Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Feb 13, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #2,088 of 2,803
Maybe so, but theT5p is three times the cost of the MSR7. For less than $5 (post #2071), the "nastiness" can be tamed.

As for the $130 cable replacement, not doubting there's an improvement, but not sure it's worth half the cost of the phones themselves.

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #2,095 of 2,803
MSR 7 is a headphone that that doesn't sound good at start.... It requires plenty of burn in..... You will notice significant improvement in sound after burn in

True... When I first listened to them they sounded too sibilant and lean on the bass. After a while I grew to love them. I think this phenomenon is due to the brain adjusting to the sound, "brain burn in", but hey, believe what you want. For instance I am having a bit of trouble adjusting to my new HE400i's with their more airy sound and fast, low-reaching bass. I am sure I will adjust to them soon enough.

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #2,096 of 2,803
I'm agree with you. Now my MSR 7 sound much better and it's detail was phenomenal. (Of course because of the cable upgrade though) compare to M50x, it's not an easy-drive headphone, a good amplifier is recommended to improve its bass performance and the richness of the sound. My current equipments: Sony Walkman A35 Hi-res Player, Sony PHA-1A Hi-res Amplifier (Normal gain setting is recommended, high gain will let the sound sounded harsh on high frequency),Sony Custom Sliver Coated OFC cable, Sony Z5 Premium, Apple MacBook Pro 2015.

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #2,098 of 2,803
I'm agree with you. Now my MSR 7 sound much better and it's detail was phenomenal. (Of course because of the cable upgrade though) compare to M50x, it's not an easy-drive headphone, a good amplifier is recommended to improve its bass performance and the richness of the sound. My current equipments: Sony Walkman A35 Hi-res Player, Sony PHA-1A Hi-res Amplifier (Normal gain setting is recommended, high gain will let the sound sounded harsh on high frequency),Sony Custom Sliver Coated OFC cable, Sony Z5 Premium, Apple MacBook Pro 2015.

I was skeptical about the necessity of an amp/dac for headpnones like the msr7 so for the whole time i was using them it was straight from my laptop's 3.5mm port. Just recently i got the modi 2/magni 2 for my 400i's and i tried them with my msr7's as well, and i noticed that the sound changed: the sound was cleaner, with more separation, and more defined which helped improved the bass. All these years i never heard the msr7's to their full potential :/

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #2,100 of 2,803
MSR7 seems to work great with most DAP's.
biggrin.gif

I love mine with my DX80 or DX50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back