Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
May 7, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #1,681 of 2,669
Just got these. head-band sucks, so big heads beware! It's a stupid design, non-adjustable, no slider. Due to this, the placement of the cups feel very unsatifying, and I keep thinking about it. So far, that's the only complaint. Other than that, it reminds me of Koss ESP-95X in it's non-piercing, soft response. It's balanced, and although volume is lower than other headphones, it's driven fine with weaker sources as long as you raise the volume. It has good bass impact, not really better with tubes. Most similar to HD6XX with greater bass, or impact IMO (at least that's was my first impression), but with softer upper-mids presence. Bass presence definately is more significant and more satisfying than the 6XX. Big positive is it's airy sound. Very airy in the way sound decays, it's like there's no real reflections.

I say it's for those looking for soft, smoother, non-fatiguing experience (don't like hard or piercing trebles) and require airy headphone response and need bass (it's a dynamic open-back with bass). I bet you can sit there for hours listening to these.

I think the terms that I sort of understand people use that often describe sound like this is 'sweet?' It has a sweet response. If looking for high resolution, this isn't it.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #1,682 of 2,669
Thanks for sharing that, Silver. If you don't mind me askin, what sparked this new headphone buying spree? Just bored with the covid, and lookin for some new HPs to try out?

May 7, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #1,683 of 2,669
Thanks for sharing that, Silver. If you don't mind me askin, what sparked this new headphone buying spree? Just bored with the covid, and lookin for some new HPs to try out?
Curiosity and boredom usually. It's like trying out new bottles of wine because there a lot of variations in headphone space. You know, like car enthusiasts with bigger budgets. COVID or not, this hobby will not change for me, until this hobby becomes not worth exploring any more, and then move onto something else.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #1,684 of 2,669
Well, the add'l input is appreciated fwiw. You're tryin out alot of stuff that I've been lookin at recently. And I'm frankly a little envious. :)

Have you tried any of the HPs from Monoprice?

May 7, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #1,685 of 2,669
Well, the add'l input is appreciated fwiw. You're tryin out alot of stuff that I've been lookin at recently. And I'm frankly a little envious. :)

Have you tried any of the HPs from Monoprice?
I have and impressions isn't very good. Their designs are replicating the look of other headphones already existing, and the sound isn't particulary note-worthy either. Like M1060 for example, people heavily mods it to enhance the sound, and it's likely due to lower pricing compare to the more expensive authentic and original headphones. The QC and build quality arn't the best either. Monoprice is a company that makes general items and sometimes from copying other company's original ideas. Their copy will not replicate same quality of sound unfortunately. It's for people mainly focused on budget.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #1,686 of 2,669
I have and impressions isn't very good. Their designs are replicating the look of other headphones already existing, and the sound isn't particulary note-worthy either. Like M1060 for example, people heavily mods it to enhance the sound, and it's likely due to lower pricing compare to the more expensive authentic and original headphones. The QC and build quality arn't the best either. Monoprice is a company that makes general items and sometimes from copying other company's original ideas. Their copy will not replicate same quality of sound unfortunately. It's for people mainly focused on budget.

I believe they started out making cables with gold-plated connectors. And only selling them online to keep their overhead to a minimum. And then branched out from there. Whether they were any good, I don't know. But some folks I know in the home video market would often get their cables from Monoprice, just because they were so cheap.

Since you're in buy mode, do me one small favor. If you ever get the itch to try a pair of AKG K553's, take a look at some of my impressions here first, so you'll have a better idea what you might be gettin into...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/impressions-of-akg-k553.776393/

The K553's have a couple positives, like good extension, low clamp force, and large plush (though poorly designed imo) earpads which are pretty comfy for longer term use. And fairly sturdy construction (wiring excluded). But they have quite a few downsides as well, including their rather harsh out-of-box sound sig. That's why you will rarely if ever hear me extolling their virtues here. Based on your other prefs, I don't think you'd like their stock sound. Unless AKG/Harman has made some more tweaks to it on the latest version with detachable cable, which I rather doubt.

