Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jan 4, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #2,341 of 2,803
About a year ago I scored a pair of MSR7's on an Amazon Warehouse deal, I paid about 100 USD for them. Fantastic value.
The MSR7's had a sound signature that completely floored me, they were "alive" in a way I hadn't heard before. I attribute this to their outstanding clarity and energetic sound.

However.. I was missing something in the bass and sometimes they would sound a bit thin. But I didn't want to loose their otherwise incredible sound signature. What to do? I began experimenting with EQ (True-Fi is awesome btw) and was somewhat happier. Then along came the MSR7SE. So, come Christmas I finally caved and bought myself a pair.

These are my impressions so far, when compared to the MSR7's.

The newer model is more natural sounding, it has a fuller sound compared to the MSR7's. This is mainly because of a better bass response. I find the special edition to go deeper and have better control over the bass frequencies. There's more texture to the lower bass and it is more precise in the rendition of bass notes. The special edition has a bit more warmth that I think was lacking from the older model.

The treble is also slightly improved. I find it to be just a bit smoother compared to the MSR7. They retain the clarity and detail from the MSR7's, but never sound harsh or shrill to my ears.

Overall the special edition sound more organic and natural than the somewhat colder and sometimes more metallic sounding MSR7.

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #2,343 of 2,803
I read about it, but SE costs about 160 euros more, so......:triportsad:

Yeah, the price difference makes it a hard pill to swallow. I'd say the regular MSR7's offer better value and is still a very good sounding headphone. The SE is just a slight tweak of the soundsignature, the differences are not dramatic.

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #2,344 of 2,803
I read about it, but SE costs about 160 euros more, so......:triportsad:

Not only that, but the color scheme is to my eyes far less attractive than GM ATH-MSR7, which is really, to me, very handsome looking can.
They had to, of course, differentiate the new model even colorwise, still, to me, nowhere close to the GM.

Even with the tweaks of the sound signature, a bit difficult to justify the price difference, having in mind what Magol79 just stated in his post.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #2,345 of 2,803
Are the SE’s available in the states?

Steve

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #2,346 of 2,803
Wow... I'm agree gunmetal + black looks better

EDIT: I'm not pro image editor
tongue.gif

What? Why so expensive?
eek.gif
In my country, LTD only more expensive 10-11 USD than standard edition

I actually replaced the leatherwork on it and it looks amazing.
shSd3oozQMdieMgGpDwuZZjcnjGYb2F3-s348Hdlkq5uFm7ACWq6jwxGJ2W1inie8PfwDuLJ3bJ69lGBE0cQXOeWHvQa_ferxjPSwnQ5gT0vqakkBGb0N115B6V5UWFDGToZsqNm_sUqzCCffEQa46CWML3KySyLOCNM5lYKfTOh98NDPgO9yeoxAh6EU4yFEO9SyzoXmjbMAqJt52XvusC3aOOUB63aHPe3g0FvCHfbkjsJysztSQIoihtau86JVBVCmUqQJtRteclBrFeOB_LokFaNm_y7STljV2znNiaXsWvkQFmlZdzLv9sFlep0alcuNsj3Mai3AHANsiPI5wb73ioD6DKilm4AZtUaIXfoe3iXSSg_1y9kWxyT4qk9FwPK2UOoRKWzDTT0G2iIIKHisAQ4-sLPKmB4ueQVP82ny-RFrxRRmaSzsbePHe87CC6c28Vhkx6WxgJQ05wHiOsrsa1IjC9TLrUzQQJ52zAhP6o-vG8xuB2XQ-bdAUl9DwSciDsDGBg5h9avAV_H4zeEleOD3iA3otSWDvr8N2x2h8nUBx3TjwWBaI7-7WHqrwZvUGZjMHonE4dBFX-iGwC3v31YS_BAcBdeAHJ1=w1746-h1309-no

5KPwpDJCUA4f8ZavWzcgEZLgQUbAXAkywcGfZTEPqdtHfFkURhJxKCQUej0rTlrEpZgTWoVYSKVp7ZvgrzNLCWC9sEFI6_SQjvv1AzfbZMVGLJfeJnq3htP-FkyMSaaVakagWzi8AUv8ecrxcP1pVGIaabGYf2Nghk8prE4XvJDFja_pqxOA_dhsqY_ucoDbRqX41g4t6qWP2ZVQtuXp7aSuB5ag2jSyIlafiOnt_ceNqCEUyQ5t_bZ75oYWP_cdM1CbHNUCuYGawEBPsDVOmdl7SYEbihXuYVuZQ6Rd6uKNu9lq09ow6hLUhcQj2Y8tsEPClJ2SbFF3IOm4qWwttsLIaxhDbiLuGYFxg6SGCu2POYMv3_gxHClxzqWlrSKD-MFWUg1SzC6Oll4paTC8UUK5n7IxypN4nmY1jYjG04yQnumzsFFsdiE0NphPghCDIqKXnWa640bnYbe4VaRSGJ5Upe4nRZHX1j-TDRFE4Y5rTtAoWN9k0DCW_GfEA8UsuqsUUWeByrAy1yn1ODMFfrT5mwAyE1Ik4iBZYwaX0CCiA6uxxLO6xgjgs6t2WZxGr9dmIFFUfJsxAx0tJwteIr8rHjJifZTL-aPq8Oyp=w982-h1309-no

