Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Oct 23, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #541 of 2,669

Do you think that the hd600 conveys more emotion on vocals? Do you think the hd600 has nicer to listen to midrange? Because I do think so. I don't have the hd600 with me though so I can't make a proper comparison.

Never really got past the, imo, wonky presentation of music with the HD650. It seemed too focused on the midbass and mids like a reverse U-shaped signature. I'm probably going to be hung for saying that, but I didn't like them.

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #542 of 2,669
Sorry got busy with work relations. Ok folks here we go next round of updates particularly the R70X with pairing with drum rolls....... also copied pasted to my other R70X thread as well ..... 

R70X on valve amp (Audiotailor jade)  VS NuForce HA200!

Setup:
Macbook Pro -> Wireworld USB Silver OFC -> Audinst MX1 as Wolfson WM8740 variable output 100% -> Jade / HA200
OR
Macbook Pro -> Wireworld USB Silver OFC -> Cheap asynchronous USB Sabre ES9023 DAC -> Jade / HA200

Power (apologies I should also elaborated this further before)
From wall -> Cattylink / Analog Research Silver Raincoat -> Yarland AC6 power grid.
Power cord for amp : Shunyata Research Diamondbacks
ICs from DACs to AMPs: Acthung audio silver 5 wire solid silver litz RCAs

Accessories
Precision Audio - Cable Elevators(Cable Lifts)
On the chunky cattylink analog silver raincoat
Tubes on the Audio Tailor Jade
Russian 6AS7G (not those fancy NOS ones, this is still the one I’m using as a stock when bought with the amp still working perfectly fine to this day). So in this test I will be testing R70X elligiblity across 12AX7s that I have in stock.
Isolation cones:
made in japan heavyweight carbon TAOC TITE25s (bought these $350SGD, even though yes the changes in SQ are there - never again I’ll be spending that much!!!)

Overall impression R70X with Audiotailor Jade 

the bad....
First things first - :frowning2: quite strangely enough - even on low gain the Jade already drives more than enough volume around 7.30 o’clock. Contrast to the HA200 it's around 9 which allows some reasonable proximal adjustments.Unfortunately this is quite a big negative for me as it doesn't allow to have precise adjustments :frowning2:.

the good / tube rolling notes
But nonetheless what did I hear GENERALLY SPEAKING? My goodness the lower midrange bloom, drive and force is there. And is there even more aplenty. Does the R70X makes it muddy? To me, perhaps. However it did not sound excessively so. There is WEIGHT to almost everything. Even more so than the Nuforce HA200.  My notes on the tubes below

• Electroharmonix 12AX7 -
    I find this to be the most "neutral" baseline of all 12AX7s I have. It neither performs amazingly on one area or specific area of listening. Perhaps an ever so slight smudging on the separation of vocals. On the Nuforce HA200 however, the voices remains well separated and distinct no doubt. This could be well attributed to the fact that the HA200 whilst being a solid state - is definitely more resolving whilst does sounding noticeably drier at first. Had this tube since DOGE6210 days (5 years+) no problems.
  • Tungsol 12AX7 -
    noticeably more “dynamic” and “airier” sound staging than the electroharmonix 12AX7. The vocals may perhaps leave me a little bit more wanting. In other words, I find that whilst the tube musicality was indeed alive in many degrees, it also somewhat smears the impressive voice separating ability. The Nuforce HA200 retains that impressive separation ability.  Had this tube since DOGE6210 days (5 years+) no problems. I find however it can get the soundstaging together with punchier bass may sound too lively with the R70X. 
  • Jan GE PHILLIPS 5751 -
    Impressive midrange euphoric blooms, even more so than the Electroharmonix 12ax7 and the Tungsol  but amazingly thanks to the R70X intuitive coordination of elements actually prevents it from to sound nasal. Had this tube since DOGE6210 days (5 years+) no problems. However interestingly with different DAC (the Wolfson WM8740 in the audinst but using variable RCA 100%) - the voicing separation is better, but still not as accurately separated on the HA200  .
  • JAN GE 12AX7 -
    Somewhat a middleground between the Tung Sol 12AX7's wide soundstage  with the noticeable of bloom of the midrange of the Jan GE 5751. Still somewhat lacks detail of the Tung Sols.
  • Sylvannia 12AU7 -
    a bit shouty in the mids. Voices sounded good. Separation wise difficult to distinguish if it’s any different to the JAN GE 12AX7. 
  • RCA 12AX7 - THE BEST BUT ALSO BUZZIEST WHEN ADJUSTING VOLUME
    Very nice sounding for the R70X & the audits as the DAC! Subtle has a tactful nature to the way it handles each and every thing in the mids. The bass is solidly forceful it really lets you be in the serious head-nodding “zone”.  Micro details are very well resolved enough for me to gather what I liked from the HA200. Voices sounded good. Although out of all 12AX7 tubes I have - this ones produces a buzzy noise each and overtime I adjust vol. The volume adjustment opportunities however, are again my biggest issue as I had to lower the master vol output from the Macbook or the PC, as this to my ears I find the best compromise in volume control VS loss of dynamics as opposed to reduce the RCA output volume output from the Audinst.  The BEST SO FAR next to Tungsol 12AX7’s and Jan GE 5751 (if I only want that romantic blooms).

