Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Mar 19, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #2,686 of 2,803
For those interested in pad rolling, you can improve bass response with the MSR7b by using Dekoni Sheepskin Earpads. I have several brands, but the Dekoni version seem to have the best reaction in terms of bass response on the MSR7b.
Which version, and how do they affect the other two other frequencies?

Mar 19, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #2,688 of 2,803
Which version, and how do they affect the other two other frequencies?
These are the pads I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYTR4ZF/

Out of the box, I find the MSR7b a little lean for my personal taste. I'm not a "flat signature" kinda guy. I prefer a rich, musical signature.

To me, running out of my xDSD, they don't make them bassy, rather, they give the bass more depth vs. stock.

Mids still sound great, in fact, I perceive a slight depth increase in the lower mids as well.

Highs are largely unchanged and detail retrieval is still excellent, except for the fact there's overall better depth to the entire presentation.

Mar 19, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #2,689 of 2,803
These are the pads I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYTR4ZF/

Out of the box, I find the MSR7b a little lean for my personal taste. I'm not a "flat signature" kinda guy. I prefer a rich, musical signature.

To me, running out of my xDSD, they don't make them bassy, rather, they give the bass more depth vs. stock.

Mids still sound great, in fact, I perceive a slight depth increase in the lower mids as well.

Highs are largely unchanged and detail retrieval is still excellent, except for the fact there's overall better depth to the entire presentation.
They are deeper, correct? I'm using the Dekoni elite hybrids with my 660s, and the overall character has darkened a bit. Would you say something to the same effect regarding your Msr7b and Dekonis? Also, do they fit very good?

Mar 19, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #2,690 of 2,803
They are deeper, correct? I'm using the Dekoni elite hybrids with my 660s, and the overall character has darkened a bit. Would you say something to the same effect regarding your Msr7b and Dekonis? Also, do they fit very good?
They do darken the overall character a bit, however, given they are a somewhat bright headphone to begin with, it gives them a warmish, yet still highly detailed presentation; I would not describe them as dark by any means. I would classify the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless as a dark-ish headphone. I would simply say the earpads give the sound more body.

The fit is comfortable, probably not quite as comfortable as stock, but still very much acceptable. The earcups are deeper though.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #2,691 of 2,803
They do darken the overall character a bit, however, given they are a somewhat bright headphone to begin with, it gives them a warmish, yet still highly detailed presentation; I would not describe them as dark by any means. I would classify the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless as a dark-ish headphone. I would simply say the earpads give the sound more body.

The fit is comfortable, probably not quite as comfortable as stock, but still very much acceptable. The earcups are deeper though.
That actually sounds quite nice. I'm sure comfort is fine, but how is the fitment attachment - pads to cups?

Mar 19, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #2,692 of 2,803
I think so. Definitely detailed and crisp. Much more so than the M40. If you want throbbing bass for your edm, not gonna happen here. Of your genres, I only listen to metal, and think the Msr7b is solid.
I'm not a basshead just I like sound well balanced, just I'm looking a next level headphones compared with that mentioned you before or my amazing jvc fxt100.
Thank you so much, sir

Mar 20, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #2,693 of 2,803
That actually sounds quite nice. I'm sure comfort is fine, but how is the fitment attachment - pads to cups?
The fit is excellent. :slight_smile:
IMG_2472.jpgIMG_2470.jpgIMG_2471.jpg

Apr 3, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #2,695 of 2,803
Good afternoon. I owned the Shure SRH1540 headphones for a week. I listened to them all week and have fun. But why I decided to wear headphones Audio Technica ATH-MSR7? All my impressions of the Shure SRH1540 crumbled to smithereens. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 sent me a knockdown with a left hook. When I used to listen to the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, to be honest I was all arranged. But, as always, I want something new, especially yielding to euphoria after reading the positive reviews of others. So I went in exploration of new experiences from other headphones. Thus, after some search, I settled on Shure SRH1540 headphones. I listened to them for a week and was happy as an elephant. But when I wore headphones Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 they blew my mind. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 is like a dog that hadn't seen the host, and met him with a storm of emotions. Licking, jumping, barking with joy. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 as husky, but the Shure SRH1540 is an English bulldog. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 gave me emotions which I missed with the Shure SRH1540. Not to Shure SRH1540 I was all arranged. It is the best comfort, awesome concert stage, great sounding strings and vocals and of course a powerful subbass. Although to be honest, in some compositions, this subbass began to tire and started to hurt my ears. Well, when I returned to Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, it was returned to me cheerful, emotional middle, which was lacking in the Shure SRH1540. Yes Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 bass is not as powerful aftertaste of subbass as to Shure SRH1540. For Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 he's biting, solid, groovy, articular and growling like a lion. Yes, it is not so powerful and deep, but it is present. For Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 sounds good especially the contrabass, it downright makes my heart beat faster. And of course the piano is amazing. Especially the difference for the better Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 compared to Shure SRH1540 impact in the audition songs: soundtrack Thomas Newman - Green Mile the track That's The Deal, Will Gregory - Serengeti track Elephant Song, and of course John Mellencamp - Paper In Fire. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 and John Mellencamp instinctively forced my feet to move in time to the music and to dance. Yes Shure SRH1540 ideal for long listening to music, head they do not get tired, a little tired of subbas. And if I'm not wearing Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, maybe Shure SRH1540 remained my only headphone for the rest of my life. But the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 made Shure SRH1540 will return back to the store. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 is a traveling circus tent that has arrived in your small town, this is a wish fair that has returned to your childhood, this is St. Patrick's Day, this is the Indian Holi festival of colors, this is the Mardi Gras festival. You can list for a long time who gets the same emotions from Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 for sure I will understand. Now I'm sitting and thinking, will I find the same sounding headphones as the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7? Or from good, do not seek good? Search is ongoing or buy an additional pair of Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7? Please advise sounding headphones like Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7. I am sincerely grateful to everyone.

