Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Feb 2, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #1,351 of 2,803
What's your definition of portable.

For me, yes they are portable. I can wear them on my neck when needed, they provide some isolation, and they are easily driven by my iPhone. That's all I require.

If you're looking at features such as in-line remote (mobile-friendly), and nice aesthetics then yes they are portable, but if you want a lightweight, foldable headphone this is not it. M50x is bulkier but at least you can fold it up.

Thanks for the replies. I'm currently using a DT1350. I could go bigger but I found the Ultrasone Signature DJ too large for my head for portable use. No issues for home use. So, in relation to the Ultrasone I would hope for a slimmer profile, headband etc.

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #1,352 of 2,803

I there a way to buy these, with shipping forwarding or something, internationally (canada)?

Try to contact audio-technica US. They have MSR7 earpads for $35
http://www.head-fi.org/t/738758/audio-technica-ath-msr7-discussion-thread/1305#post_12276493

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #1,355 of 2,803

Thanks for the replies. I'm currently using a DT1350. I could go bigger but I found the Ultrasone Signature DJ too large for my head for portable use. No issues for home use. So, in relation to the Ultrasone I would hope for a slimmer profile, headband etc.

They are a good size for around ears. That being said, something like the Audio Technica ESW9 is smaller, but they are on ears rather than around ears. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #1,356 of 2,803
has anyone tried them with the chord mojo?

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #1,358 of 2,803
Just got the Msr7's,as an alternative to my momentum over ears 1.0 and loving
Trying to evaluate them against one another but I don't get the comparisons with the HE400, they're just totally different animals. Just get them all.... You know you will in the end.

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #1,359 of 2,803
I wanted to post a couple of comments after a few hours and days with these.

Build quality- better than the similar Sony MDR-1a but still "creaky" if you move the cups. It is ok.

Comfort - weirdly warm on your ears, I have a bit of the discussed clamping pressure but there are worse. Not bad.

Sound Quality - many describe these as swaying to the bright side, I would agree but I think bright is negative sounding. The treble is actually awesome. The extension actually leads to creating a wonderfully detailed sound. I generally prefer a warmer sound but this is not the least sibilant in tracks that usually are. Possibly it is my sources, the 120ii and the Nexus 6 streaming Tidal.

Mids - present but not as buttery smooth as say a Sennheiser mid, but in relation to the bass and treble it is fairly balanced in the spectrum.

Bass - not a basshead can but it punches when called upon and provides much bass detail. I like the bass quality an punch a lot.

Soundstage - it is a good soundstage, I think due in part to the treble extension and depth if the earcups.

Overall I am enjoying these a lot. It is an awesome headphone. I very rarely discuss bang for the buck, but with this one I must. It is one of the best I have heard for the price. Period. Very detailed and I hear every nuance in tracks.

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,360 of 2,803
Overall I am enjoying these a lot. It is an awesome headphone. I very rarely discuss bang for the buck, but with this one I must. It is one of the best I have heard for the price. Period. Very detailed and I hear every nuance in tracks.

I have been waiting on your thoughts, having read your comments in the portable headphone thread over the last while. Glad to hear they are working for you.

Agree with all your comments, particularly the slightly warm ears, I thought that might just be me.

How do you find them compared to some of the other closed portable competitors, particularly the m2?

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #1,361 of 2,803
Feb 8, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #1,362 of 2,803
Need impression of Yaxi StPAD with MSR7, maybe someone who lived in Japan or Indonesia have tried it

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #1,363 of 2,803
How do you find them compared to some of the other closed portable competitors, particularly the m2?

Wow.  This is going to come down to personal sound signature preference. The M2 have always been my favorite/go to portable headphone, the two are really different. The M2 is more warm, the mids are more in your face but smooth like Sennheisers are. Overall more bass presence. Lacks the treble extension of the MSR7.

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #1,365 of 2,803
Sorry, IMO, HM5 make MSR7 more prone to sibilance. I'm using it because original pads is broken after 1 year of heavily usage
Only make soundstage bigger and reduced midbass impact, and feel more vibrate to my head
I tried to reduce the sibilance by using top cover cloth from MSR7 box and place it behind the pad (atleast it's working just little bit 
biggrin.gif
)
---
I will order Yaxi StPAD, still waiting the stock at local store (black ring color is out of stock)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back