Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jan 28, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #2,071 of 2,803

Thinking about the MX40 as a pair for work since I'd rather leave the MSR7's at home. Can anyone comment on how the MX40 compares to the MSR7?

Trying an experiment with the MSR7. Since my ears were touching the drivers and felt the mids and treble were a bit too elevated, thought that a spacer between the driver board and the cushions might solve both issues and so far may have hit on a good idea. Bought some weatherstripping, "Frost King" brand I believe, and rolled a length between cushion and driver baffle. Both issues improved! The material added a little over 1/8" depth to the cushions, giving enough clearance for my ears, and softened mids and highs slightly.

The stuff is hollow closed cell foam with a "D" shaped cross section and comes in both black and brown, perfect for the black and brown MSR7 pads. It comes double-wide so just cut it down the middle. The toughest part is removing the adhesive from the flat side. Lacquer thinner did the trick but was a little tedious. There's still a clear thin film left on the foam, but it's very difficult to remove so just left it alone. 

Assuming that the reduced mids and treble is due to the driver being farther from the ear (or maybe the difference is all in my head). Now the MSR7's sound a little more like a good compromise with the Sony MDR-1A, which I really liked but couldn't stand the bloated bass.

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #2,072 of 2,803
I did an A/B demo of My M40x to an MSR7 before, my impression of it was: the M40x has more bass quantity, but less controlled, some would call it "wooly bass", and I agree with that,the MSR 7's is clearly faster and has better impact.. Mids is similar, with the MSR is a tiny bit more prominent on the upper mids (female vocals, etc), on treble the M40x has less than the MSR that holds backthe detail and clarity, the feeling that I have when I swap them is like a "veil" that I never knew exist on the M40x before has been lifted off.
Build: the HTC inner Headband make the MSR much smaller than it actually is, build better and more solid. Isolation is slightly less than M40x due to the existence of a port on the MSR.
IMO, MSR7 is a good upgrade for both M40x and M50x.

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #2,073 of 2,803
Could anyone recomend well pairing USB amp/DAC combo with MSR7? I want to connect this pair to my desktop PC and my laptop via USB.The main purpose is listening to music (50%) and gaming via virtual surround (50%). Portability is not a must - I have both PC/laptop at my desk. I am currently considering: Oppo HA-2SE, Xduoo XD-05, Onkyo DAC-HA300, Fostex - HP-A4 and Sennheiser GSX 1000 but you can offer better one also. I want to eliminate setup being prone to hiss or background noise and channel imbalance. Volume level should be well in scale. Thank you for comments or recomendation.

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #2,074 of 2,803
Any of those will do the MSR justice, with the sennheiser seems to give th e most package with its own DSP for surround sound. Heard a demo video of it before and I'm quite liking the Surround sound effect, it's like having an extra speakers in a price of a desktop DAC/Amp.

Feb 4, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #2,075 of 2,803
Well, I am trully amazed by my newly arrived MSR7 ( Japan import) . I use Macbook pro + fidelia (apple HQ)  + fiio k1.
Fit is perfect for me,listening to it for a 3rd hour in a row,  much better then my previous sennheiser momentum over ear.  
Build is kinda creaky :)

Plays every possible genre nicely. 
More than enough bass for me.
But, the highs are kinda light to my taste. For instance the hihats sound a little thin, like smaller in size 

No fatigue when listening.

Japanese recordings are amazing with these cans, before with the  Momentums it sounded awful.
Makes sense, music recorded in Japan playing nicely by nippon cans :)

Guys, my box was not sealed, but everything looks brand new.
It seems that there is no stickers to seal the box. Was it your case too ?

Thanks in advance.

Highres files sound amazing, however even with lousy 256k mp3 they are quite forgiving.

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #2,076 of 2,803
A week ago I bought a new Msr7nc, after I read some pretty good reviews from the web. However, I didn't like it's sound, although it's highs are less fatigue than m50x, but it sounds less detailed and HARSH, the lows are not tight and recessed (I know Msr7 got some issues with their bass). I listen to it over and over again, it's bad. I start to figuring out the problem, and made a risky decision, I bought a Sony's silver plated OFC cable (around 130dollars) and use it instead of Audio Technica's original factory cable. The final results truly surprised me. The highs no more harsh but transparent and very detailed, the bass finally revealed themselves, it's tight and punchy (still lack some elasticity though), the mids is more focused. The overall sound was more transparent, clean and there is a significant improvement in soundstage, left right channel separation as well.

Feb 4, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #2,078 of 2,803
That's such a risky decision, not liking the sound of a $200 headphones, buying $130 cables to mend it... But hey, at least you get what you've been looking for. And it's not like the cable would be solely used for the MSR, right?

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #2,079 of 2,803
Today I listen over and over again to figured out the difference of sound between original AT cable and Sony's silver plated OFC cable. The sound is far more richer with Sony's cable. The overall sound is more detailed as well, high is less harshy and the bass performance improved. Mid range is more focused. The sound stage is more upfront and slightly bigger.

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #2,082 of 2,803
I just got my pair of MSR7 to replace my "neutral" cans that broke down, the AKG K545. And these are just so much better. Better clarity, better bass. 

I can totally see what people are seeing that these are not laid back though. Definitely something I need to get used based on my other headphones I own (specifically the M100). 

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #2,084 of 2,803

Thinking about the MX40 as a pair for work since I'd rather leave the MSR7's at home. Can anyone comment on how the MX40 compares to the MSR7?

Trying an experiment with the MSR7. Since my ears were touching the drivers and felt the mids and treble were a bit too elevated, thought that a spacer between the driver board and the cushions might solve both issues and so far may have hit on a good idea. Bought some weatherstripping, "Frost King" brand I believe, and rolled a length between cushion and driver baffle. Both issues improved! The material added a little over 1/8" depth to the cushions, giving enough clearance for my ears, and softened mids and highs slightly.

The stuff is hollow closed cell foam with a "D" shaped cross section and comes in both black and brown, perfect for the black and brown MSR7 pads. It comes double-wide so just cut it down the middle. The toughest part is removing the adhesive from the flat side. Lacquer thinner did the trick but was a little tedious. There's still a clear thin film left on the foam, but it's very difficult to remove so just left it alone. 

Assuming that the reduced mids and treble is due to the driver being farther from the ear (or maybe the difference is all in my head). Now the MSR7's sound a little more like a good compromise with the Sony MDR-1A, which I really liked but couldn't stand the bloated bass.

I compared them. I not understand the rave about the MX 40. Neutral? The first impression was a "fun headphone, with a short, but pronounced, hitting bass.  Very V shaped. It is less roundr sounding then the MX 50. It was not comfortable on my head either.  Now the MDR 7 is a bit tight, there was a video, how too loosen it, but  cannot find it anymore.

The MX 40 biggest fault is the treble. It is too straight forward, not integrated and the greatest bummer was the voices. Especially female voices had no body. It was like all female singers sounded the same. Rhianna sounds thin, when she has an exotic voice. When you move after that to the MSR 7, woaw it gains musicality. 

Don't get me wrong the FIRST IMPRESSION, of the MX 40 is ok, but when you listen longer to it, these faults become more obvious. I cannot listen to it too long, while the MSR, if pared with a good source and flac sound smooth and more neutral. It is closer in sound to the MX 50, without the exaggeration of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back