Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Nov 2, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #571 of 2,669
  Have another question: Does R70x lacks bass response, or it depends on recording or equipment?

I listen to various genres of music, mostly are Trance, Pop, Rock, Ballad, and Female Vocals.

I found the Fidelio X2 slightly too boomy and slightly V-shaped which is not my liking.

earfonia mentioned the X1 here
JimmyJohns99 compared the X2 with the R70x here

I actually impulse purchased one today (along with a Grace x Massdrop m9xx), and I must say that I'm really impressed with how this thing handled to the genres you've listed. Given that you have a Nogizaka46 profile pic, I assume you listen to Japanese music as well?

It's too bad this headphone doesn't have comfortable earpads, or I've gotten so used to the MDR-Z7's large and soft pads. 

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #572 of 2,669
  Have another question: Does R70x lacks bass response, or it depends on recording or equipment?

I listen to various genres of music, mostly are Trance, Pop, Rock, Ballad, and Female Vocals.

I found the Fidelio X2 slightly too boomy and slightly V-shaped which is not my liking.

They lack subbass, but not bass. It depends how the music is mixed. If there is a lot of subbass content and your ears are "trained" with subwoofers, then you will miss something. The M50x for example, have more subbass, but it feels unnatural and bloated. The R70x are a bit on the warmer side with unfatiguing treble and that makes them compatible with a wide range of music. They are the type of headphones that makes you listen to the whole album, not just the selected songs...

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #573 of 2,669

In my experience, the R70x is not at all lacking in bass.  The bass on these headphones is very tight, accurate and really deep when the music calls for it (if they are connected to a really good headphone amplifier).  In my experience, many headphones give the illusion of deep bass by way of driver distortion and/or poor dampening, which often results in slightly loose and exaggerated bass.

The R70x does not have a 'V' shaped sound at all.  On the contrary, they exhibit a very neutral response across the complete frequency spectrum.

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #575 of 2,669
Thanks for your all replies! 
smile.gif

@1337rice: Yes, I'm a fan of Nogizaka46 and listen to J-music as well.
L3000.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #579 of 2,669
  You guys all suck - you made me buy this stupid headphone
L3000.gif

You going to bring it to the Calgary meet and show off? DO IT!

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #580 of 2,669

You going to bring it to the Calgary meet and show off? DO IT!

Lol.

I really do want to go, but I have 5 little kids and getting time away is tough. The wife and I are in negotiations and planning as to how that might work...keep you posted.

By the by, you guys notice any significant burn in effects on these?

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #581 of 2,669
  Lol.

I really do want to go, but I have 5 little kids and getting time away is tough. The wife and I are in negotiations and planning as to how that might work...keep you posted.

Nope. Sounded superb right out of the box.

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #582 of 2,669
  Lol.

I noticed absolutely NO DIFFERENCE between when I heard back on StoreDJ's demo copy during my initital impressions and to the Xth / hundredth hours I've bought my own  to this day. 

Love them once - love them forever. This headphone pretty much makes you forget everything else and simply just allows you to listen just to the music.

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #583 of 2,669
Agreed with tomkat85, who appears to be an Aussie?

These HPs are awesome and to me are competition with the old HE500 in some respects. Also, I learnt that Forza Audio Works does make custom cables for R70x in case people need one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back