Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Mar 28, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #2,372 of 2,803
2vwbjeo.jpg

Special Edition arrived today. I have not owned the normal one for a long time. Judging from memory they were slightly foward in the upper vocal range, with the bass just a touch behind it.

These Special edition sound a little fuller, the vocals are still the center thing, but sound less hard. These do not have any sizzly roughness in their treble texture at all, which many audio-technica cans tend to have. (but I like the sparkle to be honest). These are not like that in my opinion, they have very good treble detail but they remain unconventionally smooth for an AT can.

The really striking thing for me about this headphone is, you can crank it up and it remains its treble composure very well. Seperation seems very good and it always remains clear and articulate. It doesn't have a deep image though, and the soundstage is rather focused. It just plays vocals center focus with high clarity and everything else left and right.

I think their signature is very good for on the go. I would say they have very good balance (especially at every volume level) which is odd for me.

I would conclude they are refined, BUT a touch warm and inviting in the bass. (If you are coming from large closed cans or certainly open headphones, you will find these to be a little thick in the bass). I think people who like the bio driver sound from some fostex headphones will like the MSR7SE. They sound more organic than the regular MSR7 (from memory).

I am currently using the DT770 a lot, which has a brighter background, but is unable to turn that into higher resolution, the MSR7SE is a bit better in treble resolution, but it just doesn't have the open soundstage of the DT770. BUT it is of course a smaller headphone.

Last but not least it feels great, and looks sexy IMO. Turning the cups seems to have more resistance and is smoother than the original.

Mar 28, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #2,373 of 2,803
2vwbjeo.jpg

Special Edition arrived today. I have not owned the normal one for a long time. Judging from memory they were slightly foward in the upper vocal range, with the bass just a touch behind it.

These Special edition sound a little fuller, the vocals are still the center thing, but sound less hard. These do not have any sizzly roughness in their treble texture at all, which many audio-technica cans tend to have. (but I like the sparkle to be honest). These are not like that in my opinion, they have very good treble detail but they remain unconventionally smooth for an AT can.

The really striking thing for me about this headphone is, you can crank it up and it remains its treble composure very well. Seperation seems very good and it always remains clear and articulate. It doesn't have a deep image though, and the soundstage is rather focused. It just plays vocals center focus with high clarity and everything else left and right.

I think their signature is very good for on the go. I would say they have very good balance (especially at every volume level) which is odd for me.

I would conclude they are refined, BUT a touch warm and inviting in the bass. (If you are coming from large closed cans or certainly open headphones, you will find these to be a little thick in the bass). I think people who like the bio driver sound from some fostex headphones will like the MSR7SE. They sound more organic than the regular MSR7 (from memory).

I am currently using the DT770 a lot, which has a brighter background, but is unable to turn that into higher resolution, the MSR7SE is a bit better in treble resolution, but it just doesn't have the open soundstage of the DT770. BUT it is of course a smaller headphone.

Last but not least it feels great, and looks sexy IMO. Turning the cups seems to have more resistance and is smoother than the original.
Just wow. The nornal one already looks great to me, but this.

Has anyone here bought the MSR7NC? I’m not too happy with my Bose QC15 so I gave it away. Was going to buy the Sony 1000X before I hear it got build problems.

So how does the Nc version sound? Is it too different from the normal version? How bad is the clamp force?

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #2,374 of 2,803
2vwbjeo.jpg

As I'm quite sure they haven't made any changes to the driver itself, I'm curious to know what it is that they did to improve upon the original's sound with the SE. Is it the cable (I doubt it)? Is it anything within the cup? Or maybe it's indeed driver tuning, I dunno. Would you mind just taking them apart to take a look inside and post here? I mean, you know, just take the pad off, undo the screws, expose the driver and take a few photos of the whole thing. Also maybe try with a different cable and see if anything changes. Would be great if we could reproduce that warmer, fuller sound on the original MSR7, because I sure as hell ain't buying another pair of basically the same headphone.

Thanks a bunch for posting your mini review mate!

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #2,375 of 2,803
As I'm quite sure they haven't made any changes to the driver itself

Yes they have. It uses the driver coating from the SR9.

These are the improvements:

• Diamond-like carbon (DLC) diaphragm coating offers increased rigidity and improves high-range capability
  • Ultra-soft earpads provide long wearing comfort and improved isolation
  • Includes high-purity 6N-OFC copper wire cable and semi-hard carrying case

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #2,376 of 2,803
Yes they have. It uses the driver coating from the SR9.