Apr 6, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #2,696 of 2,803
It's got some character to it for sure, like all great AT cans. Personally if I had money to spend I'd go for a ATH-ESW11, or whatever their new variant is. Odd to say it, but the headband of MSR7 is its weak point, and it becomes a bigger problem when you are considering it for long term portable use. For that reason alone I wouldn't build a system around them. The ESW line fares much better in that regard, their sound is also more amiable to long term listening, warmer, though not as detailed. I actually have an ESW9 and a MSR7, and have considered selling the MSR7 as I was considering downsizing, but wouldn't only because you can't get much for them. I have them purposed for "studio" use, they work well for that. Neither of the two scale all that well, is my impression, spend $200-$400 on a DAC/AMP combo of your choice, or a nice DAP, no real need to go any further.

Have you hear the ESW990H? My local Amazon has them for something close to 300 USD, I like the wooden cups, but I don't like them being on-ear.

Sorry guys a simple question, I own a m40x and dt770 and quite happy with both, would like buy this cans, ws1100is or some other recommendations to use in the subway. Are this Msr7 good enough for metal, metalcore, Hardcore and EDM? I luv detailed and crisp sound
Thanks in advance

I had the 250 ohm version of the DT770, the WS1100is and currently also own a pair of M50x. The MSR7 are my favorite of those, actually I also own a pair of DT1990 (which is the most expensive pair I have) and I think that I have enjoyed more listening to the MSR7. The only issue that I can see with the MSR7 is that is a bit uncomfortable after a while and that the build quality is not great. Both the DT1990 (and probably the DT990) an the MSR7 are too bright for me really enjoy metal. Of all those headphones the M50x has the most bass and the other frequencies are good enough for me. Neither the WS1100is or the DT770 are bad headphones (I like the WS1100is more). If you budget allows it, I would recommend the M70x from Audio Technica. It is better built than the MSR7, way more comfortable and sounds almost as good. Without A/B'ing them, I wouldn´t be able to tell the difference. The M70x are more relaxed, has little less bass, less bright and sounds a bit more distant in the vocals. But still is a lovely pair. I returned my pair after a listening them back to back to the MSR7, but I would love to buy a new pair again.

Good afternoon. I owned the Shure SRH1540 headphones for a week. I listened to them all week and have fun. But why I decided to wear headphones Audio Technica ATH-MSR7? All my impressions of the Shure SRH1540 crumbled to smithereens. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 sent me a knockdown with a left hook. When I used to listen to the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, to be honest I was all arranged. But, as always, I want something new, especially yielding to euphoria after reading the positive reviews of others. So I went in exploration of new experiences from other headphones. Thus, after some search, I settled on Shure SRH1540 headphones. I listened to them for a week and was happy as an elephant. But when I wore headphones Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 they blew my mind. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 is like a dog that hadn't seen the host, and met him with a storm of emotions. Licking, jumping, barking with joy. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 as husky, but the Shure SRH1540 is an English bulldog. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 gave me emotions which I missed with the Shure SRH1540. Not to Shure SRH1540 I was all arranged. It is the best comfort, awesome concert stage, great sounding strings and vocals and of course a powerful subbass. Although to be honest, in some compositions, this subbass began to tire and started to hurt my ears. Well, when I returned to Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, it was returned to me cheerful, emotional middle, which was lacking in the Shure SRH1540. Yes Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 bass is not as powerful aftertaste of subbass as to Shure SRH1540. For Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 he's biting, solid, groovy, articular and growling like a lion. Yes, it is not so powerful and deep, but it is present. For Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 sounds good especially the contrabass, it downright makes my heart beat faster. And of course the piano is amazing. Especially the difference for the better Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 compared to Shure SRH1540 impact in the audition songs: soundtrack Thomas Newman - Green Mile the track That's The Deal, Will Gregory - Serengeti track Elephant Song, and of course John Mellencamp - Paper In Fire. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 and John Mellencamp instinctively forced my feet to move in time to the music and to dance. Yes Shure SRH1540 ideal for long listening to music, head they do not get tired, a little tired of subbas. And if I'm not wearing Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, maybe Shure SRH1540 remained my only headphone for the rest of my life. But the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 made Shure SRH1540 will return back to the store. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 is a traveling circus tent that has arrived in your small town, this is a wish fair that has returned to your childhood, this is St. Patrick's Day, this is the Indian Holi festival of colors, this is the Mardi Gras festival. You can list for a long time who gets the same emotions from Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 for sure I will understand. Now I'm sitting and thinking, will I find the same sounding headphones as the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7? Or from good, do not seek good? Search is ongoing or buy an additional pair of Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7? Please advise sounding headphones like Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7. I am sincerely grateful to everyone.

