Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Aug 11, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2,176 of 2,803
Ooh, the special edition looks sweet. Will have to wait for some people to try them out since the diaphragm is "new and improved" haha, just to be sure the sound signature isn't too different.

Also wanted to ask, do any replacement pads fit on the MSR7? I am considering them, but seems like comfort is not a strong point of theirs.

Aug 11, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #2,177 of 2,803
I'm actually hoping it sticks more to the MSR7 but has more detail up top. The SR9 is too V-shaped and sounded quite detached with some songs I tested, although it is extremely detailed without being sibilant.

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #2,178 of 2,803
I'm actually hoping it sticks more to the MSR7 but has more detail up top. The SR9 is too V-shaped and sounded quite detached with some songs I tested, although it is extremely detailed without being sibilant.
Don't like V-shaped. I already like the MSR7 as it is. The thing I want to change/add is around 3 dB more in the sub-bass. to me the mids and highs are already very close to perfect if not perfect already. A lift in the sub bass would make the overall sound fuller.

If isolation is improved then it's also a very good addition. I use this can as portable more than my iem/ciems. I also found the right position in my head that makes this can very comfortable for long hours listening. The longest I have this on is like 9 straight hours.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2,181 of 2,803
If I have to guess it is between the SR9 and MSR7. Perhaps around 300USD
It's listed as £300 or about 400USD...

I wouldn't want V-shape either but I would like the highs to sound more detailed without being too sibilant as they are on the SR9. I agree that it would be nice for the sub-bass to be more emphasized, and also for the mid-bass to be cut down a bit. What I didn't like about the SR9 is that the mids sound somewhat honky and recessed lacking warmth. The MSR7's mids are more hot and some consider it sibilant and abrasive. For example Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, which is a warmly-tuned album, sounds cold and detached with the SR9, but with the MSR7 it still sounds mellow and warm while having good detail retrieval. My concern is that the improved isolation might compromise the soundstage, which already isn't very wide. Many reviewers claim MSR7 has soundstage almost as good as open-back but I don't think they are much wider than the M50x, just more layered.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #2,183 of 2,803
Ooh, the special edition looks sweet. Will have to wait for some people to try them out since the diaphragm is "new and improved" haha, just to be sure the sound signature isn't too different.

Also wanted to ask, do any replacement pads fit on the MSR7? I am considering them, but seems like comfort is not a strong point of theirs.

Brainwavz HM5 (flat and angled) pads fit perfectly as do ZMF oval pads. Was never sure what was best but if you were to twist my arm I might suggest the ZMF cowhide ovals.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #2,184 of 2,803
The HM5 is bigger and deeper and softer. It will surely raise the low end and make the overall sound darker. But it also put a veil on the upper mids and highs. That is the part I like most with MSR7

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #2,185 of 2,803
Brainwavz HM5 (flat and angled) pads fit perfectly as do ZMF oval pads. Was never sure what was best but if you were to twist my arm I might suggest the ZMF cowhide ovals.

Read about the HM5/MSR7 combo yesterday and the consensus seems to be a solid no-no. People who tried say it ruins the sound, I guess I can see why.
If only there were headphones in this price range as comfortable as a Bose over-ear but without the, you know, sound of a Bose :frowning2:

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #2,186 of 2,803
I've seen recommendations on this thread for the Yaxi Microfiber StPad, which supposedly sounds close to the stock sound, but I don't have them so I can't guarantee that. In the summer I use the SoundProfessionals pads that are sometimes on Massdrop. They bring out some more detail in the highs with a more open soundstage but also lose quite a bit in the bass.

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #2,187 of 2,803
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/review-the-ath-msr7-a-headphone-with-a-stylish-personality.857693/

Wrote my ath-msr7 review. I believe this headphone is worth a purchase for $200. Id be a bit less inclined to recommend for $250 due to certain issues it may have on the user. Imo, 200 is a safe investment to refund just because its more manageable to buy impulsively at that price.

Also I made a dedicated ath comparison thread for all audio technica products, but I believe its best to review them indivdually in case you guys want a more uodated version.

Aug 18, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #2,188 of 2,803
I ended up buying these phones while looking for a balanced pair to match my onkyo DPX1a player. Found out since that these can't be made balanced but I'm in love with their sound. I have some Bose QC35 and DT770s. And frankly the MSR7s sound better. Way better than QC35s obviously. I was going to keep them for trains and planes but really I just want to use the MSR7s. Can anyone tell me how they are on planes as obviously QC35s shine here. I'm just not sure if I fly enough to warrant having these lying around

Aug 18, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #2,189 of 2,803
I ended up buying these phones while looking for a balanced pair to match my onkyo DPX1a player. Found out since that these can't be made balanced but I'm in love with their sound. I have some Bose QC35 and DT770s. And frankly the MSR7s sound better. Way better than QC35s obviously. I was going to keep them for trains and planes but really I just want to use the MSR7s. Can anyone tell me how they are on planes as obviously QC35s shine here. I'm just not sure if I fly enough to warrant having these lying around

I used them on planes. They have little isolation and no noise cancellation (though there is a version with NC) so you may end up listening louder than usual to drown the noise. Still, I would pick this up than most can as a portable headphone. It does not need much power so no need to worry much if you can't make a balanced cable for DP-X1A. I actually use my MSR7 often paired with my iPod Classic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back