Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Mar 2, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #2,102 of 2,803
^ ah I have a chance to try out the Sony as Well... ******* man, I gander its one of the best closed headphone ever, it manages to beat my 2 open headphone, MA900 AND K702 from sounding clear, natural and Open. I was only using my Q1 as well, and that demo made me pull a trigger and bought a hybrid tune amp.

Also recently bought an old used iPhone 4s for my portable Spotify streaming, that connected to my Q1 using Line out have different sound sig output than using the headphone straight from the Q1 Dac & amp combo. That really shows me, even if it's minimal, DAC has their own sound signature changes as well and how important headphone-source chain pairings really is.

I find myself wanting slightly more warmth from the Z1R (contrary to mass opinion) and am hoping a hybrid tube amp will help my other cans as well.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #2,103 of 2,803
Not sure if I'm missing something but I tried the SR9 recently and don't think it's my cup of tea. The treble isn't as harsh as the MSR7 but it extends quite high, so detail retrieval is outstanding. However, I feel the treble is too detached from the rest of the range, and there is a loss of coherence. The test track I used was the up-beat part of Touch by Daft Punk - it didn't have the organic feel the album is known for. The MSR7 is warmer in comparison.

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #2,105 of 2,803
I wouldn't say the MSR7 is warm but relatively speaking it is warmer than the SR9. The lower end of the SR9 has some warmth but it's just the treble sounds so detached and gives the impression of a recessed midrange.

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #2,106 of 2,803
Has anyone here tried the AR5? I heard it a few times at various headphone stores along with the SR5. The SR5 has less bass, similar to the MSR7, maybe a tad more midbass and not quite as refined at the top, I'd say 80% of the MSR7's sound. The AR5 has a more punchy midbass than either the MSR7 or SR5 - the downside is that it sometimes sounds honky and slightly muffled and there isn't as much sub-bass as the M50x or Sony MDR-100AP. Still, it is a great all rounder. Treble isn't as prominent or detailed as the MSR7 but it extends quite well without an odd peak.

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2,109 of 2,803
Just demoed the SRH1540. I loved them. They are darker than my Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GMs, which really works well for lengthy listening sessions. Alice in Chains' Man in the Box sounded great. I love the forward highs on the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GMs, but it can get a little fatiguing with hi-hat and cymbal-heavy music. The SRH1540s are much smoother in this regard. I love both sound signatures and both sets will get much use, depending on my mood.

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #2,110 of 2,803
True... When I first listened to them they sounded too sibilant and lean on the bass. After a while I grew to love them. I think this phenomenon is due to the brain adjusting to the sound, "brain burn in", but hey, believe what you want. For instance I am having a bit of trouble adjusting to my new HE400i's with their more airy sound and fast, low-reaching bass. I am sure I will adjust to them soon enough.

I cant share opinion of brain forming. My MSR7 was too sibilant as well from start. I couldnt listen this for lets say more than an hour. Therefore I take it away while playing songs via DAP for lets say 60 hours. After this excercise it was ok to listen.

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #2,111 of 2,803

I cant share opinion of brain forming. My MSR7 was too sibilant as well from start. I couldnt listen this for lets say more than an hour. Therefore I take it away while playing songs via DAP for lets say 60 hours. After this excercise it was ok to listen.

My MSR7s sound sublime.  They do have pronounced treble, but I don't find them sibilant.  I also have the Shure SRH1540s for a more laid back, polite listening experience.  I liken the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7s to spicy salsa, whereas the Shures are creamy butter.  I love them both; mood dictates which I listen to.  My source is the Questyle QP1R.

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #2,112 of 2,803
I'm thinking of buying the MSR7 and pair them with the LG V20 QUAD DAC.
The main use will be with Rock & Electronic Music on bus rides from home to work and back.

So, first of all, am I looking at the right headphones for this kind of use?
Are the MSR7NC a better choice because of the noise cancelling, or will the MSR7 suffice for bus rides?
Do they sound the same, or does the NC changes the sound of the headphones?

Also, I'm a bit worried about the low impedance of the MSR7 on the LG V20.
Did someone get a chance to hear the MSR7 with the V20, or compare between the low & high impedance options?
I know that there's a workaround, to trigger the high impedance DAC option with low impedance headphones as the MSR7, but mabye the extra bucks of the high impedance MSR7NC's could save me this hassle.

Hope you could help me decide :)

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #2,113 of 2,803
The main use will be with Rock & Electronic Music on bus rides from home to work and back.

Are the MSR7NC a better choice because of the noise cancelling, or will the MSR7 suffice for bus rides?

Did someone get a chance to hear the MSR7 with the V20, or compare between the low & high impedance options?
I know that there's a workaround, to trigger the high impedance DAC option with low impedance headphones as the MSR7, but mabye the extra bucks of the high impedance MSR7NC's could save me this hassle.

The isolation of the normal MSR7 isn't great due to the venting port, so I would say if you can afford it, the NC would be a better choice for outdoor use. Not sure about your pairing however, I have no experience on that.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #2,114 of 2,803

MSR7 has emphasized highs therefore it is not my taste while listening electronic genre by default. I use custom EQ reducing gain of high freq. in such case. Additionally, LG V20 has ESS DAC and I would recomend to read something about LG V20 sound signature first. ESS has usually highs glare, if it is not properly reduced by device (phone, DAP,...) itself. Please look for measurement of MSR7 and MSR7NC active/passive on innerfidelity. You can see, that NC is not night and day, especially on low freq. I guess, that bus ride produce mainly low freq. noise and if your HP are not efficient to remove such noise, it is mixed together with your music. This makes listening slightly flat. I didnt hear MSR7NC active, but MSR7 and MSR7NC passive sounds same (sound signature). All innerfidelity measurements seems to be very similar. NC of MSR7NC is not as good as Bose or Etymonics. I dont know how much is output impedance of V20 HP output, but 10 Ohms output impedance of source unequally changes final (MSR7) freq. char. inside 2dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back