Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Nov 28, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #648 of 2,669
I bought ATH-R70x after hearing at Jaben Audio Melbourne and read this thread. It sounded so right to my ear right off the bat. I don't know how to EQ and don't like to play with the EQ to make it sound right. The only word I can use with this headphone is, it is natural sounding. Got my friends to listen to it, but they say there is some distortion but to me it sounded all right. Maybe because he had the volume at 100% on my Geek Out 450. I don't try to drive this over 31% most time but sometimes at 50% if the music is really soft. It can get very bassy.

I don't like overly bright or bass heavy headphones or IEM. The ATH-IM70 is very fatiguing after listening to it after about an hour and I have to rest my ears. The ATH-R70 is not fatiguing at all and it is enjoyable to listen to the music. I am not an audiophile but I like natural sounding music.

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #649 of 2,669
I bought ATH-R70x after hearing at Jaben Audio Melbourne and read this thread. It sounded so right to my ear right off the bat. I don't know how to EQ and don't like to play with the EQ to make it sound right. The only word I can use with this headphone is, it is natural sounding. Got my friends to listen to it, but they say there is some distortion but to me it sounded all right. Maybe because he had the volume at 100% on my Geek Out 450. I don't try to drive this over 31% most time but sometimes at 50% if the music is really soft. It can get very bassy.

I don't like overly bright or bass heavy headphones or IEM. The ATH-IM70 is very fatiguing after listening to it after about an hour and I have to rest my ears. The ATH-R70 is not fatiguing at all and it is enjoyable to listen to the music. I am not an audiophile but I like natural sounding music.

Glad you found the right headphone for you! R70x is really nice sounding, it just sounds right.

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #650 of 2,669
I've been using the brainwavz pads for a couple months now, and It wasn't until I went back to the stock pads that I realized just how much they alter the sound.  The brainwavz pads create a slight boost in the mid bass and a little reduction in midrange dynamics to my ears.  The slight improvement in comfort with the larger pad is not worth the trade off in sound quality IMO.

Just tried the Pleather brainwavz pads and agree with your observations. It is more than a slight boost in the mid bass. Were you using the Pleather pads? I wonder if the velour pads would have the same affect. The stock at pads appear to be some kind of material mid way between what velour and Pleather would be sonically.

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #651 of 2,669
Just tried the Pleather brainwavz pads and agree with your observations. It is more than a slight boost in the mid bass. Were you using the Pleather pads? I wonder if the velour pads would have the same affect. The stock at pads appear to be some kind of material mid way between what velour and Pleather would be sonically.

My observations were done using the flat velour pads.  It is quite possible that the pleather pads might even boost the mid bass more due to them having less acoustic absorption.  If comfort really is a problem with the stock pads, it's maybe worth trying the velour pads from brainwavz.

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #652 of 2,669
I can live with the stock pads. I bought the brainwavz for my hp50 and figured I would try them on the r70x. Not a good plan lol.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #653 of 2,669
Couple comments I wanted to share with anyone that keeps up with this thread or stumbles into it looking for their next headphone:

a) Really enjoying this just using the headphone out on my Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2. More than enough power, and the drivers seem to be well in control. Using out of my pc and android, using UAPP. Just need to set hardware volume control in the UAPP settings and the Dragonfly is great.

b) LOVING this headphone for classical music. Just sounds like I am in the room.

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #654 of 2,669
Something I would also like to share is, I keep forgetting that I am listening to headphones after a while. It feels that I am listening to the performance close by and sort of immersed into the performance. Kinda hard to describe.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #655 of 2,669
I love my r70x, even though I probably don't have decent amp power to drive them to the fullest.
Anyways I think they sound terrific straight through my iPhone 6s as well as my FiiO X3ii.
My only problem is the stock cable length. I need a 4 feet custom cable that doesn't cost a fortune.
Judging from previous posts, there seems to be issues with the Lunashop custom cables.
The only other place I know of is the Hivemindcables, that are a bit expensive.
So are there any other custom cable sellers out there for the r70x (preferably within the EU so the price will be VAT and import tax to Sweden included)?

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #660 of 2,669
  GoldenEars Korea just posted the FR graphs

http://ko.goldenears.net/board/5845808

Almost spot on to Harman Target Response Curve. Good stuff. Also looks very close to the MA900 curve from GoldenEars KR.

I've been interested in this headphone since its release. The measurements here have pushed it up on my wishlist.
One to seriously consider in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back