Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Apr 6, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #2,701 of 2,803
Many THANKS respected llysender. You have calmed my soul. And lately I just think about headphones. I dare to ask you. The MSR7 has a specific connection cable. Please tell me the suitable cable for MSR7, and whether it will change the sound of the headphones in contrast to the original cable. And is it worth buying for the MSR7 DAC + amplifier. Cheap models are worth considering. Although the MSR7 works fine from my HP Pavilion laptop. Once again, I apologize for my importunity. I probably already tortured you with my questions. Just a very sensitive topic about the choice of headphones.

Apr 6, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #2,702 of 2,803
@Alexandrusniz
The orginal MSR7 uses a normal 3.5mm TRS aux cable on the headphone end so any cable will do as long as it as a 3.5mm connector. It sounds better with a Amp/Dac(I'm currently using the fiio K5 pro) but honestly I think it should be good enough out of your laptop. As I stated before the fiio K5 pro would be my recommended or if you need portable xduoo xd-05 but I would only get it if you have the money to spare. Maybe ifi zen or hip dac but I dont really like the warmer more compressed sound coming from those.

Personally I find that getting the MSR7 would be a bigger concern as it can sound good of almost anything.

No worries about the questions. As long as I have time I'll try to answer.

Apr 6, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #2,703 of 2,803
Thank you for your advice, dear llysender. The only problem with the MSR7 is the recessed hole 3.5 mm jack. Therefore, not every cable is suitable. Or you have to work on the cable. And yes, you're right. My HP Pavilion MSR7 laptop sounds noisy at low volume. With an old Acer laptop, I had to turn up the volume. And the fiio K5 pro you proposed is very good for such a small sum of money. While I talked with you, MSR7 remained in only one store. Urgently need to buy. I express to you, dear llysender, GREAT GRATITUDE. You really helped me with your advice. I have been using MSR7 for almost 10 years or so. I was always very pleased with them. Therefore, I will buy them without hesitation. Dear llysender, please take care of yourself and your loved ones in the fight against this damned covid-19 virus. I wish you HEALTH and all the best to you. Regards to you, Alexander.

Apr 17, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #2,704 of 2,803
My personal opinion, the most comfortable ear pads tend to be the ones that are made of sheepskin (either Brainwavz or Dekoni). The Brainwavz pads are acceptable (cheaper), and the Dekoni are better (more expensive). Either will suffice. Pleather ear pads are a close substitute. Do NOT get anything that is either velour material OR angled ear pads (velour or sheepskin). Both are not to be used on the MSR7.

I’m a tad biased (to be expected) when it comes to mods on the MSR7, so when it comes to whether or not my mods are worth it… I think you get the gist. However, if you are going to go with an upgrade to more comfortable ear pads on the MSR7 you MUST mod it in some way as the sound signature of the MSR7 with a change in ear pads will make the sound slightly more treble accentuated / thinner as previously described before.

The easiest way to get rid of this is to do the following mods in this order;

1. As per Tolis’s recommendation, remove the small circular white felt type sticker that covers the hole within the headphone housing. This will give you a very satisfying increase in bass. A lot of bass. Seriously, a LOT of good quality bass (we're not talking Beats bass here), and this is more than enough to satisfy the inherent problems with fitting any leather / pleather aftermarket ear pads. In my opinion, this mod will slightly lessen the high details that this headphone is renowned for. So keep this in mind if you want to choose this one and only mod.
2. To do the above mod, you need to take apart the cans to remove the circular white sticker. If you want some of that good bass over the altered sound signature that the aftermarket ear pads gives the MSR7 with the crystal clear details as well, I found that replacing the circular white felt type sticker with another material (Fixomull Stretch) works the best. This material was the best substitute I found. It is a medical type of tape that is used for bandaging and is very stretchable. I found it at a local chemist / drug store and I’m sure it can be found anywhere around the world. Look it up. It works very well.
3. Use a filter to tame the highs. The best material (after trying everything I could reasonably find from tissue papers, toilet papers, felts, hand paper towels, wet wipes, tracing papers, etc. etc.) is a type of clothing material made by Vlieseline. It’s a clothing filler (the company that makes it call it a batting). It was a medium type batting and I think it was called B246? I can’t quite remember the exact code of batting. If you look up medium clothing batting from Vlieseline’s web site, I’m sure you’ll find it or something close to it.
4. To tame the MSR7’s highs just that little more, I put some Fixomull Stretch around the perimeter of the headphone’s driver grill. This worked well for me to just take that additional fraction more treble off the sound signature.
5. Another mod that works well for me is the slight raising of the ear pad cushions. This is one that works well if you want some additional sound stage and comfort. For this mod I used a type of construction material (a polyethylene gap filler rod) used to seal gaps between materials (wall and windows etc.) by making a circle and gluing the two ends together. After the glue has cured, I then pushed the circular rings I created out of the material into the perimeter of the ear pads that fits around your ears (see photos attached).

