Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Nov 10, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #616 of 2,669
@Tomkat85 and piaudio: do you mind to share what accompanying source and and amp that you used with R70x?

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #617 of 2,669
@Tomkat85 and piaudio: do you mind to share what accompanying source and and amp that you used with R70x?

Smartphone and to be fair in listening test, I use Aumeo to tailor to my hearing frequency to hear every details accurately. ifi idsd on R70x is a mixed feeling, it feel artificial sound to me compare to the like LCD-2 sound lively (dark sounding)

Tested on my favourite songs, Joe Hisaishi, Yanni, etc. I let other share their experience on highend DAC that are best done on a longer period.

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #618 of 2,669
The only negative impression that gave me pause with buying the r70x is that it has recessed or rolled off subbass (some even said bass). I can now confirm that this impression is NOT correct. These cans are not sub monsters, they have a balanced bass/subbass response when called upon by the music. I am able to hear down to 20Hz just fine, and to my ears, with my system, the r70x digs down deep with texture and presence when called upon. 

Such a wonderful headphone!

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #619 of 2,669

I've been starting to downsize my equipment (including trying to sell my CD source) as I've been using my humble macbook pro or PC as a  more practical solution. The PC perhaps is arguably speaking; better sounding due to the fact I'm using a 2010 moonaudio power cord then onto a Opera Consonance powerboard. The amps wise I use either the audinst built in MX1, the Nuforce HA200 or my 2009 (I think) bought Audiotailor Jade have a look at my previous posts on impressions of R70X on these two amps.

DAC Wise I'm using either the humble Wolfson 8740 (within the Audinst MX1 with variable RCA at 100% vol) or the cheap USB asynchronous ES9023 DAC. I do have my old trusty custom modded (by COEM Audio Australia in 2007) LITE DAC AH NOS DAC with passive output, but to this day - the R70X convinced me to be happy enough as is without wanting to pair it with any other source. I may do one day but the R70X itself keeps me too busy :) with my setup as is.

I do have those supposedly called USB Audio Driver for MAC which is said to improve sound. But to be quite honest - I'm perfectly happy with how the R70X sound with these humble equipment and so far has never been bothered to install the driver. It is however - (subjectively YMMV of course) be quite responsive to tweaks / cabling and vibration isolations, etc. 

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #620 of 2,669

I tried over 10 headphones highend to normal headphones except Focal or Sony at store today, R70x sound as clearly as ATH-M40fs except M40fs being great is the familiar sound you can hear the vocal nuance and vibration with the right DAC in the same feel like a concert, M40x, M50x, M70x don't really sound right to me as being harsh. R70x definitely better and not the dark sounding (mean you can hear the bonus frequency at the bass and treble clearly, unlike highend headphone like LCD-X, etc that make for entertainment purpose).

To say, do you feel the bass guitar and drum sound accurate?

Hi Piaudio, thank you for your opinion. I always welcome insights from the polarity opposites, as it clearly shows that our past listening habits & past / sonic memory experiences do play a role in amply shaping the history of our own ears and thus our own "expectations" for what is considered this quality or that quality, etc.

To answer your question whether in my opinion bass guitar and drum sound accurate or not - I unfortunately am not able to say whether it is "accurate". Hell, I don't even go to concerts or live shows at all nor am I a musician, a guitarist, or a drummist to be able to give you any idea whether the R70X renders it as "accurate" or not. Because "accuracy" is such a subjective term to measure sound "quality"- I could for sure say that an AKG701 is so microscopically analytically crisp in the quality of rendering of drums and neutrality of everything behind every pluck of the bass string - but that does that mean I think it is "accurate" to real life? No I don't think so. If anything to my own subjective opinion it is sterile.

***A comical Analogy***
The R70X shows every one of my other phone their own weaknesses - in that it beckons some sort of behaviour from me as if the headphone is saying outloud to me - "ok tomkat85 I don't care what (music) you're listening but this is HOW I ROLL! YO !! :) I am far more ACCURATE than everything else you'd listen to! You'd better believe it!"

Where as the R70X is saying to me "Ok, Tomkat85, I may be humble but rest assured that all I'm giving you is only whatever the music implies, and I'll try my best to coordinate everything for you as best as how the music itself is recorded and mastered.'

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #624 of 2,669
  Hi
R70X or Philips X2?
Which has the best sound?