Conclusions & thoughts of R70X between DACs

Long story short; it is a subjective requirement and decision to choose between a valve or a solid state amp. With the jade I swear I was (*%7#IO52) my head off with even more lower bdy and lower mid range vividness and more plentiful delivery of it. Also depending on which tube I’m using (especially on the 12AX7 Tungsol) - the soundstage can  also sound more dynamic and livelier, though to me it can sound too "fun" to the point of fatiguing (especially combined with the lack of volume adjustment proximity range on the jade). Is it the type of valve amp? OTL? etc? Unfortunately I am never the technical type to know and understand...but I do know and reassured however is that Jade is truly a hybrid. 

Two things I do notice for sure. Vocals - on the Jade do somewhat (though only perhaps ever so slightly) loses their separation factor I loved on the R70X so much, and that resolving micro details and ambience of the HA200 can be somewhat a little lacking on the Jade. However, I find that this can be improved unless if I were to use the best / more/ most expensive  sounding 12AX7 I had collected in the past - eg. RCA 12AX7. The other thing I do notice is that the Nuforce HA200 is perhaps slightly more resolute / more resolving in picking up more details for the R70X then to magically coordinate them tactfully to my ears. This translates to giving that more refinement factor better than the Audiotailor jade. The Jade however, being the hybrid valve amp that it is - meant to be built for musicality.  

Also now that I have listened the R70X across two DACs I must say the Sabre ES9023 is the more resolving, wider soundstage and imaging HOWEVER, the Wolfson WM8740 in the Audinst DOES THE DEPTH of imagery so much more intimately with a sense of perspective - it fits in with my definition of musicality perfectly even though it lacks resolving micro and surrounding ambient detail retrievals from the Sabre ES9023. So with the R70X which one would I consider more superior DAC choice? There is none! The Sabre ES9023 is definitely in my book for overall more resolving performer with outstanding micro and very widely spaced and impressive detail retrievals. Where as the more musicality choice from the further elusively deep imaging I would definitely lean with the Audinst’s Wolfson’s WM8740 DAC with the RCA output @ 100%. 

So is the R70X DAC / source sensitive? Given my experience - absolutely. Everything counts, even in minimal steps. Even my now-sounded-extremely grainy AD700 and recently acquired HD598 improves scalably well. 

Getting back to the amps debate Does this mean the tube is then superior for the R70X? Not necessarily. When I listen onto the jade I am rewarded with even more musicality. With the HA200 (solid state) - I am rewarded back to that balance of neutrality with just enough musicality to keep wanting to listen. Plus most importantly on the HA200 - I find there is more leeway for good comfortable volume adjustment. This to me is an excruciatingly IMPORTANT HEALTH & UX FACTOR. The Audiotailor Jade is unfortunately, only offers me that small degrees of adjustment before it’s too loud on the R70X.

