt say they are technically superior to the HD600, I own both, and its not a popular opinion on this forum, but I have to say that separation, imaging, and background blackness are better on the HD600s. So bottom line, HD600 is better in ability and technicality, but the R70x's are better for when you want to ENJOY the music at its fullest enjoyment potential, with just enough detail so it doesn't overly analyze and criticize the music. 

Hi, just wondering how loose was the fit of the AD900x pads on the r70x? Did they stay in place or would they wiggle around?

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #810 of 2,669
I know some people here stated that this headphone does not benefit from a proper burn in.. But my experience was very different.

I've had nearly 100 hours in my R70x and only by now this headphone started to settle down. At first, the bass was very boomy and overpowering the mids. At the middle of my burn in, the mids (especially vocals) were screechy - quite a bit sibilant.

Now, everything are more balanced.. Nice 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back