I believe AKG is still part of Harman btw, which is now owned by Samsung. So that's why the AKG K371 is so close to the Harman target. I think there may be some other headphone manufacturers doing at least as good or possibly even a better job of leveraging some of Harman's research though in their headphone designs than AKG has so far.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #1,687 of 2,669
Just got these. head-band sucks, so big heads beware! It's a stupid design, non-adjustable, no slider. Due to this, the placement of the cups feel very unsatifying, and I keep thinking about it. So far, that's the only complaint. Other than that, it reminds me of Koss ESP-95X in it's non-piercing, soft response. It's balanced, and although volume is lower than other headphones, it's driven fine with weaker sources as long as you raise the volume. It has good bass impact, not really better with tubes. Most similar to HD6XX with greater bass, or impact IMO (at least that's was my first impression), but with softer upper-mids presence. Bass presence definately is more significant and more satisfying than the 6XX. Big positive is it's airy sound. Very airy in the way sound decays, it's like there's no real reflections.

I say it's for those looking for soft, smoother, non-fatiguing experience (don't like hard or piercing trebles) and require airy headphone response and need bass (it's a dynamic open-back with bass). I bet you can sit there for hours listening to these.

I think the terms that I sort of understand people use that often describe sound like this is 'sweet?' It has a sweet response. If looking for high resolution, this isn't it.

The design is weird compared to most headphones and creates a very hit or miss comfort situation. Sound balance of the headphone is great and it does have an airier sound. Do wish the resolution was a bit more personally and that’s where I think they are held back the most in terms of sound. They do sound on the sweet side which I personally like quite a bit. And it’s nice that the upper mids is softer than on the HD 6XX, upper mids have always been what made me let go of the Senns over and over in the past, just simply too much for my ears and causes a fair amount of fatigue, nothing wrong with them but my ears just favor a different presentation. Have decided to keep the R70x even though the initial new toy syndrome had died down some but I still like them enough to keep.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #1,688 of 2,669
The design is weird compared to most headphones and creates a very hit or miss comfort situation. Sound balance of the headphone is great and it does have an airier sound. Do wish the resolution was a bit more personally and that’s where I think they are held back the most in terms of sound. They do sound on the sweet side which I personally like quite a bit. And it’s nice that the upper mids is softer than on the HD 6XX, upper mids have always been what made me let go of the Senns over and over in the past, just simply too much for my ears and causes a fair amount of fatigue, nothing wrong with them but my ears just favor a different presentation. Have decided to keep the R70x even though the initial new toy syndrome had died down some but I still like them enough to keep.
It definitely feels cheap in the hand, but very light. I wish they'd revise the headband to be adjustable. It's one of those sounds that's not highly resolving, but still enjoyable because there's nothing in the response that get's piercing or hard. Yes, the HD650/6xx has sharper upper-mids with HD600 getting harder and more emphasized. I really like the bass on these, and it's surprising for an open-back, and how easily the bass can be present from any types of amps. Very fun, and non-offensive.

Definitely prefer these over K712. I know these don't resolve that much either, but it does have more presence in the upper-mids that does define the sounds better tonally. It just does't define it in a way with hard textures. If the bass presence wasn't like it is, I wouldn't be as enthusiastic.

Now I wonder if their higher-end stuff will keep the sweetness and raise the resolution? I wonder if that's possible?

Anybody know if the cable plugs have a left and right? It wasn't labeled, does it not matter?

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #1,689 of 2,669
It definitely feels cheap in the hand, but very light. I wish they'd revise the headband to be adjustable. It's one of those sounds that's not highly resolving, but still enjoyable because there's nothing in the response that get's piercing or hard. Yes, the HD650/6xx has sharper upper-mids with HD600 getting harder and more emphasized. I really like the bass on these, and it's surprising for an open-back, and how easily the bass can be present from any types of amps. Very fun, and non-offensive.

Definitely prefer these over K712. I know these don't resolve that much either, but it does have more presence in the upper-mids that does define the sounds better tonally. It just does't define it in a way with hard textures. If the bass presence wasn't like it is, I wouldn't be as enthusiastic.

Now I wonder if their higher-end stuff will keep the sweetness and raise the resolution? I wonder if that's possible?

