Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Feb 20, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #1,411 of 2,803
JBL is under Harmon's umbrella, as is AKG. Check out the K812 
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Have only read of it myself, but have heard and thoroughly enjoyed the K712. 

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #1,412 of 2,803

Yeah, this probably a bit of my fault, but the Behringer UM2. I asked about this a while ago, as well as needing them for speakers, and the conclusion was that audio interfaces would be a better value, even if not the best/made for headphones. I could have got a better one, but the DAC/AMP isn't even the thing they're really promoted on, so they may not be actually any better.

In my experience the larger traditional analog amplifiers always gets better performance out of headphones. I have a big Marantz PM5005 analog amp and it drives my headphones way better than the various headphone/dac amps i have. I recommend one of those, it could be the difference between liking a pair of headphones and loving them...

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #1,414 of 2,803

Yeah, this probably a bit of my fault, but the Behringer UM2. I asked about this a while ago, as well as needing them for speakers, and the conclusion was that audio interfaces would be a better value, even if not the best/made for headphones. I could have got a better one, but the DAC/AMP isn't even the thing they're really promoted on, so they may not be actually any better.

I know that JBL makes headphones, but they don't make any under the JBL Pro brand, so I just thought they were all consumer/lesser quality products. I'll look into them now, I'm reading that they were modelled after the LSR6332. I'm still going to give these headphones a week though.

The only other (good) headphones I had before this were clinical/analytical and stupidly detailed. The instrumental end of Kesha - Supernatural had all these "snaps" and echos super prominent,

Seems your trying to do both speakers and headphone amp.
Go Shiit Audio. Yea its a step in Cash but you get what you pay for with them.
Look in the Classifieds.

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #1,415 of 2,803
  Hey guys, I purchase this cans last year and my cables are getting damaged now, do you know where can I get different cables for it? perhaps some customs ones? 

Sentey Audio Cable 3.5mm Braided.
http://www.amazon.com/Sentey-Braided-Audiophile-Premium-Connector/dp/B017ABOMSW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1456076147&sr=1-1&keywords=Sentey+Audio+Cable+3.5mm+Braided+Stereo+Aux+Cable+Audiophile+Grade+Sentey+6ft+Male+to+Male+%28Black%29+%2F

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #1,416 of 2,803
  What would you prefer this baby or meze classic 99????

If it's me your asking, then I haven't heard the Meze 99 Classics yet but i used to own thier predecessors ( 88 Classics) which had a well balanced, luxuriosly warm sound.The kind of rich tones you only get with wooden headphones. The 99 Classics are most likely to be the same thing but better.

It depends on what kind of sound you like best. I prefer a more neutral or brighter sound. If you have the cash and are considering them, then I would go for them both. They are different beasts though would complement each other very well. (Keep in mind that i'm going by the 99's predecessors, 88 Classics. As i said above the 99's will most likely be the same thing but better).

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #1,418 of 2,803
What's a good headband protector for these? Preferably one that has more padding and increase comfort.

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #1,419 of 2,803
Got this headphone this week, stunning for my needs, Nice bright sound, with great mids and lots of sharp details. Headphones are piece of art as well so nice!

These are such an underated headphone

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,420 of 2,803
I've owned/been using the MSR7 headphones for a week now and got a say for the price I paid ($225 from B&H Photo) these are a fantastic pair of headphones and I am very happy; will definitely be keeping these for awhile.  These definitely bring out the higher frequencies and detail that I found missing from past headphones that I've owned/used (i.e.  Momentums 1&2, M-100, MDR-1R&A) and is very comparable to the Byerdynamic t51i.  The bottom frequencies don't extend as low as the others mentioned, but definitely extends low enough for my taste.  I really enjoy the low's on the MSR7 the extend to the range that I really enjoy and is nice and tight, no muddiness.  I thought the MDR-1A & R were both to muddy.  The M-100's had the best low extension but sometimes encroached on the mids.  I think the MSR7, while might not have the sub-bass as the M-100's it is still plentiful and great sounding without hindering any of the other frequencies.

