Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
May 3, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #31 of 2,669

I just got the r70x last week. Would a cayin c5 + fiio x3 2nd gen be a decent pairing with this pair of headphones?

I haven't tried Cayin C5. I have Fiio X3 2nd gen, unfortunately not a very good pairing with R70x.

I second that! X3ii is warm, and even so it can drive R70x without a problem, it needs a neutral/bright source IMHO.

Here is my idea setup for now, with N6+C5 (using FiiO silver-plated LO interconnect).  C5 add a new dimension to soundstage expansion and tightens the low end of R70x.

May 3, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #32 of 2,669
Anyone driven the R70x with an Objective2 amp? Impressions?

May 3, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #33 of 2,669
Just posted my review of R70x: http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-r70x-r-series-professional-open-back-dynamic-reference-headphone/reviews/13058 , and I'm as impressed with these open back headphones as @earfonia 
beerchug.gif

May 4, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #34 of 2,669
  Thanks for the reply :), unfortunately the fiio x3ii is the only dap own and will have to do for now :frowning2:

Fiio X3ii is fine, just not the best for R70x. With something like Cayin N6 or iBasso DX90, you will get more from R70x.

The magni has a neutral sound with a slightly bright signature, common for a solid state amp. 

Sounds good for R70x.

Here's lachlanlikesathing's 'first impression' video of the ATH-R70x.

Thanks for link!

May 4, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #35 of 2,669

Really nice, concise, excellent review!  Thank you!
Also thanks for the comparisons with other headphones!
Agree with you, this R70x should have come with a good semi-hard case.

I've added the link of your review at the first page.

May 4, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #36 of 2,669
Thank you, earfonia and twister6. I'm waiting for reviews for weeks now (-,
Great written, so, that I had to register. 

Earfonia, you wrote earlier, that you would not use these cans for mixing, but for mastering.
I'd like to buy them for my little studio, where I'm forced into HPs during night sessions.
I mix on Shure840s and got a DT880 pro/250 a couple a weeks ago. (beside my HD25 for tracking/DJ and a Superlux 681B)
Right now I'm quite pleased with my 880s.
Sound is electronic, house...bass/sub is important...but I listen to different genres as well.

Would you think, R70X is 'more of the same' compared to my 880s ?
Would it be a good companion for my HPs, controlling a mix, a little premastering or listening?  
Source is a RME UCX, which drives the DTs pretty well. 

Another question about an amp...was thinking to get me an O2, just in case, I'm not getting much power straight out of my computer for listening. (Realtek ALC1150)
Anyone knows, if the basic gain settings would be good enough, or should I build the kit for getting more options? 

Sorry for my longer, first post! (-,

May 4, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #37 of 2,669

Really nice, concise, excellent review!  Thank you!
Also thanks for the comparisons with other headphones!
Agree with you, this R70x should have come with a good semi-hard case.

I've added the link of your review at the first page.

Thank you Bram!  I think we tag-team on this review!!!

May 4, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #39 of 2,669
  Thank you, earfonia and twister6. I'm waiting for reviews for weeks now (-,
Great written, so, that I had to register. 

Earfonia, you wrote earlier, that you would not use these cans for mixing, but for mastering.
I'd like to buy them for my little studio, where I'm forced into HPs during night sessions.
I mix on Shure840s and got a DT880 pro/250 a couple a weeks ago. (beside my HD25 for tracking/DJ and a Superlux 681B)
Right now I'm quite pleased with my 880s.
Sound is electronic, house...bass/sub is important...but I listen to different genres as well.

Would you think, R70X is 'more of the same' compared to my 880s ?
Would it be a good companion for my HPs, controlling a mix, a little premastering or listening?  
Source is a RME UCX, which drives the DTs pretty well. 

Another question about an amp...was thinking to get me an O2, just in case, I'm not getting much power straight out of my computer for listening. (Realtek ALC1150)
Anyone knows, if the basic gain settings would be good enough, or should I build the kit for getting more options? 

Sorry for my longer, first post! (-,

Yes, in my case, since I have some more analytic sounding headphones, for mixing I still prefer the more analytic headphone. But in mixing we do eq-ing as well, that part, R70x works well. But yes, I prefer R70x for mastering part.
I have also both SRH840 and DT 880 Pro, they are good for mixing. R70x is closer to SRH840 tonally, than DT 880. Imagine SRH840 in open-back design. Overall, R70x is still slightly better than SRH840, especially on vocal, a little fuller on the mids and bass. But SRH840 might sounds a little clearer and probably detailed, due to closed-back design.

IMHO, both SRH840 and DT880 are sufficient. I would probably rely more on DT 880 during mixing, but SRH840 is actually pretty good for mixing as well. For mastering, I would rely on SRH840 for tonality adjustment. DT 880 is a little too bright for mastering.

I don't know the sound signature of RME UCX (nice interface!), so I cannot comment on the matching.  You can try ifi micro iCAN. Go to Stereo, they have them, both micro iCAN and R70x. Usually they stack it with micro iTube. Ask them to bypass the iTube for R70x.

ATH-R70x is actually a very nice music listening headphone :wink:

May 4, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #40 of 2,669

Thank you Bram!  I think we tag-team on this review!!!

beerchug.gif

Would anyone who has heard both the r70x and hd700 be able to give us a comparison? Thanks

HD700 is just like another variant of HD800, still the 'North Pole' family, so quite different than the ATH-R70x. More or less you can use HD800 with R70x comparison to estimate HD700 vs. R70x.

May 5, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #42 of 2,669
you are comparing R70x with 1000+$ headphones......and it's only 350$ :D

Yes. For a few reasons:
1. That's all the professional reference headphones I have.

2. Many people are familiar with the sound signature of the headphones I used in comparison, so it is easier for them to gauge or estimate how R70x sounds.

3. Regardless the price, what professionals need to know is how good it is for professional use. Doesn't matter the price, if it is good, it is useful. If it is bad, it is useless. Even if the price is 2-3k, if it sounds bad, it is useless. Even if the price is less than $100, if it is good, it is useful. Price doesn't say much about the sound quality.

May 5, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #43 of 2,669
Yes. For a few reasons:
1. That's all the professional reference headphones I have.

2. Many people are familiar with the sound signature of the headphones I used in comparison, so it is easier for them to gauge or estimate how R70x sounds.

3. Regardless the price, what professionals need to know is how good it is for professional use. Doesn't matter the price, if it is good, it is useful. If it is bad, it is useless. Even if the price is 2-3k, if it sounds bad, it is useless. Even if the price is less than $100, if it is good, it is useful. Price doesn't say much about the sound quality.
you are absolutely correct. What I meant was that the R70x could compete against big boys regardless of it's price....that's what we want.....

May 5, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #44 of 2,669
you are absolutely correct. What I meant was that the R70x could compete against big boys regardless of it's price....that's what we want.....

Yes! That's the good news!
To my ears R70x is better than HD650. That's already a very good achievement.

May 5, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #45 of 2,669
Doesn't matter the price, if it is good, it is useful. If it is bad, it is useless.

Price doesn't say much about the sound quality.

+1,000,000!!!

Yes! That's the good news!
To my ears R70x is better than HD650. That's already a very good achievement.

eek.gif

atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back