Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Jul 7, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #1,756 of 2,655
how much more power does it need? More than 110dB then RIP your ears. Pretty much all the instruments and frequencies will be exposed at 110dB.

R70X bass response is likely to vary greatly based on amplification due to it's absurd impedance graph:

It's really not about how loud a calculator tells you it will get because you are just using an average impedance. In reality there is an impedance for different frequencies of the driver. If you look at the graph above the bass regions of the R70x will swing up to 900ohms. If you have a weaker amplifier the cans will still get loud but the frequency response will be skewed.

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #1,757 of 2,655
It's really not about how loud a calculator tells you it will get because you are just using an average impedance. In reality there is an impedance for different frequencies of the driver. If you look at the graph above the bass regions of the R70x will swing up to 900ohms. If you have a weaker amplifier the cans will still get loud but the frequency response will be skewed.

I see. So should I get a new DAC/AMP combo (Considering the mojo) or just get an amp? An amp like the A5 might be cheaper but the sound will probably be worse too? I mean, what's the point of a $500 DAC if you're going to degrade the sound with a $200 Amp? So I should just get the mojo?

Anyone know an AMP at ~$500 that doesn't degrade the DAC's output? But for $500 I can just get the mojo.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #1,758 of 2,655
Yes many device even just a smartphone can drive r70x loud. But it's a high impedance cans. When the cans need to produce a deep bass , it will need more power. Loud enough sound doesn't mean it already on it's full potential. It needs more current... If you power it properly (in terms of power) , it will sound more dynamic, more bass rumble and impact also more treble extension.

Cmiiw.

Yes. 👍

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #1,759 of 2,655
I see. So should I get a new DAC/AMP combo (Considering the mojo) or just get an amp? An amp like the A5 might be cheaper but the sound will probably be worse too? I mean, what's the point of a $500 DAC if you're going to degrade the sound with a $200 Amp? So I should just get the mojo?

Anyone know an AMP at ~$500 that doesn't degrade the DAC's output? But for $500 I can just get the mojo.
I use xduoo XD-05 plus, it can drive the cans properly without problem :D

I don't think mojo can handle this cans , since I eliminate the mojo for my option when I'm looking for portable DAC amp to drive r70x.

My list are
For portable
Xduoo XD-05 plus, ifi micro idsd , ifi micro black label

For desktop ,
Topping A300+D30.

Thats cheap and good option for desktop and portable amp+DAC combo 👍

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #1,760 of 2,655

Anyone know an AMP at ~$500 that doesn't degrade the DAC's output?
If you're looking for something somewhat portable the iFi idsd micro black label is a good pairing with R70X.

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #1,761 of 2,655
I use xduoo XD-05 plus, it can drive the cans properly without problem :D

I don't think mojo can handle this cans , since I eliminate the mojo for my option when I'm looking for portable DAC amp to drive r70x.

My list are
For portable
Xduoo XD-05 plus, ifi micro idsd , ifi micro black label

For desktop ,
Topping A300+D30.

Thats cheap and good option for desktop and portable amp+DAC combo

The Xduoo and Toppings are too cheap. They'll degrade my DAC's output.

The 2 micro idsd's I'll do my research. Is the BL that much better than the normal? At the end my decision will probably be Mojo vs Micro iDSD BL. But the mojo's amp is pretty powerful too (35mW @ 600Ohms = 70mW @ 300Ohms)

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #1,763 of 2,655
It is not about playing loud. It is about having a sense of ease, space and control over the bass.

I get it, which is why I'm asking if I should just get a cheap amp like the Fiio A5 or just get another AMP/DAC combo like the Mojo or iDSD. Is a cheap amp going to degrade the sound converted from a high quality $500 DAC? Is getting a new DAC/AMP combo a better choice?

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #1,764 of 2,655
Is the BL that much better than the normal?

micro iDSD BL is substantially better than the original silver one.

It is not about playing loud. It is about having a sense of ease, space and control over the bass.

Exactly.

Is a cheap amp going to degrade the sound converted from a high quality $500 DAC? Is getting a new DAC/AMP combo a better choice?

It depends on an amp, but if I were you I'd focus on how many products I'd like to have. If you'll be happy with a quality DAC/amp combo, I'd get it.

If you'd like to have a DAC and amp separated to mix and match in the future with other products, I'd look for two devices known to work well together.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 7, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #1,765 of 2,655

The 2 micro idsd's I'll do my research. Is the BL that much better than the normal? At the end my decision will probably be Mojo vs Micro iDSD BL. But the mojo's amp is pretty powerful too (35mW @ 600Ohms = 70mW @ 300Ohms)
I will go for idsd bl since it has more power and more aggressive tonality.
In terms of power , I think idsd bl is a more safe option.
Mojo have a warm lush and smooth tonality, but I can't guarantee it will give enough juice to the cans
Maybe you can try both on store? :D

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #1,766 of 2,655
I will go for idsd bl since it has more power and more aggressive tonality.
In terms of power , I think idsd bl is a more safe option.
Mojo have a warm lush and smooth tonality, but I can't guarantee it will give enough juice to the cans
Maybe you can try both on store? :D
Is the Fiio A5 a good pairing with the R70x? I don't feel like spending another $600 on a DAC, my DAC is the same tier as the mojo and iDSD, just the amp is weaker. Will buying a cheaper amp ruin the sound that the DAC produces? It feels really wasteful but I guess if have no choice...

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #1,767 of 2,655

Micro iDSD BL would be my strong recommendation. I have had a Mojo and was not very happy with it...

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #1,768 of 2,655
O
Is the Fiio A5 a good pairing with the R70x? I don't feel like spending another $600 on a DAC, my DAC is the same tier as the mojo and iDSD, just the amp is weaker. Will buying a cheaper amp ruin the sound that the DAC produces? It feels really wasteful but I guess if have no choice...
Maybe you can check out the THX AAA amp , the best amp right now based from Joshua valour review :D

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #1,769 of 2,655
Actually the whole point of such significant impedance is to not skew the response with amps of relatively high impedance outputs. MInimum impedance is around 400 ohms (that's alot). Most solid-state amps these days are relatively low impedance that the value would be insignificant relative to such a high impedance on the R70X.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #1,770 of 2,655
Micro iDSD BL would be my strong recommendation. I have had a Mojo and was not very happy with it...

I'm leaning a bit more leaning towards the mojo since it has a higher THD and SNR (and looks cuter). But that's in the future. Right now I'm kinda broke and desperate and just asking if a cheap Amp like the A5 will make the sound of my $500 DAC/AMP more clear or will it downgrade the sound even more? Since a $500 dac to $200 Amp = $200 sound? But isn't the goal of the amp just to amplify the wave a DAC outputs with very low noise and clean signal? Isn't the sound quality more determined by the DAC? I'm asking dumb questions but I just want to be sure I'm not over/underspending. :sweat:

Do you recommend the A5 in particular? TBH I'm fine with the way my R70x'es sound with my DAC even if they're not showing their true potential (a lot of people in this thread do the same, plugging it to their phones or macbooks) so I can wait a bit if there's no point of a cheap amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back