Both are nice headphones. The x2 is really a bassheads can. Easy to drive, emphasized bass that is tight and controlled, top end ever so grainy but very nice all the same.Large soundstage. Good for a setup where you don't want to spend a lot on gear to run them. R70x is balanced, deep rich bass all the way to good extension on top, nothing is emphasized. No grain on top (to my ears) and bass is nicely textured. Requires a decent to good setup to run to full potential. Large soundstage

IMO, the r70x is much superior. Timbre is spot on, music just sounds right to me. Also scales well with better gear. The x2 felt somewhat veiled to me, honestly. Mid bass to emphasized as well, but I can see why people like it. If you are a basshead and you want no fuss music, x2. If you want neutral reproduction of music and like playing with gear, go for the r70x.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #625 of 2,669
hello, im new in head fi forum, i found this site helpfull by searching for a review of audio tecnika athm50x please does anyone answers my question, i have looked all around the internet and the most recomended profesional studio headphones i find is athm50x and for listning on the go too. my question is, what is the diference ''in sound quality'' of open  back, and closed back ones, example the Audio Tecnika ATH-R70X vs ATH-M50X.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #626 of 2,669
  hello, im new in head fi forum, i found this site helpfull by searching for a review of audio tecnika athm50x please does anyone answers my question, i have looked all around the internet and the most recomended profesional studio headphones i find is athm50x and for listning on the go too. my question is, what is the diference ''in sound quality'' of open  back, and closed back ones, example the Audio Tecnika ATH-R70X vs ATH-M50X.

For the most part, the difference is in the much larger soundstage of the R70x and better subbass for the M50x. The price difference is about right if you compare the SQ. A more fair comparison would be between the MSR7, M70x and the R70x, since they apparently use similar (if not the same) drivers. Lately I find it difficult to listen to the M50x, because the MSR7 and especially the R70x are on a different level. I wouldn't consider the M50x for critical listening, but they do give a good sense how the loudspeaker would sound like. The R70x is more like how a dipole loudspeaker would sound like (...alive).

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #627 of 2,669
@piaudio and tomkat, thanks for your replies...

I happened to got a chance to listen to earphonia setup with iDSD, itube and iCAN.... they really have a good synergy with the R70X. But you are right, iDSD alone does not mate well with R70X. They also does not mate well with Yulong. So I wonder what other amps that really make it sing.

Tomkat,... it is also a coincidence that I used to have MX1 (which was sold to my friend long time ago...). I also have Hifimediy ESS9023 the synchronous (Tenor) version, but currently I don't have any decent amp. Planned to build MARSH head amp, but really hard to allocate time to build it. When you mention that R70x mate with MX1, then I think I can conclude that R70x need a "lean" amp/source to compensate the warmness of the phones.

BTW, regarding Audinst MX1, I used to experiment of powering it with split power/data cable. The data pair is connected to the PC USB port, while the power pair is connected to a 12VDC SLA linear regulated to 5V. The improvement was not small.

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #628 of 2,669

For the most part, the difference is in the much larger soundstage of the R70x and better subbass for the M50x. The price difference is about right if you compare the SQ. A more fair comparison would be between the MSR7, M70x and the R70x, since they apparently use similar (if not the same) drivers. Lately I find it difficult to listen to the M50x, because the MSR7 and especially the R70x are on a different level. I wouldn't consider the M50x for critical listening, but they do give a good sense how the loudspeaker would sound like. The R70x is more like how a dipole loudspeaker would sound like (...alive).

so m50's is not a studio monitor?! it's a loud speaker? i''ve seen the review about m70x they are clearer, but what is the bass diference compared to m50x? is there any one who makes a high quality record from these? please will you help me if i send you a song, will you test it for me? all i want to know is, i listen to this type of music, and how it sound for you. i will send you the song via email in flac format. the song is Akcent - That's My Name, its a house song. "so it's not so bassy" it's a very special type of music that comes from Romania.

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #629 of 2,669
  so m50's is not a studio monitor?! it's a loud speaker? i''ve seen the review about m70x they are clearer, but what is the bass diference compared to m50x? is there any one who makes a high quality record from these? please will you help me if i send you a song, will you test it for me? all i want to know is, i listen to this type of music, and how it sound for you. i will send you the song via email in flac format. the song is Akcent - That's My Name, its a house song. "so it's not so bassy" it's a very special type of music that comes from Romania.

I'm currently own M40fs, you can PM me although I find the newer M40x, M50x, M70x sound harsh compare to R70x as being an open cans, I'm quite particular how the sounds can perform with emotion and great timbre compare to just playing loudly or aggressive.

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #630 of 2,669
  @piaudio and tomkat, thanks for your replies...

I happened to got a chance to listen to earphonia setup with iDSD, itube and iCAN.... they really have a good synergy with the R70X. But you are right, iDSD alone does not mate well with R70X. They also does not mate well with Yulong. So I wonder what other amps that really make it sing.

Tomkat,... it is also a coincidence that I used to have MX1 (which was sold to my friend long time ago...). I also have Hifimediy ESS9023 the synchronous (Tenor) version, but currently I don't have any decent amp. Planned to build MARSH head amp, but really hard to allocate time to build it. When you mention that R70x mate with MX1, then I think I can conclude that R70x need a "lean" amp/source to compensate the warmness of the phones.

BTW, regarding Audinst MX1, I used to experiment of powering it with split power/data cable. The data pair is connected to the PC USB port, while the power pair is connected to a 12VDC SLA linear regulated to 5V. The improvement was not small.

That's assure to hear iDSD alone isn't sufficient, I use Aune X1s that claims to be a totally flat on frequency. I'm still waiting to hear on this amp
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/970055861/hybrid-valve-headphone-amplifier

p.s. if anyone interested in hybrid valve, PM me, someone wanted to sell his hybrid valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back