4IAZoZKkluCMz8Jjvkvt3Wg2JqE4NDrOxQhF4j1vzQag6dTA13X9QcD23rjZYvF1KAfghy2DaxrZQ2YOKT0CaS9oqH926UTJr5Qv0niLhgMJb-TtDY__-fSa2wGwOtF1ewgBQkt1EsEW7sR6RAoOn3r1wlU_nN9aVGlthk7gSp900Z7HPTlItd3D3fvosonvqqnbKYO21VsC76-24WP93sA3Gm4w9Ro2CQZUtx6sSlE4sfWpiYRyS-uFBqBn3yFJcGq-JcvflGoh5qllhg924qXWd_94-HzbDhmotl6iGob9l_LrV-IMwaCRHR0LvVzHlMznDe8TlPv2Z0WB-nkR3MMviHjqIsXxuCC9ScJmwpkfj5G6cbJD1u0ortncE9SCghn1TzSCoEwVbuRDPsIBwoc1hyV8lVrRIH6I8OwyR0G9yMAUG7rDcfiZukIAxxtJVb1eRlHkpW3PO9cbvrk3YSkfFke4hSt7BZEB97iQxblw7-EId41aUjcEP7b4uN4p4RekqkKli7ItcFnx30QEhwqjlHUg2N95-He1_NuhLg-8XUAhtEbEj7nXg1DTfWJfPgizCoM0rvrJxgttVRXUajLyh3XSSEv7L6Dudx4o=w982-h1309-no

43waY09dB0_bhFI4eIHgf-DbeWQTUk2553_ERtBmspIF1myLoUYkWGiho5mSKQa3TfYDXIgkW-6FN3jyl3G7jMpJHdb8QJgE5S7V1PYwSKzxwxJpdTt2yHS71vJP0Kqhussqg_Fhd6473Igx-RVT2GHdDYABHKplP0wZHAarvCgcUVdgCzdlcpPjndAQBAv_H9gwgogYZMqU_febUKsRyChCU7FjHC0H67Mo_E9BCkPc3U2zZLgkCmm4eaIobKxJHdk9j4iSbodbZ9jTQ7BKYNVCQwxRScJ1Gi7_ayhNtnO1mBkgrEnzvYJNLpLtA878ZL5X_Bi9ui9ZkalfZZ_jE8BVjvFwV5Bn_QRVSRxTKQh1VtiFP4Zrw-sVx0fWN6yUmPxyuH5Jb9XmScZFilWfMy78kJjyZyxO3FOHjhbn6MwQDq3BjD4DZxc1gHL3gNGR0zC0oHpAA4tIBAGVJlGW8cNvYNQip0HrennRA3DNFyzRIKUK6zmxFtrW7fuAyDILMSntDfgqGuBauSwlDxbVDKLoyMDdVz64k7JP8h6McPhXMDeG7M0FjMZcmU3uYLWZzBOR6jyd1x1L35rcspS2cOB324POSkFRhL8IMs8w=w982-h1309-no

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #2,347 of 2,803
Hi all, I recently bought the MSR7. I'm more of an open cans listener, so I'm still feeling around the closed-back market. I'm enjoying the MRS7s - still trying to adjust them so that the caliper pressure is not annoying.

sorry if this has been addressed already in this thread, but I have a comment/question about the cable... when using the mic/remote cable and plugging it into my iPad (running latest iOS), there is always a series of clicks (3 or 4).

It doesn't happen with the non-mic cable. I assume it is a compatibility issue (though I haven't tried using the mic/remote yet). I'm just curious if anyone has pinpointed the issue.

Cheers,

Jan 8, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #2,348 of 2,803
Hi all, I recently bought the MSR7. I'm more of an open cans listener, so I'm still feeling around the closed-back market. I'm enjoying the MRS7s - still trying to adjust them so that the caliper pressure is not annoying.

sorry if this has been addressed already in this thread, but I have a comment/question about the cable... when using the mic/remote cable and plugging it into my iPad (running latest iOS), there is always a series of clicks (3 or 4).

It doesn't happen with the non-mic cable. I assume it is a compatibility issue (though I haven't tried using the mic/remote yet). I'm just curious if anyone has pinpointed the issue.

Cheers,

I have not used my iPod in a while but from memory I have no issues with the inline mic cable. I will try it agian after work today.

Jan 21, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #2,350 of 2,803
Just wanted to chime in.

Installed the Dekoni Audio Elite Sheepskin Ear Pads on my pair of MSR7s and absolutely love how it feels and sounds.