I have never, ever have any idea to understand why people complain this not loud enough, that not loud enough, even if they have 300ohms Beyers, sennies, on powerful amps like the DOGE6210 & Lehmann Black Cube Linear  (which I previously had and DOGE was all broke), the audinst-MX1 (which I have), and the Nuforce HA200 (now) etc. 

Heck even the R70X drives quite well out of my Macbook Pro (tested for curiosity) !!!!! Of course sound wise its just not as refined. 

However at the end of the day - which of the two amps provides me best overall balance & usability? I’d say I would choose the Nuforce HA200. Why? because the usable extra room for volume adjustment helps IMMENSELY for comfortable listening. If I have to be evicted by the banks / foreclosed / homeless, etc - I would unfortunately have to sadly say goodbye to my Audio Tailor Jade!

Enjoy the extra food for thought!

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #544 of 2,669
  ....And believe it or not - yes some of you are anxious to hear this - gaming with the R70X.

Is the R70X good enough for gaming? To my ears - ever so involvingly so.

While I'm not a hardcore gamer per se (the only space for games I have is the thoughtful ones...think MGS, Witchers, etc) - the enveloping bass signature and expansive lower mid range; combined with the effortless, non fatiguing neutrality - the R70X completely changed my experience.

Even more so - that I find vocals sounds so well shaped in Witcher 3 -  for the very first times ever that I turn off in-game subtitles when playing a game. I can honestly say I have never, ever done that before in my life for years, where I would always, always rely on subtitles. It's almost a UX acessibility expectation. Until now.

Sure, there are times where I do need to switch it back on (some drowned out information from nearby NPCs) - but the fact that voices sound so well "outlined" and "shaped" - the R70X uncannily made me understand the voices that much more convincingly; well - human and clear.

Enjoy the extra food for thought!

You mention that they improve the vocals in games, which comes as no surprise, but how about in terms of soundstage and imaging? Can you tell the locations of sounds and do they feel distanced enough? When I tested the R70x for gaming I was disappointed in the soundstage depth as everything sounded a similar distance, and to my ears something like the AD700 was vastly superior for picking out enemy locations and feeling like there's a world around your head (but of course inferior for everything else).

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #546 of 2,669
Has anyone succesdfully contacted anyone from lunashops? Contacted them 3 times over last two weeks with no response from them.only asking as they have a cable for the R70x

I bought their cable for R70X. The cable improves soundstage and clarity a bit, but there's one problem I dislike is the connector to my right side of the headphone is very rubbish. If I plug it fit then it will mute the sound from the right ear can, thus I have to loosen it a bit and by doing so the cable can fall out easily. Don't know if this would happen the same with other cables but you should consider carefully before purchase, I do not think it's a big improvement from the stock cable.  

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #547 of 2,669
  You mention that they improve the vocals in games, which comes as no surprise, but how about in terms of soundstage and imaging? Can you tell the locations of sounds and do they feel distanced enough? When I tested the R70x for gaming I was disappointed in the soundstage depth as everything sounded a similar distance, and to my ears something like the AD700 was vastly superior for picking out enemy locations and feeling like there's a world around your head (but of course inferior for everything else).

Hi Draulius, thanks for the comment.

Again qualities are always; at the end of the day - quite subjective, especially how guilty most of us in trying to use expressive words "soundstage, depth and imaging" far too often to label and categorise sonic qualities, me included!

