Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Dec 13, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #241 of 2,803
I m quite surprised to hear that the MSR7 is more expensive than ESW9 because it is certainly not the case in Singapore. ESW9 is selling for 438SGD whereas the MSR7 is 268SGD (LTD is 288SGD) Are you sure you got the prices correct?

I'm living in Turkey, and I look for prices in Japan through kakaku.com guys. at the time being, esw9 is 20.000 yen, and esw9tld is 38.500 whereas es10 is ~27.000, and msr7 is 25.000.

Do you think that you might have taken esw9ltd for the place of standard esw9?

the prices made me think that msr7 should be overall superior to esw9 ; due to its bigger and newer driver (45mm vs 42mm) and higher pricing.

check it out for yourselves!

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #242 of 2,803
I'm living in Turkey, and I look for prices in Japan through kakaku.com guys. at the time being, esw9 is 20.000 yen, and esw9tld is 38.500 whereas es10 is ~27.000, and msr7 is 25.000.

Do you think that you might have taken esw9ltd for the place of standard esw9?

the prices made me think that msr7 should be overall superior to esw9 ; due to its bigger and newer driver (45mm vs 42mm) and higher pricing.

check it out for yourselves!

I think you need to understand that the price on kakaku is their street price and that is for a product which is already 7 years old. The MSRP of ESW9 is actually 36,000 JPY as listed on the official JP product page. Naturally, the retailers will lower the price to push the product since it is so old and there are a lot of competing products. However, the MSR7 is not even two months old, so it will be sold at MSRP. What's more, the distributors outside of Japan need not follow their street price (and most probably not want to). Whether the MSR7 is worth the difference (only if you get the ESW9 through PriceJapan) is for you to decide.

But then again, ESW9 at about 20K JPY is a good deal if you like its sound signature. For others, the MSR7 may be for them :)

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #243 of 2,803
Actually i am an esw9 user for 1.5 years : ) now thinking of an upgrade considering msr7, or dramatically price-dropped es10, or esw9ltd. 

attracted towards es10 due to its price and giant 53 mm driver. with a proper mod, it seems to have the potential to become the soundstage king of portables. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #247 of 2,803
They both look pretty much the same, but I prefer the headband design of the 1R (MSR7 headband is too thin) and the earpads of the 1R. Construction wise, the MSR7 is more solid. The MSR7 also sounds a lot better

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #248 of 2,803
  Yeah everyone knows and whats the big deal?  

The lack of concern for respecting IP is astounding. I hope they don't get away with this; unless by some chance this is a collaboration between AT and Sony. This sort of behavior is usually never so blatant and is frowned upon (see Apple vs Samsung lawsuit). And Samsung's Apple inspired designs are tame compared to what audio-technica is doing here, basically a carbon copy of the Sony MDR-1R with AT logo stamped on.

Yeah ath-msr7 have only a few little different from mdr-1 series. 

I prefer the design of MDR-1A but for coloring I prefer ATH-MSR7 (Red/Gold) 

FYI the red/gold color is limited edition and you probably will have to import it from Japan at higher cost than the regular ones.

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #249 of 2,803
I suppose if it's a big deal to Sony then they'll do something about it. As a consumer I don't care as long as it sounds good and built well. I'm not loyal to either but like products from both companies. MSR7 sounds and feels significantly better than the MDR1. Don't know about the 1A.

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #250 of 2,803
The lack of concern for respecting IP is astounding. I hope they don't get away with this; unless by some chance this is a collaboration between AT and Sony. This sort of behavior is usually never so blatant and is frowned upon (see Apple vs Samsung lawsuit). And Samsung's Apple inspired designs are tame compared to what audio-technica is doing here, basically a carbon copy of the Sony MDR-1R with AT logo stamped on.

FYI the red/gold color is limited edition and you probably will have to import it from Japan at higher cost than the regular ones.

I'll agree with Dannybai on this.

people should know, and...

nobody cares.

When Sony actually exhibits some form of effort and use this opportunity to sue Audio Technica, that'll be the day people will care.

I don't care either, only because I'm a bit more occupied with the MSR7's sound and headband padding design choice.

We'll give you a 3-D stitched leather earpads that have memory foam!

FOR COMFORT!

We'll also give you a thin padded headband for good measure! Cost effective for sure!!!

Seriously, and the clamping force in the beginning kind of bothers me on the bottom earlobes...

Not anymore though, so they're lucky.

Sound, hey, let's make the lower treble a bit emphasized for good measure! (This is mostly me and exe though, but I'm still agitated).

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #252 of 2,803

there can only be so many ways to get over your head without thinking out of the box that much :p

...i am game to listen to this pair of headtongs. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #253 of 2,803
Alright, looks like the lower treble peak and the 10khz unnatural sounds have been slightly improved after some burn-in.

I think I'll keep these headphones. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #255 of 2,803
I'm currently owning an esw9, but my cable is broken. And while we're trying to fix it, these caught my attention. I've tried a MDR1 but couldn't get used to it because of the (lack) of deep bass. I've had AT's. before (OR7) so I got my ESW9 which luckily was immediately a match, mainly because of the sleek sound and depth. So now I'm looking around a bit (and since I'm in Europe, I can't go to a store to try) and as some others above, I'm interested in a comparison between these and the esw9's. A bit more in depth comparison with the mdr1's would also be very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back