Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Nov 8, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #601 of 2,669
It sesms that planar sound is something that needs to be experienced, words doesn't help :). As much as I would like to test planar I am "scared" of terrible ergonomics, I'm thinking, in a long run it would definitely be a problem.

Softer highs (and probably whole signature) with "more presence" atribute, is something that typically doesn't go together. So my assumption is that this combination gives so many positive impressions to the AT R70X.

Thanks

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #602 of 2,669
It sesms that planar sound is something that needs to be experienced, words doesn't help :). As much as I would like to test planar I am "scared" of terrible ergonomics, I'm thinking, in a long run it would definitely be a problem.

Softer highs (and probably whole signature) with "more presence" atribute, is something that typically doesn't go together. So my assumption is that this combination gives so many positive impressions to the AT R70X.

Thanks

The highs on the r70x are not soft, just balanced in the frequency spectrum. Lots of headphones have treble spikes which the r70x does not have.

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #606 of 2,669
Just make sure it can properly drive the r70x. My experience is it does scale fairly well with better gear, it needs a good amp to bring out the top/bottom detail and extension.

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #608 of 2,669
To be honest, that is my biggest "fear", that it will be too soft and boring. If it is not so, even better.

I would say the reviews and impressions by people on this forum have been spot on. If you are looking for exciting then maybe another can would suite you better. If you are looking for an excellent reproduction of the source material that is musical and totally excellent then the r70x will serve well.

I don't find the r70x boring at all, but of course YMMV.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #609 of 2,669
Plenty of useful info in this thread, no doubt, and has some civilized discussions which I would like to join in, but first I have to test the 'phone. So next time I will be posting here with some first hand impressions.

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #611 of 2,669
have you ever tried schiit mini combo? (magni + modi)
would it be an upgrade from schiit to aune? for r70x
how significant would be the difference?

I haven't tried it with the R70X, but as I found that combo rather bright with my HD650's (which was the reason I sold the stack and bought a Burson instead) I think it would suit the R70X fine as several reviews has said that a bright amplifier really makes them shine.

I have listened to the R70's a lot this weekend, and I'm really pleased with my purchase. :)

Nov 9, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #612 of 2,669
  have you ever tried schiit mini combo? (magni + modi)
would it be an upgrade from schiit to aune? for r70x
how significant would be the difference?

I'm very sensitive to a bit change in frequency e.g. a small bit of bass or treble change will make the song unbalance and Aune X1s is not perfect either, it's only 80% nice and 10% can be improve with Leo Vintage but losing 10% of the detailed.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/analogartistry/leo-vintage-analog-sound-from-any-modern-device 

Sorry, I haven't have chance to experience schiit over high cost.

Nice of Lachlan to demo this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wmUQDR6zG4

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #613 of 2,669
r70x sounds real good out of my Gustard H10 with the 797/823 opamp mod that is popular in the h10 thread. Sounds real good...

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #614 of 2,669
For those of you who are still wondering or suspect whether the R70X is too laidback or soft. Here's perhaps another better way of describing the R70X - it is neither of those two tonalities. The best term instead for me to use is this - the R70X is incredibly insightful. In fact, each and every day I hear it and back & forth with my Koss electrostatics have convinced me one thing - throughout all this years I've been listening to (phones other than R70X) - each do carry a certain tonality to the point that I hear a recording of a sound instead of just well - sound. My Etys had one. My HD598 has one. My AD700 has one. And even my previous and very expensive W5000s ,Alessandro MS Pro and even the supposedly empirically "neutral" Koss ESP950 electrostatics has one.

And all these phones, no matter how neutral from anecdotal reviews and subjective impressions - to my ears do colour the sound. Sometimes aggravatingly so in their own way/s.

The R70X is the only phone I had for the first time (and this is considering I also have heard the LCD2 and the high end Denon D7000 in the past) that I no longer think of numbers or qualitative tonalities to describe it. It just is about the music presented to you, at you - at the right perception of distance. I believe therefore it is the coordination aspect of this phone that is truly the bulk of the magic. Which is unlike anything I've heard, also especially given not at this price level.

Are you familiar with that feeling whereby you have to "clench" your ears everytime for having to really focus on analysing the music? Or clenching your ears as you try to hold on / try your best to ignore against anything that is emphasized at you, no matter how small?  Well, the R70X easen / lessen this strain by presenting the sound as is. It is incredibly difficult to describe.

Given you have reasonably quality source & amp, ancillaries, cabling, isolations etc - all you get to hear is "volume" of the music itself. The music is the tonality you will get to hear. If that make sense.  

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #615 of 2,669
  For those of you who are still wondering or suspect whether the R70X is too laidback or soft. Here's perhaps another better way of describing the R70X - it is neither of those two tonalities. The best I term instead for me to describe is this - the R70X is incredibly insightful. In fact, each and every day I hear it and back & forth with my Koss electrostatics have convinced me one thing - throughout all this years I've been listening to (phones other than R70X) - each do carry a certain tonality to the point that I hear a recording of a sound instead of just well - sound. My Etys had one. My HD598 has one. My AD700 has one. And even my previous and very expensive W5000s ,Alessandro MS Pro and even the supposedly empirically "neutral" Koss ESP950 electrostatics has one.

And all these phones, no matter how neutral from anecdotal reviews and subjective impressions - to my ears do colour the sound. Sometimes aggravatingly so in their own way/s.

The R70X is the only phone I had for the first time (and this is considering I also have heard the LCD2 and the high end Denon D7000 in the past) that I no longer think of numbers or qualitative tonalities to describe it. It just is about the music presented to you, at you - at the right perception of distance. I believe therefore it is the coordination aspect of this phone that is truly the bulk of the magic. Which is unlike anything I've heard, also especially given not at this price level.

Are you familiar with that feeling whereby you have to "clench" your ears everytime for having to really focus on analysing the music? Or clenching your ears as you try to hold on / try your best to ignore against anything that is emphasized at you, no matter how small?  Well, the R70X easen / lessen this strain by presenting the sound as is. It is incredibly difficult to describe.

Given you have reasonably quality source & amp, ancillaries, cabling, isolations etc - all you get to hear is "volume" of the music itself. The music is the tonality you will get to hear. If that make sense.  

I tried over 10 headphones highend to normal headphones except Focal or Sony at store today, R70x sound as clearly as ATH-M40fs except M40fs being great is the familiar sound you can hear the vocal nuance and vibration with the right DAC in the same feel like a concert, M40x, M50x, M70x don't really sound right to me as being harsh. R70x definitely better and not the dark sounding (mean you can hear the bonus frequency at the bass and treble clearly, unlike highend headphone like LCD-X, etc that make for entertainment purpose).

To say, do you feel the bass guitar and drum sound accurate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back