These are the improvements:

• Diamond-like carbon (DLC) diaphragm coating offers increased rigidity and improves high-range capability
  • Ultra-soft earpads provide long wearing comfort and improved isolation
  • Includes high-purity 6N-OFC copper wire cable and semi-hard carrying case
Aha! I might have missed that. :triportsad:

Still, I have my doubts that it was that that caused the increase in bass. As I remember reading, the SR9 has a sound signature pretty similar to the MSR7.

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #2,377 of 2,803
Aha! I might have missed that. :triportsad:

Still, I have my doubts that it was that that caused the increase in bass. As I remember reading, the SR9 has a sound signature pretty similar to the MSR7.

I have both MSR7 and MSR7SE. The main improvement to the sound with the SE version is that it is more organic, less metallic sounding. Edges to the sound are not as hard/sharp and it doesn't sound as lean as the regular MSR7.

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #2,378 of 2,803

Actually, each and every of those changes can easily affect the sound signature; pads by themselves for instance have been talked about (various makes, such as Brainwavz and others) extensively in this and other threads, how they affect sound signature, etc.
One can experiment with pads as much as it would be wanted; cable can be swapped, I guess; but the question remains how the diaphragm and some other, possibly unnoticed changes (tuning of the driver, if it has been done, etc.) do affect the sound.
To me, the original ATH-MSR7 is great can by itself and hardly needs any improvement, if one already likes it. I found that the amplification and source material does do more than people often realize, or bother to mention.

The classic remark for MSR7 - "lean and metallic sounding" - well, yes, with the lesser source and lesser amp. Not with what I have heard at home while using them.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #2,379 of 2,803
The classic remark for MSR7 - "lean and metallic sounding" - well, yes, with the lesser source and lesser amp. Not with what I have heard at home while using them.
They sound good as is, this is nit picking on my part.
I'd be genuinely interested in knowing what amp you are using to drive them.
If you like the sound signature and have a well matching setup they can sound really good I think.

Mar 29, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #2,380 of 2,803
Actually, each and every of those changes can easily affect the sound signature; pads by themselves for instance have been talked about (various makes, such as Brainwavz and others) extensively in this and other threads, how they affect sound signature, etc.
One can experiment with pads as much as it would be wanted; cable can be swapped, I guess; but the question remains how the diaphragm and some other, possibly unnoticed changes (tuning of the driver, if it has been done, etc.) do affect the sound.
To me, the original ATH-MSR7 is great can by itself and hardly needs any improvement, if one already likes it. I found that the amplification and source material does do more than people often realize, or bother to mention.

Well, I never said I don't like the MSR7. As Magol said above, it's nitpicking at this point. I love these cans, I really do. Best I have had. Still, I'd like a bit fuller sound, maybe a bit more bass and warmth. It's not like I've heard anything in my life and said "oh, that's it". Most cans/IEMs that don't have the same characteristics as the MSR7 that make me say the above are either too dark, too boomy, lack detail, lack liveliness and generally lack. I'm just asking 'cause I think the changes made with the SE would make the MSR7 damn near perfect for my closed can needs.

Again, as Magol asked too, what amp/dac are you using to drive them? Them being portable and all, I'm using a Fiio Q1. I do want to upgrade, but as my life is gonna take me to many places in the following 2-3 years, I doubt I can seriously invest in a desk setup. Maybe a small one would do, but still would be problematic, so I'm eyeing something like the Fiio Q5 or even later on an iFi iDSD Micro Black (can't go wrong with 4W). The Q5 has all the DAC I would need in the immediate future, has enough power as is, can be upgraded with an AM5 module for even more power and has all the bells and whistles I'd ask of a desk setup, so that's probably what I'll be buying. Unless something else catches my eye. So yeah, you got me curious. What are you using with the MSR7?

