Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Nov 25, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #106 of 2,803
headfonia store unboxing and make review of MSR7 (Indonesian language), maybe Malaysian can understand what Mike said

I make conclusion from that video, I'm Indonesian btw :D
-the pads is thicker than MDR-1R (headfonia still don't have demo unit of 1A). better than sennheiser HD # DJ
-not too flat, with minimum coloration. He read somewhere that it can be used for monitoring but not flat and without coloration as other headphones (CD900ST?)
-have good pace for music
-upper mid is bit forward. Maybe for Jpop is too forward
-very fast and punchy bass. not low as MDR-1R. not basshead headphone
-very clean than MDR-1R. Maybe Mike must compared it with MDR-1A ASAP :D
-He said it's like miniature of W1000X with better speed and with softer treble

I should go to Jakarta next week to test it

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #107 of 2,803
He said something along the lines of 
- MSR7 having a similar characteristic to HD-25 with bass going lower than the HD-25 but not overwhelming in quantity.
- MSR7 is much more transparent and clear than HD-25 
- Eventhough the MSR7 has lesser bass quantity than the MDR-1R it can be said that the bass can be the MSR's strong point because of its speed, being much quicker than the MDR1R
- It has a very unique tuning, very clear, very transparent unlike MDR1R but won't really satisfy bassheads. 
- More refined treble, not as hot as W1000 

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #108 of 2,803
I'm wondering how this compares to the M50x.

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #109 of 2,803
  There is a Unboxing/Review video in youtube but it's Japanese and the integrated auto translate caption thing didn't do a good job...

Anyway if someone knows Japanese the sound review should be at ~ 7:30min

He mostly talks about what "Hi-res" sound means, the triple acoustic vent system, the soundstage, etc. Didn't listen too carefully (had it playing in the background while doing other stuff), but I can actually watch it and translate if someone is interested.

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #110 of 2,803
Initial impressions seem pretty good - slightly warm tilting sound, with a bit of sparkle - with a narrow soundstage unfortunately.  I hope sibilance isnt a problem - really looking for an HE-400i sound in a closed form factor. 

Are these orderable at all in North America (Canada)? Or only through Ebay atm? 

The Sony MDR1a's look comparable..but ive read some funky reviews on it. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #111 of 2,803
Did I make it sounds like they got a narrow soundstage? No its soundstage is actually quite impressive. Not as wide as some of us may like, but really quite impressive for a portable size closed back.

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #113 of 2,803
I'm wondering how this compares to the M50x.

I will describe comparison of MSR7 with M50LE and M50x in my review. Currently too busy to finish it.

But in a glance, when we consider the older M50LE (familiar tonality) as flat / balanced, M50x is slightly more V shape tonality than M50LE, while MSR7 has less bass than M50LE, around 3 dB less, with wide mild hump at around 3 kHz, also around 3 dB hump, when compared to M50LE. IMHO they are all in about the same class of sound quality, just different tuning.

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #114 of 2,803
M50LE is flatter than the M50x??? I don't think so, although I do know the LE was better than the original. If the LE was flatter, than AT would have stuck with it in the M50x.

My impressions of the original M50 and the M50x are, as listed: lesser bass bloat compared to M50, less piercing treble due to a reduced 10kHz peak, and more well extended bass.

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #115 of 2,803
M50LE is flatter than the M50x??? I don't think so, although I do know the LE was better than the original. If the LE was flatter, than AT would have stuck with it in the M50x.

My impressions of the original M50 and the M50x are, as listed: lesser bass bloat compared to M50, less piercing treble due to a reduced 10kHz peak, and more well extended bass.

M50x definitely has more bass and treble than M50LE, not much. So depend which one you want to consider as balance. To my ears, M50x is a bit V shape, just a bit.  It's not which one is better.  Some recordings sounds better on M50x, some on M50LE.  It is also depend on the system as well. I consider M50LE, M50x, and MSR7 to be in the same league, just different tuning to suit individual preference.

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #116 of 2,803
Finally I got the LTD as well..................so I now got 2 MSR7s. While I'm sure MSR7 shares the same heritage with M50 somehow, I never got to like M50 too much. M50x was much better but still something wasn't right........I put it as to the timbre mostly, as some instruments tend to sound unnatural and while generally the layering ability is fine,  some congestion is found in specific frequency ranges. The MSR7, on the other hand, is much more open and transparent with correct timbre. It ticks a lot more boxes to me than the M50x. I didn't have much experience with the M50LE so I couldn't really comment.

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #117 of 2,803
  Finally I got the LTD as well..................so I now got 2 MSR7s. While I'm sure MSR7 shares the same heritage with M50 somehow, I never got to like M50 too much. M50x was much better but still something wasn't right........I put it as to the timbre mostly, as some instruments tend to sound unnatural and while generally the layering ability is fine,  some congestion is found in specific frequency ranges. The MSR7, on the other hand, is much more open and transparent with correct timbre. It ticks a lot more boxes to me than the M50x. I didn't have much experience with the M50LE so I couldn't really comment.

I tried MSR7 with many sources, I found that it is quite picky with amps.  One of the best pairing is with Audio Technica AT-HA22Tube, simply fantastic pairing!  Much better pairing than other amps I tried, including Violectric V200, Yulong A28, and other DAC+Amp combos.

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #118 of 2,803

I tried MSR7 with many sources, I found that it is quite picky with amps.  One of the best pairing is with Audio Technica AT-HA22Tube, simply fantastic pairing!  Much better pairing than other amps I tried, including Violectric V200, Yulong A28, and other DAC+Amp combos.

I'll have to leave the results of amp pairing to others as I never intend to amp the MSR7. I intend to use it with my ultraportable/portable rig that only consist of my AK120ii, and it fares really well with the AK. I've also tried the MSR with iphone and it's rather satisfactory.

Nov 28, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #119 of 2,803

little bit picky? Now I'm confused. My currently DAC+AMP is FiiO E10K. I want buy something better for MSR7, I don't know about Fostex HP-A4 or something cheaper like HP-A4. I want USB powered amp like E10K

Nov 28, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #120 of 2,803
I've returned the MSR7 to AT last Monday, but will try again tomorrow at the AT event. A few days ago I received Creative Sound Blaster E5, which I think, the sound signature might match MSR7.
Hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to try MSR7 on SB E5. Will update later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back