Best headband cover would be sheepskin leather. If that’s not feasible then use a soft and durable lounge type fabric. You might need to get the services of a good lounge restoration technician for this one if you’re not up to using a needle and thread.

In terms of wearing these headphones in, I think I went with about 1 week of playing my pair at decent volume using all sorts of music. I think by doing this I may have increased the sound signature of the headphones very slightly. It’s a very nuanced change for the better. Just wearing them in by listening to music over a six month period will do the same really. Not a real game changer if you’re looking for a better listing experience.

For cleaning the earpads, I use a specific leather cleaner. It’s a specific disposable cloth wipe called Everyday Leather Wipes made by Oakwood. With leather ear pads they can and will accumulate oils and dirt from your body (especially on hot days in summer). It’s highly recommended that anyone using leather products that touch your skin be cleaned regularly. It’s just a good hygiene thing. I also used a leather conditioning / sealing treatment before using the ear pads. This helps maintain it's characteristics and supple feeling while also waterproofing them.

Hope that helped you in some way, and happy modding!

Hi

I own a MSR7b and I always wanted to tame the highs very slightly without changing the overall presentation. The use of filter cloth really helps to tame the highs very slightly and add a bit of bass(changes are very small but definitely noticeable). I tried it and noticed the changes. To confirm whether the mod works i searched MSR7b threads but was not abled find any detail regarding the cloth mod.

I was happy to find the information regarding the cloth mod. I just want to add to your point - thickness of the cloth material will result in amount of reduction in highs(changes are very small). Use of tissue paper reduces the air in the highs which msr7's are known for.

Thanks for sharing the useful info on mods. I am eager to try other mods.

May 12, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #2,705 of 2,803
I own the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7. Love the sound. Reviews mentioned they could fit too tight, but they are ok on me. Here's the question: The 3mm jack is nonstandard! The tip appears to be slightly smaller than a standard 3 mm. The cord comes loose easily from my phone--a problem if I'm walking around with music playing. The other problem is other cords should fit, and they don't. I have a better quality cord, 3 mm jack on each end, and it doesn't fit right in these headphones. And, once it's plugged in, only one channel plays. So, the Audio Technica cord is proprietary and a replacement or upgrade might not work. Is this 'normal' for these, or do I have a defective product?

May 12, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #2,706 of 2,803
I own the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7. Love the sound. Reviews mentioned they could fit too tight, but they are ok on me. Here's the question: The 3mm jack is nonstandard! The tip appears to be slightly smaller than a standard 3 mm. The cord comes loose easily from my phone--a problem if I'm walking around with music playing. The other problem is other cords should fit, and they don't. I have a better quality cord, 3 mm jack on each end, and it doesn't fit right in these headphones. And, once it's plugged in, only one channel plays. So, the Audio Technica cord is proprietary and a replacement or upgrade might not work. Is this 'normal' for these, or do I have a defective product?
Technically the 3.5mm jack is standard but recessed. You'll have to find 3.5mm jacks which have a thin upper neck. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B00NO73MUQ/

As long as has that thin neck it will work.

May 31, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #2,707 of 2,803
@Alexandrusniz
The orginal MSR7 has a unique signature so I would say get it when you still can as it is discontinued and personally I think its the closest closed back to the r70x. Sadly with the msr7b they messed with both the bass and trebble and I personally find it worse.If MSR7 is no longer available the DSR7 would be the second best option as it has msr7b tighter but lower sub/midbass bass and the rest of the fr more or less the same as the orginal msr7.