Finally, I gave in and ordered a pair of HM5 pads. I know they are supposed to affect the sound in a bad way, but I'm still gonna try them. I'm gonna try to mod the whole thing with foam between the pad and the driver and whatever else I can find (Discussed it here with ModHifi, so props to him) in case I can make it work. If I can't, I'm just gonna keep the HM5s for any future cans I may buy, or even use them with the MSR7 when gaming for longer periods or when watching movies. I may also buy the pads from the AT WS1100i. They seem shallow and "small" enough, so they don't drastically differ from the stock MSR7 pads, but they do seem more plush and better shaped. Might also help the sound, I dunno. They're like 15€ on ebay, so can't go wrong I guess. Plus, the stock pads are gonna need replacing at some point and I'm not selling the MSR7 any time soon.

Mar 29, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #2,381 of 2,803
They sound good as is, this is nit picking on my part.
I'd be genuinely interested in knowing what amp you are using to drive them.
If you like the sound signature and have a well matching setup they can sound really good I think.

Sorry guys, have been on the run, so managed to sit down now...

Not a problem, all of us have our own perception of the sound, different references, different preferences...

To me, even of the MacBook Pro Retina itself (late 2015-2016.) they sound really good, again, with the right source material (lets say 192-320 kbps, 44-48khz .m4a or .mp4, well mastered to begin with) - not to mention uncompressed material - they reveal what the source gives. They can dig really deep down in lower frequencies when "called upon", and that response, again, varies a lot depending on both source material, but even amplification. This in regard to them sounding to some (many ?) ears lean - on some well mastered tracks I found that I absolutely would not want to have more bass from the can than what MSR7 provides.

Of the MacBook Pro, I have also used two USB DACs, both are well known entities, Audioengine D3 and AudioQuest Dragonfly Red. Both of these are good; I prefer the Audioengine D3 due to both its' sound signature (in general, not solely because of the (albeit) good) synergy with ATH-MSR7) and higher output (than the Dragonfly).

My old (now sold) solid state headphone amp did not sound good (bass control) with the MSR7, since it was never optimized for the low impedance cans.

I had a brief listen, just for fun, with Quad Pa One (all-tube) headphone amp / dac, and the sound, to my memory was again excellent, but in a different league from any lesser amplification.
I use this amp with my (larger) headphones for home use, so I was not doing any extensive listening sessions with MSR7 with this desktop amp.

I understand that both of you are, as you have said, "nitpicking" a bit, and that's understandable, normal, and part of what we all do, to some extend - and part of the reason we are here.
But I would also use the opportunity to mind you that you should then try out different DACs - amps - and feel for yourself how is the synergy with these two MSR7 iterations.

There are amps - dacs that would complement the original MSR7 better, and there are other sources and amps/dacs that would complement "fuller" sounding MSR7SE; this can certainly be a good reminder for anyone budget conscious.

It would be really interesting to hear the MSR7SE, even if I am more than happy with the MSR7 GM. I believe that Audio Technica have addressed some of the criticism and customer feedback for the original MSR7 with the SE edition, introduced some serious changes and succeeded well, and that is really the way it should be. The feedback from us - consumers - is very valuable for the audio companies, in this regards.

Mar 29, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #2,382 of 2,803
Finally, I gave in and ordered a pair of HM5 pads. I know they are supposed to affect the sound in a bad way, but I'm still gonna try them. I'm gonna try to mod the whole thing with foam between the pad and the driver and whatever else I can find (Discussed it here with ModHifi, so props to him) in case I can make it work. If I can't, I'm just gonna keep the HM5s for any future cans I may buy, or even use them with the MSR7 when gaming for longer periods or when watching movies. I may also buy the pads from the AT WS1100i. They seem shallow and "small" enough, so they don't drastically differ from the stock MSR7 pads, but they do seem more plush and better shaped. Might also help the sound, I dunno. They're like 15€ on ebay, so can't go wrong I guess. Plus, the stock pads are gonna need replacing at some point and I'm not selling the MSR7 any time soon.

Absolutely worth trying, and experimenting, since the pads on most over ear headphones reportedly do change the sound signature. It might in some cases be just enough of a change to com the that sweet spot one looks for.

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #2,383 of 2,803
I have these headphones arriving as part of a deal on aliexpress with a fiio x5iii. Are they any good? Do i need to change pads etc?

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #2,384 of 2,803
I have these headphones arriving as part of a deal on aliexpress with a fiio x5iii. Are they any good? Do i need to change pads etc?

I like the msr7, its my in office headphone at the moment, not so good for walking with though as it is a bit "creaky".

No need to change anything, but I did bend the headband a little bit (its metal inside, so difficult to break) to get it to fit more comfortably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back