As far as comfort, which I was really concerned with prior to receiving the headphones (after reading comments in this thread).  But I got to say right out of the box the MSR7 are very comfortable.  Not to the level of the Sony MDR-1A/R, but close.  Definitely more comfortable than the Senn Momentum 2.0 and V-Moda M-100.  Messing around with headband placement I did feel a slight hot spot forming if I positioned the headband on the very top of my head (which BTW is the softest part of the head), this is not my normal placement.  By positioning to my normal area right in between the top of my head and the crown of my head; the headphones are very comfortable.  I kept them on my head one day at work for about 4hours straight with absolutely no discomfort.  I quoted zazex below and perhaps the comment is true.  My pair has a little sticker on the box next to the UPC that has 2015-11 and four digits below that, so I am assuming that maybe my headphones were manufactured or shipped from factory on Nov 2015. 

The build quality is top notch too, which I was also a little skeptical about.  They feel very solid in the hands and the weight is substantial but definitely not heavy.  My pair, while only a week old, has no creeks. Perfect combination of high quality plastics and metals used in the headphone.

And the looks are phenomenal. I just love the looks of the headphones, probably because I have always been a fan of the blue and block color scheme.  Probably one of the best looking headphones I've owned with the M-100's as a close second.

Anyways this is just my thoughts on the MSR7.  I'm extremely happy with them and will be keeping them for awhile.  IMO, the easily match headphones that cost $200-300 more in terms of sound.

Quote:
  Good news on the MSR7's.

I had bought them on two separate occasions
and had to return them because of the intense
clamping force.  But I really liked their sound.

Couple of days ago, I had a feeling I should try
them again and bought them at B&H.  Handy
that it was right nearby when I got the "itch".
wink.gif

When I put them on, I noticed immediately that
the clamping force was less than on the first two
pairs I'd bought.

They fit well, and are actually quite comfortable.

I'm not sure if this pair is unique in this regard...
"defective" but in a good way - or if AT has heard
the complaints and adjusted the caliper force
accordingly.

Something I thought I should mention in this thread.

Cheers,

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #1,421 of 2,803
For anyone interested in a case for the MSR7, I just received the GOcase F2-Type Heaphones Case from audiogeeks.com yesterday.  This is the case that should have been shipped with the MSR7 with the addition of Audio-Technica branding on it, of course.  The case actually advertises as fitting the Sony MDR-1R, which is dimensionally almost identical to the MSR7.  Below are links to the product webpage and audiogeeks website where I found the lowest price (after phone conversation with audiogeeks.com they agreed to sell me the case for $45).

Product webpage:  http://www.gocase.com/collections/headphone-cases/products/f2-case-for-fold-flat-headphones

Audio Geeks webpage:  https://www.audiogeeks.com/accessories/gocase-f2-type-headphone-case

Below are pics:

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #1,422 of 2,803
any hints on good replacement cable for this nice headphone?

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #1,423 of 2,803
Mar 9, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #1,424 of 2,803
The MSR7 seems to be using typical cables, nothing proprietary like Sennheiser's. I don't know if it's gonna improve the sound by much, but there's no hurt in trying.

On the issues of clamp force, try putting them around a block of books. It did not bother me as much as the pleather pads being too enclosed and I often sweat after one or two hours of use.

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #1,425 of 2,803
any hints on good replacement cable for this nice headphone?

Depends on which kind of cable you're looking for, especially since the MSR7 comes with 3 different stock ones. I use only the short 3.5mm cable with mine; this one on Amazon would probably make for a decent replacement (it's also been recommended before in the thread, IIRC): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZS6QPTQ

But as already stated above, you can actually use any standard audio cable terminated to a 3.5mm mini plug on one end with the MSR7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back