SR9 and m70x are both very bright headphones compared to the msr7 and I would only recommend if you are ok with that. That being said both headphones doesnt really bring out sibilance unlike the DSR9 and HD800, both headphones are a crime against humanity.

WS1100is is kind of a bright headphone, it has a very consumer tuning I think where the midbass and uppermids/lower trebble are boosted but the subbass just dies. Makeing it a pretty V shape can. Not really my thing but if you can get your hands on one to try you may like it. However I would never swap my MSR7 for the WS1100is.

TLDR get the orginal MSR7 or MSR7NC whichever is cheaper.

After owning the MSR7 and the R70x for a long time I find them quite the opposite. MSR7 is analytical with a slight warmness to it, a bit lean on the bass and a bit forward in the highs, with very good soundstage for a closed can. R70x on the other hand has elevated bass, the sound is much warmer and softer, highs are a bit recessed and soundstage is very small for an open can. I just got an AKG K612 recently and found it to be better than my R70x so sold the latter. I find the K612 Pro much closer to the MSR7 though: both are analytical with a bit of warmth and very good resolution, both have tight bass, good midrange, both have an open, airy sound. The differences are: K612 requires a very good, matching amp to show it's true character (MSR7 will be fine from almost anything), K612 has better bass extension and a bit more in quantity while MSR7 has better highs (cleaner with better resolution).

May 31, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #2,708 of 2,803
After owning the MSR7 and the R70x for a long time I find them quite the opposite. MSR7 is analytical with a slight warmness to it, a bit lean on the bass and a bit forward in the highs, with very good soundstage for a closed can. R70x on the other hand has elevated bass, the sound is much warmer and softer, highs are a bit recessed and soundstage is very small for an open can. I just got an AKG K612 recently and found it to be better than my R70x so sold the latter. I find the K612 Pro much closer to the MSR7 though: both are analytical with a bit of warmth and very good resolution, both have tight bass, good midrange, both have an open, airy sound. The differences are: K612 requires a very good, matching amp to show it's true character (MSR7 will be fine from almost anything), K612 has better bass extension and a bit more in quantity while MSR7 has better highs (cleaner with better resolution).
hmm listening to the both of them now both the R70X and MSR7 has very similar bass with the MSR7 having slightly more. What the MSR7 lacks due to its V shape has slightly recesed male vocals while having significantly accented female vocals due to the upper mids bump. Although in no way I would call the MSR7 analytical, fun and detailed yes but not analytical. Analytical is reserved for cans like the adx5000 where everything in the upper half is amplified and is very detailed. The R70X lacks that upper mids bump but in no way is lacking air.

Personally I dont like the K612 due to the trebble not being to my taste. Imo the two of them dont sound alike at all with the K612 having pretty sandy treble while the MSR7 has really smooth treble.

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #2,711 of 2,803
Just got the yaxi pads first thing i though was wow the pads are like half the thickness of stock pads. Sound wise there is a warm sheen with the upper mids bump suppressed. Its still there but not as pressent.

Will keep them on for now. Maybe ill grow to like the sound. Although with the ear closer to the driver more detail and a cleaner soundstage seems to be the result.

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #2,714 of 2,803
It seems that they add some general bass with the mod and make the highs more tame, but at the same time slightly less sub bass and more roll off. They do fit great and feel nice though. I guess I need to listen some more. I was hoping to not have less sub bass.

Jun 19, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #2,715 of 2,803
Halo everyone,my headphones are:sehnnheiser hd599,disapointment,to be sold.,akg k240 disapointment already sold.now:audio technica m40x:AMAZING
And i think some time to buy something even better: choices?:shuresrh440 but i think this would not realy be an upgrade...
So basicaly:either sehnnheiser hd58x,or this beauty,audio technica msr7gm...
Any advice?what do you think would be the best of the two?thanks.
Btw the msr7 i have not seen more beautifull closed backs are they full metal construction?thanks
(Would the msr7 offer better subbas treble mids and most importantly soundstage than the m40x?do they need amp?)
OOOOOOH,ARE THE MSR7GM DISCONTINUED?????????
Only msr7b left in the market?
That is a crime!i hope there are some stock left in amazon uk when i am ready to buy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back