Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Aug 25, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #2,491 of 2,803
Im surprised your dx200 is still working. The The MSR-7 has a common ground. It means you are shorting the amps in both channels in the balanced connector. Or possibly you are just hearing one channel.

I was thinking of modding my MSR-7 to support balanced cables. But can’t find a way without drilling a hole on the right-side cup.

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #2,492 of 2,803
Im surprised your dx200 is still working. The The MSR-7 has a common ground. It means you are shorting the amps in both channels in the balanced connector. Or possibly you are just hearing one channel.

I was thinking of modding my MSR-7 to support balanced cables. But can’t find a way without drilling a hole on the right-side cup.
Working perfectly ! Before to buy this adapter, i was using a standard 2.5mm Trrs standard adapter to 3.5mm Trrs to use with my Sennheiser Pxc550 for the mic control. I just needed to remove a sleeve to only use R\L.. But that was given me reverse polarity. Then with the 2.5mm bought on Amazon, the polarity is not reverse...and can completely push the 2.5mm trrs connector to the bottom of the Ibasso Amp 3 that only take 2.5mm balanced without any standard 3.5mm stereo.

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #2,493 of 2,803
I dont know exactly how the adapter is wired internally. But it sounds like it’s just shorting the - wire on both channels.

why bother doing it if you are not going to get full balanced drive? it only proves how DX200 can handle a near 0-ohm load and not blowing up.

I would not recommend it, as it could damage both headphone and source.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #2,494 of 2,803
I dont know exactly how the adapter is wired internally. But it sounds like it’s just shorting the - wire on both channels.

why bother doing it if you are not going to get full balanced drive? it only proves how DX200 can handle a near 0-ohm load and not blowing up.

I just wanted to enjoy the sound signature of the Amp3, i do have Amp 1 and 5 and they sound very different of each others. Amp 3 is very neutral sounding, just great. And i do not see the problem of driving them with the Balanced output. Since Amazon sold this particular adapter and many peoples review it, as a good alternative to enjoy it.. and i didnt read that people have problem either.

Aug 25, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #2,495 of 2,803

That adaptor is sold for this purpose so I would guess it has a resistor or two in there to "mix" the two floating grounds together, if it doesn't I wouldn't use it for the reasons you mention.

@DrumSeb I've ordered some 3.5mm sockets if they are suitable for the application I will mod my msr7 to full balanced with a cable entry on each side and post some pictures.

Aug 25, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #2,496 of 2,803
That adaptor is sold for this purpose so I would guess it has a resistor or two in there to "mix" the two floating grounds together, if it doesn't I wouldn't use it for the reasons you mention.

@DrumSeb I've ordered some 3.5mm sockets if they are suitable for the application I will mod my msr7 to full balanced with a cable entry on each side and post some pictures.
You are probably right ! Cool, will wait for your impression on the mod.

Aug 25, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #2,497 of 2,803

Ok that makes sense. But I still don’t get the idea. Yes it sounds different. But why bother? SE jack is there for a reason.

Aug 25, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #2,499 of 2,803
97AA2F05-BC3D-4E9D-B7A7-BB86C09E04BE.png Why this kind of cable will not work in Balance mode with the Single stereo connector, as it work on the momentum or Sony ?

Aug 25, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #2,500 of 2,803
Why this kind of cable will not work in Balance mode with the Single stereo connector, as it work on the momentum or Sony ?

If you are asking what I think you are asking then it won't work because on most headphones including the msr7 the socket on the headphone is only wired for single ended operation (with a common ground to Left and right).

One exception to this is the Oppo PM3 that does have a socket wired for balanced, I believe that cable will work and give balanced operation with the PM3 to a Sony DAP like the NW-ZX300.

Aug 25, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #2,501 of 2,803
Well, I'm definitely interested in the mods you guys are planning. I'm gonna keep an eye out for your results.

With that said, I think the MSR7 would be much easier to convert to balanced with a 3.5mm (or 2.5mm, whatevs) TRRS socket than having a connection on both cups. The way it's wired internally is that you have a 2 conductor wire from each driver, and those are both connected to the PCB that houses the 3.5mm jack in the left cup. Looking at that PCB, it could easily have been a balanced jack in there, but AT decided not to do it that way for some reason. Thing is, the internal wiring is setup so that making it balanced would be a piece of cake for someone with experience in soldering this stuff. It's not like the M50x that has a PCB on the left driver that connects both drivers to the jack, the drivers in the MSR7 are independent of each other and are directly wired to the input jack.

TL;DR : Just replace the stock 3.5mm input with a TRRS one and wire accordingly (L+, R+, R-, L- or whatever it is). No drilling holes on one side needed.

EDIT : Don't know if it would work, but maybe something like this could do the job.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-10Pcs-...922284?hash=item1ee3cd9e2c:g:XAkAAOSw92RbKh-f

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #2,504 of 2,803
Bloody hell, I just realized no one that I'm aware of is actually making 3.5mm TRRS to 2.5mm TRRS cables for headphones. I was researching how I could make the MSR7 balanced in the future (if I get a balanced amp) and the only cable I've found that would go from a 3.5mm TRRS to a 2.5mm TRRS plug is Fostex's cable that they make for the T60rp. The only other option I've found is 3.5mm TRRS to 4-pin XLR and then that can be adapted to 2.5mm TRRS, but if using them on the go, and with the MSR7 I'm assuming most people are, and XLR adapter is super bulky and much less than ideal. For home use it could be fine, but if you have something like the aforementioned iBasso or a Fiio Q1 mk2/Q5 then you're out of luck. Unless one is proficient with making their own cables, maybe going with dual exit 2.5mm mono sockets isn't a bad idea. That way, however, you lose the option to attach a mic equipped cable to the headphones, which is a nice feature to have. Unless a normal 3.5mm plug would cause problems with a balanced 3.5mm TRRS socket, that is. Then you're screwed either way if you want balanced AND a mic.

Aug 29, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #2,505 of 2,803
B0529AA5-BFC6-4A80-9AFF-4B9FE09A2EF2.png
Bloody hell, I just realized no one that I'm aware of is actually making 3.5mm TRRS to 2.5mm TRRS cables for headphones. I was researching how I could make the MSR7 balanced in the future (if I get a balanced amp) and the only cable I've found that would go from a 3.5mm TRRS to a 2.5mm TRRS plug is Fostex's cable that they make for the T60rp. The only other option I've found is 3.5mm TRRS to 4-pin XLR and then that can be adapted to 2.5mm TRRS, but if using them on the go, and with the MSR7 I'm assuming most people are, and XLR adapter is super bulky and much less than ideal. For home use it could be fine, but if you have something like the aforementioned iBasso or a Fiio Q1 mk2/Q5 then you're out of luck. Unless one is proficient with making their own cables, maybe going with dual exit 2.5mm mono sockets isn't a bad idea. That way, however, you lose the option to attach a mic equipped cable to the headphones, which is a nice feature to have. Unless a normal 3.5mm plug would cause problems with a balanced 3.5mm TRRS socket, that is. Then you're screwed either way if you want balanced AND a mic.
Like this one ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back