I tried ZMF Cowhides and could never get them to feel and sound right. To me it sounded like the cowhides elevated the treble and upper midrange to much and the sound got fatiguing.

The Dekoni's are just so soft and they bring up the midrange a bit but keep the sparkly treble.

I normally just use my MSR7s for gaming (with a vmoda boom pro) but now I'm sitting here listening to all my music. :)

Jan 21, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #2,351 of 2,803
A friend of mine works for AT and can get me a pair of MSR7's, new for $83, the SR9's for $195. I prefer a headphone with a sound signature similar to my Beyer DT-990's but for these prices I'm tempted to pick a pair of the MSR7's, or possibly the SR9's, up. I absolutely love a sparkling, extended high end, but I also like a nice healthy bass, but I'm after quality, I'm no basshead. It's sounds like these things deliver on the high end but lack a little on the low end. I wish there was more info out there on how the sr9's sound but I have to assume they are a more refined msr7.

Steve

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #2,352 of 2,803
A friend of mine works for AT and can get me a pair of MSR7's, new for $83, the SR9's for $195. I prefer a headphone with a sound signature similar to my Beyer DT-990's but for these prices I'm tempted to pick a pair of the MSR7's, or possibly the SR9's, up. I absolutely love a sparkling, extended high end, but I also like a nice healthy bass, but I'm after quality, I'm no basshead. It's sounds like these things deliver on the high end but lack a little on the low end. I wish there was more info out there on how the sr9's sound but I have to assume they are a more refined msr7.

Steve

With the decent quality modern recording, where the bass is present and called upon, these (MSR7) do not lack the bass at all. That - the lack of bass, is in my experience, one of the most common misconceptions about MSR7. While some reviewers (Tyll Hertsens) did note that they are a tad bass light (only a tad), the others have pointed out that these are slightly V-shaped (which is contrary to the bass light) - so, let your ears be the judge - do not listen to anyone else but try to listen to both and compare what sound signature is more to your liking, and whether it justifies the price difference, if the price is the subject.

I like the depth, as well as the texture and definition in the bass, I do not like the tinny or bass-light headphones, and to my ears, and with the variety of the source material - that was (no bass) not my impression at all with MSR7; listening to even good quality (bit and sample rate) mp3 recordings of the radio broadcasts on the web, I couldn't wish for more bass. I have never heard SR9.

You can form the best judgment by giving them both a demo, and compare them directly, if they are available anywhere.
Also, again from my experience, MSR7 sound better and better after some time (yes, the infamous burn-in - be it for real or as a psychoacustic placebo).

Jan 21, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #2,353 of 2,803
With the decent quality modern recording, where the bass is present and called upon, these (MSR7) do not lack the bass at all. That - the lack of bass, is in my experience, one of the most common misconceptions about MSR7. While some reviewers (Tyll Hertsens) did note that they are a tad bass light (only a tad), the others have pointed out that these are slightly V-shaped (which is contrary to the bass light) - so, let your ears be the judge - do not listen to anyone else but try to listen to both and compare what sound signature is more to your liking, and whether it justifies the price difference, if the price is the subject.

I like the depth, as well as the texture and definition in the bass, I do not like the tinny or bass-light headphones, and to my ears, and with the variety of the source material - that was (no bass) not my impression at all with MSR7; listening to even good quality (bit and sample rate) mp3 recordings of the radio broadcasts on the web, I couldn't wish for more bass. I have never heard SR9.

You can form the best judgment by giving them both a demo, and compare them directly, if they are available anywhere.
Also, again from my experience, MSR7 sound better and better after some time (yes, the infamous burn-in - be it for real or as a psychoacustic placebo).

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I have no place nearby to demo either of these - so I have to rely on what I can find on the internet. There is next to nothing on the sr9’s, relative to the msr7’s.

Thanks again,

Steve

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #2,354 of 2,803
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I have no place nearby to demo either of these - so I have to rely on what I can find on the internet. There is next to nothing on the sr9’s, relative to the msr7’s.

Thanks again,

Steve

There was one post, in this thread, that compared or mentioned the SR9 or some similar successor to the MSR7, the headhpone was announced then and in blue accents (color) - the connectors at the bottom of the each cup looked exactly the same. I presume it was the SR9. It was mentioned that, for the price difference, the can was not that much better, but it did have more "natural" sound.
I will try to find and link that post here.

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #2,355 of 2,803
New MSR7SE special edition announced!

ath-msr7se.jpg

It has improved isolation and sound quality with a new diaphragm to the drivers similar to that of the SR9. Also comes with a hard case and OFC cable.

https://audiotechnicanewsroom.com/2...dition-model-of-landmark-ath-msr7-headphones/

Right, my bad, so here it is; I have mistakenly thought of this can due to the diaphragm similar to SR9 being supposedly implemented in it.

I will look to see if there was more discussion or mention of the SR9 earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back