To me headphones are still headphones. What you are (perhaps) hoping to experience is perhaps something that offers that out-of-the-head experience - which is quite "aesthetically" can be done (if you can really go all the way into tweaks, power cords, isolations, etc very expensive!), but alas we are still effectively speaking - are listening to drivers next to our ears as opposed to hearing the vibration first at a distance then we absorb it as sound; which we can then analyse the distance asect of it better. Yes call me guilty the R70X does this imaging and that depth beautifully - but that is because truly it fits in the context of surprising me in ways that it is just that - music and sound as it is. You hear it because it is presented "just right" as opposed to "viscerally accurate right" (though R70X are still accurate to me to sound neutral enough!).

Sure I don't think R70X can tell me "Ok I can hear this guy creeping up on me exactly 15 feet at this angle, at this timing, etc all from behind".

Perhaps also because with gaming - you are using other major sense as well - that is your eyes / vision & alertness / adrenals, etc. What you see & feel should, effectively speaking - "mask" any "soundstaging" quality as a critical factor. At least maybe I am far less picky than you are but certainly the last thing I want to do is to sit down and analyse and scrutinize every spectrum of sound from every senses possible! To me that would be just very, very fatiguing.

I am guessing this is some thing you are looking for in which I am sorry to finding out that R70X do not fall into your liking!

If I were to listen to my AD700 right now gaming or music wise -.... I just cannot do it. The R70X made it sound so compressed, congested and very, very grainy. Even my old Etys ER4P now sounds more pleasant than it. The only thing perhaps I may somewhat guess why you like the AD700 better is because the sheerly bright and textury presentation, which perhaps outline the sense of distance better perhaps? I don't know.

the R70X; quite literally; have changed my "ears" after 10 years on and off this hobby. It's funny just how "bright" my ears have been accustomed through all those years, thanks to the brightness discipline the AD700s and then W5000s taught through the years; though of course very painful :frowning2:. But oh well as they say - if you do enjoy the AD700 for gaming keep them on mate :)!

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #550 of 2,669
Crap. A electronics store in my country (Sweden) had a 20% off campaign on headphones, including the R70X, so I "accidentally" ordered them.. 250 euro seemed like a fair deal imho. I have just tried them on and listened to them very very briefly, but I liked what I heard and they were extremely comfortable. Hopefully they'll sound nice with my Burson amplifier. I've been looking for a more "correct" version of my HD650's, and the R70X seemed to fit the bill.

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #551 of 2,669
  Crap. A electronics store in my country (Sweden) had a 20% off campaign on headphones, including the R70X, so I "accidentally" ordered them.. 250 euro seemed like a fair deal imho. I have just tried them on and listened to them very very briefly, but I liked what I heard and they were extremely comfortable. Hopefully they'll sound nice with my Burson amplifier. I've been looking for a more "correct" version of my HD650's, and the R70X seemed to fit the bill.

you might need to change the pads :))

Oct 31, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #552 of 2,669
Hi guys, I just bought the R70X yesterday. I had been looking for a flat tuning headphone for a period and almost going to buy LCD2.2 luckily patience had pay off to find this nice headphone.

Currently, I am pairing it with chord hugo and had also read about mojo. I wonder anyone had the comparison between hugo and mojo with this r70x? My hugo is mainly for my hifi system but since it is small enough to bring out so I use it but the size of mojo is better. I had tried mojo before but not with this r70x and find the mojo sound is equally good as hugo. But I would like some opinion on comparison between hugo and mojo with r70x. Btw, anyone know the minimum power needed by r70x as i had to set quite high volume even using chord hugo so i think r70x is very power hungry.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #553 of 2,669
Anyone have the dt700 250 to compare with the r70x? I know the bass on the dt770 is probably more emphasized (and highs?) but I am curious how the sound in general of the two compare. 

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #554 of 2,669
  Anyone have the dt700 250 to compare with the r70x? I know the bass on the dt770 is probably more emphasized (and highs?) but I am curious how the sound in general of the two compare. 

Hmmmm, not quite. Compared the M50x with the DT880 - a close match. DT880 was very sssibilant. The bass were more controlled on the M50x. Soundstage bigger on the DT880. The R70x seems to be on a different level. BTW comparing a closed headphone to an open one is quite difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back