Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Apr 4, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #2,386 of 2,803
Hi Blinxat,

Depends on your personal preference & how good a quality source you have, both are good, both scale very well with good amplification though not altogether necessary.
The SR 9, at least to my ears, does have some better staging to some degree though how large will depend on you.
In closing, recommmend a demo.

Apr 7, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #2,390 of 2,803
Thanks. That’s where I saw the response that caused me to question the eBay Ad.
Was not aware that you have seen it already. Having said that, interesting question, since some ( a good deal ? ) of the players at the market have the balanced output.
The replies seem to be unequivocal in saying no, I wonder if there would be any point in cable with unbalanced input in the headphone, and balanced output jack at the end of the cable going into the player. Or whether it matters at all, and this cable you have linked to can be used anyway, or definitely not.

I do have an interesting cable at home, it is balanced version, terminated of the other end with female 3.5mm jack, so I wonder if that could work with MSR7. The thing is that I do not have any balanced audio player, so not able to check.

I am really in the dark here, never needed the balanced 3.5mm version, so it would be cool if someone in the know would appear here...

Apr 7, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #2,391 of 2,803
Well, I was wondering the same thing a few days ago. What would happen if we connected a non balanced headphone, like the MSR7, to a balanced output with an adapter? My guess would be that you'd actually get more power from the amp, since that would be running in balanced, but that would be it. No added channel separation or any other benefit associated with running a headphone balanced. More power is better, though, so meh. If no one tests that, I may in the rather near future get a Fiio Q5. If I do, I'll also get a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm unbalanced adapter and see how it goes.

Apr 9, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #2,393 of 2,803
Well, to add to the confusion:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM...TH-MSR7-MSR-7-Headphones-new/32800588876.html

It would be best to actually ask Audio Technica's customers service or techs this very question.
Why does that confuse you? That cable is actually a normal 4-pole 3.5mm jack that also carries a mic signal, much like one of the 3 cables that AT provides with the MSR7. That doesn't mean it's balanced, the 4th contact on the jack isn't another ground point for one of the channels. :)

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #2,394 of 2,803
Have been listening to the MSR7SE for the past week. While I still would not call them large sounding, they sound bigger on my motherboard audio, than on the galaxy s8, a little wider, and adds height. (which is a strongpoint of this headphone IMO, the height of the stage, but depth and width could be better). Can't fault them on anything in terms of tonality, voices and instruments seem spot on. Balance is very good, reminds me of K267 and Focal Spirit Pro, where nothing feels colored.

They do seem to have a slight peak at maybe 8khz? Something I noticed also is that the bass lacks the last bit of texture and extension in the subbass. It is unable to resolve the bass like the DT770 can, but the treble is much better seperated than on DT770, which sometimes seems bright, just for the sake of being bright, but unable to distinguish the gaps. The MSR7SE doesn't seem to have too much air above 12khz though. (I think I read on a jap blog that the SR9 has more above 10khz, but need to demo, if I ever find them).

Could be placebo, but the included extra 6N cable seems to make it a little smoother.

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #2,395 of 2,803
Have been listening to the MSR7SE for the past week. While I still would not call them large sounding, they sound bigger on my motherboard audio, than on the galaxy s8, a little wider, and adds height. (which is a strongpoint of this headphone IMO, the height of the stage, but depth and width could be better). Can't fault them on anything in terms of tonality, voices and instruments seem spot on. Balance is very good, reminds me of K267 and Focal Spirit Pro, where nothing feels colored.

They do seem to have a slight peak at maybe 8khz? Something I noticed also is that the bass lacks the last bit of texture and extension in the subbass. It is unable to resolve the bass like the DT770 can, but the treble is much better seperated than on DT770, which sometimes seems bright, just for the sake of being bright, but unable to distinguish the gaps. The MSR7SE doesn't seem to have too much air above 12khz though. (I think I read on a jap blog that the SR9 has more above 10khz, but need to demo, if I ever find them).