Anybody know if the cable plugs have a left and right? It wasn't labeled, does it not matter?
R70X is pretty much unique in AT line up. The closest to a higher res version without dropping stupid amounts is A2000z imo. You can plug in the cables either way. Both sides are configured to be stereo so you dont need to bother with left/right orientation. Although if you dont like the wing system AT might not be for you sadly. R70X is the tightest of all the AT that use the wing system from my limited experience.

May 7, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,690 of 2,669

They do feel a little cheap but at the same time not worried about their build quality. Yeah,it doesn't seem to have the focus, inner detail, and depth of my other headphones. Yeah and sadly that's what is the deal-breaker on the HD 6XX/650 and HD 600 for me, I think I may dislike the sharpness more on the HD 6XX/650 than the slight hardness on the HD 600 but would have to try a HD 600 again to confirm, which I haven't owned numerous times like the HD 650. They do have good bass for a fully open-back headphones.

What I really want to hear is the ADX5000, if it has excellent resolution, quite neutral like many say it is, but keeps that addictive sweetness, I would love it.

It doesn't matter, plug whichever way you want.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #1,691 of 2,669
R70X is pretty much unique in AT line up. The closest to a higher res version without dropping stupid amounts is A2000z imo. You can plug in the cables either way. Both sides are configured to be stereo so you dont need to bother with left/right orientation. Although if you dont like the wing system AT might not be for you sadly. R70X is the tightest of all the AT that use the wing system from my limited experience.
ADX5000 is their flagship isn't it? At least on the webpage, and then there is the crazy expensive closed-back model with very unique design, the L5000 that's under $7k!

I started listening to jazz and it really does test the size of the sound stage. Sound stage isn't that big, and it doesn't sparkle much. My experience is, Jazz needs hard sounding headphones that has hard attacks. It's a bit on the soft side to be a strong jazz headphone, but with vocals and pop, it's enjoyable (with vocals, not quite). I especially like it with hip-hop though (due to the bass going fairly deep).

Edit: vocals doesn't sound as full as I like. It feels some vocals definition is missing. Although not really recessed, but pulled a bit back compared to the level I prefer.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #1,692 of 2,669
They do feel a little cheap but at the same time not worried about their build quality. Yeah,it doesn't seem to have the focus, inner detail, and depth of my other headphones. Yeah and sadly that's what is the deal-breaker on the HD 6XX/650 and HD 600 for me, I think I may dislike the sharpness more on the HD 6XX/650 than the slight hardness on the HD 600 but would have to try a HD 600 again to confirm, which I haven't owned numerous times like the HD 650. They do have good bass for a fully open-back headphones.

What I really want to hear is the ADX5000, if it has excellent resolution, quite neutral like many say it is, but keeps that addictive sweetness, I would love it.

It doesn't matter, plug whichever way you want.
Hmm....I would say the ADX5K is different enough from the R70X, while the R70X has a bass bias the ADX5K has a trebble bias. Its a very nice headphone if you like bright sigs. Abit harsh on the trebble to my hears though and benifits greatly from hybrid tubes smoothing out the trebble just a touch. That be said yeah the ADX5k is in another league all together and very good if you are looking for that detail.

@SilverEars Yeah ADX5K is their current flagship openback. L5000 is limited and therefore they are charging stupid prices. AWKT would be their current flagship closed back and what I consider to be the upgrade to the r70x but its still in the kilodoller range.

Yeah I can see why you say R70X is not good hard jazz. Decays hang around just a smige too long and trebble abit too smooth I think.Not sure about the soundstage part though sounds ok too me. I hear hifiman works wonders for jazz.

If you want full vocals the AD2000x has you covered.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #1,693 of 2,669
Yeah I can see why you say R70X is not good hard jazz. Decays hang around just a smige too long and trebble abit too smooth I think.Not sure about the soundstage part though sounds ok too me. I hear hifiman works wonders for jazz.
Ok, the sound stage seems to depends somewhat on the amp, the source I was using was a transportable DAC/Amp combo device. and it generally doesn't bring out the potential sound stage of open-backs well.

I'm surprised how effortless the drive-ability is. It seems to responds quickly in general.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #1,694 of 2,669
It's balanced, and although volume is lower than other headphones, it's driven fine with weaker sources as long as you raise the volume. It has good bass impact, not really better with tubes.

Are any of your amps higher impedance? Or do they have a higher impedance mode that you can switch to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back