Your analogy with the dogs and the festivals are a bit weird, but I kinda understand what you mean. By itself. the Shures are good, almost great, nothing to dislike, but once you heard them back to back with the MSR7, the Shures sound very boring, almost dull. I'd said, keep your MSR7, take care of them, maybe buy a raplacement pads when the original wear out. I would also recommend to you the M70x, not as lively as the MSR7, but better than the Shures, and are also super comfortable and well built. I'd said that the M70x bridge the differences regarding sound and construction between the MSR7 and the SRH1540.

Apr 6, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #2,697 of 2,803
Dear Sinquito, many thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, and maybe fortunately, I also tend to think that the MSR7 is the only headphone in its sound. Therefore, you must either purchase new MSR7 headphones or upgrade them. Because over time, the skin peeled off on the ear pads. And when it fell, the right speaker began to sound quieter, or I was deaf in my right ear. By the way, I wrote a letter to the official website of Audio-Technica, and asked which headphones from their assortment are most suitable for MSR7 sound. They recommended the msr7b model with balanced connection. But unfortunately when listening to this model I was disappointed. Treble is pushed forward very much (The Hooters - 500 Miles song seemed like hell), but the main thing was that same solid and growling bass. The only plus of msr7b is a soft fit that does not crush your head, and a wider scene. In other reviews, many call a similar model ATH-SR9 with MSR7. But again, the ATH-SR9 says brighter high frequencies, but the mid frequencies are slightly retracted. But the main thing is that the ATH-SR9 has the same whacky bass as the MSR7. Dear Sinquito, tell me, but is the M70x model you proposed less bright than the MSR7? Because on some reviews about the M70x they write that it is more suitable for professional musicians working in the studio. I also apologize for the importunity, maybe someone heard about the ATH-WS1100iS model. They say this model is similar to the MSR7, only very bass. It is a pity by the way, the ATH-MSR7SE model was discontinued. It would be a good addition to MSR7. Once again I express my gratitude to you dear Sinquito, for your responsiveness. Regards to you, Alexander.

Apr 6, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #2,698 of 2,803
@Alexandrusniz
The orginal MSR7 has a unique signature so I would say get it when you still can as it is discontinued and personally I think its the closest closed back to the r70x. Sadly with the msr7b they messed with both the bass and trebble and I personally find it worse.If MSR7 is no longer available the DSR7 would be the second best option as it has msr7b tighter but lower sub/midbass bass and the rest of the fr more or less the same as the orginal msr7.

SR9 and m70x are both very bright headphones compared to the msr7 and I would only recommend if you are ok with that. That being said both headphones doesnt really bring out sibilance unlike the DSR9 and HD800, both headphones are a crime against humanity.

WS1100is is kind of a bright headphone, it has a very consumer tuning I think where the midbass and uppermids/lower trebble are boosted but the subbass just dies. Makeing it a pretty V shape can. Not really my thing but if you can get your hands on one to try you may like it. However I would never swap my MSR7 for the WS1100is.

TLDR get the orginal MSR7 or MSR7NC whichever is cheaper.

Apr 6, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #2,699 of 2,803
Thank you so much dear llysender for your advice. And unfortunately, I just learned from you that the MSR7 was discontinued. Very sorry. Yes, I saw that in almost all stores they sell only MSR7b. Two or three stores still have MSR7. Perhaps we urgently need to take MSR7. Once again, I apologize for my importunity. As I understand it, the SR9 is very sharp at high frequencies. Does this look like MSR7b? And SR9 is not worth the big money requested for them?

Apr 6, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #2,700 of 2,803
Thank you so much dear llysender for your advice. And unfortunately, I just learned from you that the MSR7 was discontinued. Very sorry. Yes, I saw that in almost all stores they sell only MSR7b. Two or three stores still have MSR7. Perhaps we urgently need to take MSR7. Once again, I apologize for my importunity. As I understand it, the SR9 is very sharp at high frequencies. Does this look like MSR7b? And SR9 is not worth the big money requested for them?
In my opinion no. If you are spending so much money on a closed back I would rather get the ath-a2000z. M70x is pretty nice for a bright headphone that has lots of detail and nice sound signature but doesnt hurt my ears. However it lacks the imaging that the SR9 provides. However seeing as how you dont like the MSR7B treble I dont think either headphone is for you.

So yes get the original MSR7 if you have the money to do so. The DSR7 is still in production and is another option but you will be limited by the inbuilt dac/amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back