Could be placebo, but the included extra 6N cable seems to make it a little smoother.
Yup, you just described the MSR7. The SE just sounds a bit fuller and warmer than the original, but that seems to be it. Do yourself a favor and upgrade your gear. No matter how good, phone and PC onboard audio can't hold a candle to even a basic DAC/amp like the Fiio Q1 I have, and my PC has pretty good onboard audio (I mean, apart from some issues at high CPU loads, that thing is by far the best thing I've heard come out of a PC, but it still is nowhere near the Fiio, let alone anything better than that). Not only will it make a difference with any other headphone you may have or get down the road, but also with the MSR7. Don't let them fool you with how easy they are to drive (I mean, they can get loud even if you plug them in your nostrils - trying to keep it proper here, but you get where I was going with this), they scale really well with better equipment. I heard them plugged in an iFi iDSD Micro Black Label a few months ago and OOOOHHHHHH YES. Soundstage increased a bit in width (can't really bring myself to care for the verticality of it and the front-to-back aspect of it was unchanged), but detail retrieval got even better, bass became tighter and it sounded even more airy and alive. Nothing was missing. The Q1 makes them sound great, but like 90-95% great. Onboard would be at 75% for me with my OnePlus 3 failing miserably, like not even 50%.

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #2,397 of 2,803
I was eyeing the SMSL M6, seems good for a reasonable price.

Plenty of good options at that price point. From what I remember from Zeos' video, the M6 is a solid choice. Now, these may vary by where you live, but other good choices are the Schiit Magni 3+Modi 2 stack, Micca Origen G2 (or +, whatever's newer), the Aune X1s when it drops again on Massdrop (better than all the previous ones, but more expensive outside Massdrop), the Audioengine D1... That's what I have in my head right now. Or, depending on what you are eyeing next, you can also go portable. Can't go wrong with the Fiio Q1 Mk2 or a host of other similar DAC/amp combos. Really, the sky's the limit here.

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #2,398 of 2,803
Hello everyone!

I have a question to anyone who may have the MSR7 and a pair of HM5 pads. Still waiting for mine so I cannot yet test for myself, and won't be able to for a good couple of weeks still, as I bought them on Massdrop.

So, has anyone tried putting the pads on the cups not in the groove that's between the driver baffle and the cup, but rather over the groove and onto the cup itself? I hope I'm making sense. I saw a lot of people doing that to T50rp Mk3s so that they get a better seal and it actually improves the bass response. I don't think the MSR7 have ports there like the T50rp, but air could still be escaping and it may be worth a try.

What I would also like to experiment with is filling the back portion of the cup with something like cotton in the hopes that it somewhat dampens the treble and accentuantes the bass. They don't need anything like that stock, but with the added distance to the driver when using the larger pads it may prove beneficial. Then there's ModHifi's suggestions about putting medical tape or that Vlieseline fleece between the driver and the pad, but that's another thing and I suspect that it only tames the treble and doesn't let it drown out the bass rather than improving the bass response per se. And finally, I can also try EQ'ing, but that's more of a final solution and would lead me to my initial use case for HM5 pads, which would be movie watching or long gaming sessions rather than listening to music.

Speaking of EQ, I've been playing around with that too, and man can the MSR7 take EQ'ing well. I mean, I can't know if it actually affects the longevity of the driver or anything, but they really can take some extreme abuse. I thought the Q1's built-in bass boost (which is a +5dB shelf below 200 or 250Hz) was pushing it, but a few days ago I was happily pushing over +10dB in the same range no problem. The MSR7 turned into bass cannons and didnd't break a sweat. Minimal bleed into the midrange and the treble wasn't compromised almost at all. Also, no rattling, which I found surprising given how much the driver was moving. I could feel the bass kick on my shoulders at some points. Completely different headphones that way!

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #2,399 of 2,803
Just wow. The nornal one already looks great to me, but this.

Has anyone here bought the MSR7NC? I’m not too happy with my Bose QC15 so I gave it away. Was going to buy the Sony 1000X before I hear it got build problems.

So how does the Nc version sound? Is it too different from the normal version? How bad is the clamp force?

On the positive side, the noise cancelling doesn't degrade the sound quality whatsoever as far as I can tell. On the negative side, the noise cancelling doesn't do much of anything at all. It isn't nearly as effective as either the Bose or Sony. The fit can be a bit tight straight out of the box, but now that they are broken in a bit I don't find the clamping force uncomfortable. . I quite like the headphones but I wouldn't by them for the noise cancelling.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #2,400 of 2,803
Just bought B&W but will return them due to floor noise and internal DAC on AUX. What do you of replacing it with MRS7 or MRS7SE (I know that they are wired)? I'm going to listen them 50% in office (small DAC), 25% commute (iPhone 6S), 25% home with Cambride Audio DAC Magic Plus and PC. The main concern I have now is that they allow quite a lot of office noise inside comparing with PX even with ANC off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back