Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
May 5, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #46 of 2,669
Superb review... Bram... a very high standard work... and you have ears that I can trust...
You have high influence on the phones that I have today (maybe 75% that I have now are based on your suggestions..)

It's good to know that ATH keep pumping new phones and exploring on different kind of sounds...

May 5, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #47 of 2,669
  Superb review... Bram... a very high standard work... and you have ears that I can trust...
You have high influence on the phones that I have today (maybe 75% that I have now are based on your suggestions..)

It's good to know that ATH keep pumping new phones and exploring on different kind of sounds...

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Yes, I was surprised when I listened R70x for the first time. Never heard this kind of natural tuning from AT open-back headphone before. Well, some of the AD series sounds quite natural, but mostly bass shy. This R70x is not bass shy. Wonderful balance of bass and midrange. I just would like to have a little more clarity. But it is mostly just because of the music I listen. If you read twister6 review and lachlanlikesathing YouTube review, for them R70x sounds clear enough. So I would say for most people standard, R70x would have enough clarity. Maybe my ears getting old 
redface.gif

May 5, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #48 of 2,669
What's the verdict on the time till good sales for these new headphones start happening. I'm guessing a year or more for discounts, since they just came out. I really have no idea, since I got into the audio hobby about 2 years ago and I haven't kept up with any new product price since I started.

There's always Massdrop, but I don't think they deal with ATH yet.

May 6, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #49 of 2,669
What's the verdict on the time till good sales for these new headphones start happening. I'm guessing a year or more for discounts, since they just came out. I really have no idea, since I got into the audio hobby about 2 years ago and I haven't kept up with any new product price since I started.

There's always Massdrop, but I don't think they deal with ATH yet.

Mass drop did the North American "release" of the MSR7. Would be nice if they also did the R70x...

May 6, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #50 of 2,669
@earfonia I'm planning to demo this headphones sometimes this weekend. From yours and twister6's reviews, it seems like the right headphones for me.

I'll like to ask about your diy cable, as I'm likely to diy a balanced cable if I get the headphones: For the cup side, will any 2.5mm connector work or must it be of the locking type?

Also for the left and right side respectively, must you solder it to the right pole? For example, for the left side, you'll solder to the ground and the centre strip (which correspond to the jack tip and left channel) while for the right side, you'll solder to the ground and the ring (which correspond to the middle strip on the jack and the right channel).

May 6, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #51 of 2,669
@earfonia
 I'm planning to demo this headphones sometimes this weekend. From yours and twister6's reviews, it seems like the right headphones for me.

I'll like to ask about your diy cable, as I'm likely to diy a balanced cable if I get the headphones: For the cup side, will any 2.5mm connector work or must it be of the locking type?

Also for the left and right side respectively, must you solder it to the right pole? For example, for the left side, you'll solder to the ground and the centre strip (which correspond to the jack tip and left channel) while for the right side, you'll solder to the ground and the ring (which correspond to the middle strip on the jack and the right channel).

I haven't tried other 2.5 mm jack. But looking at the socket design, most probably we have to use twist-to-lock type of 2.5 mm jack.

Yes you're right, the left side using tip and shield, the right side using ring and shield.

May 6, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #53 of 2,669
^ Um just so you know, I've never seen an Audio-Technica-authorized discount on any of their headphones in the past 10 years I've been on Head-Fi. Certain resellers have offered some discounts on their cheaper headphones, like the M50 (and the other cheap closed headphone models, along with some IEMs), but I wouldn't count on any deals being offered on the R70x, at least anytime soon since it just came out. Would be way more likely at the end of its lifecycle, but AT also tends to have long product lifecycles, so you could be in for a wait....

May 6, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #54 of 2,669
  ^ Um just so you know, I've never seen an Audio-Technica-authorized discount on any of their headphones in the past 10 years I've been on Head-Fi. Certain resellers have offered some discounts on their cheaper headphones, like the M50 (and the other cheap closed headphone models, along with some IEMs), but I wouldn't count on any deals being offered on the R70x, at least anytime soon since it just came out. Would be way more likely at the end of its lifecycle, but AT also tends to have long product lifecycles, so you could be in for a wait....

That's what I was thinking too.  Well I guess they will slowly drop in price over time like most new headphones, since the R70x's have a smaller market.  Now if Musician's Friend or Guitar Center had them I could get a deal by an alternate route with their random/holiday gift card 15% - 20% discounts.

May 7, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #55 of 2,669
+1 Great review. Everething has been said, no questions left.

The only thing i wonder, how r70x will be compared to my current HE500s. It will be sad if 350 bucks cans outperforms 500$ planars, but from review, i think, they can :mad:

May 7, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #56 of 2,669
That's what I was thinking too.  Well I guess they will slowly drop in price over time like most new headphones, since the R70x's have a smaller market.  Now if Musician's Friend or Guitar Center had them I could get a deal by an alternate route with their random/holiday gift card 15% - 20% discounts.

Um if you think the R70x has a small market, you should google "ATH-R70x" and "View all stores and prices". 
tongue.gif
When every major pro audio online store has it now, I'm pretty sure the R70x is going to bust into pro studios everywhere! I'd guess there's a really good chance those brick & mortar stores will carry it too!

I'm actually surprised by how wide a release a $350 headphone from Audio-Technica is getting in the US, they usually keep their more-expensive headphones inside Japan!

May 7, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #57 of 2,669
+1 Great review. Everething has been said, no questions left.

The only thing i wonder, how r70x will be compared to my current HE500s. It will be sad if 350 bucks cans outperforms 500$ planars, but from review, i think, they can
mad.gif

I don't remember HE500, but I have HE5-LE. My HE5-LE has better dynamic than R70x, but tonality, R70x wins. HE5-LE is rather bright, and need warm and powerful amp for optimum performance.

Um if you think the R70x has a small market, you should google "ATH-R70x" and "View all stores and prices". 
tongue.gif
When every major pro audio online store has it now, I'm pretty sure the R70x is going to bust into pro studios everywhere! I'd guess there's a really good chance those brick & mortar stores will carry it too!

I'm actually surprised by how wide a release a $350 headphone from Audio-Technica is getting in the US, they usually keep their more-expensive headphones inside Japan!

I believe R70x is going to be popular among audiophiles and professionals. It is clearly one among the best Audio-Technica headphone I ever heard.  And the price is right.

May 7, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #58 of 2,669
I don't remember HE500, but I have HE5-LE. My HE5-LE has better dynamic than R70x, but tonality, R70x wins. HE5-LE is rather bright, and need warm and powerful amp for optimum performance.

Thank you. I dont regret that i'm bought he500s. But i had to sell my nad d1050 dac and get more warmer and powerful nfb10.33.
But if i read this review at least a month ago, i proably choosed r70x.

May 7, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #59 of 2,669
Thank you. I dont regret that i'm bought he500s. But i had to sell my nad d1050 dac and get more warmer and powerful nfb10.33.
But if i read this review at least a month ago, i proably choosed r70x.

One more thing, R70x is much lighter than my heavy HE5-LE 
tongue.gif

So comfort wise, R70x wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back