Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jun 26, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #2,476 of 2,803
Thanks will look into it and will post pictures of my mods when done, yeah I hear you on the rewire maybe not essential all depends on if I duel cable entry of put a 4 pole female in the one cup, just use silver in general and not a fan of the ultra thin wires internally. Balanced is my main objective as the extra power and no noise floor cross over is always a welcome addition, modded a lot of cans from single to balanced and it's a definite plus when hooked up to a good balanced source, got the daughter a X7ii as she wanted to stream etc and it came with the AM3A amp so might as well use it. Just modded a pair of B&W P7 & 9's for a mate to use with his WM1Z and he's well impressed with the difference. If anyone as an opinion on this price bracket of portable phones let us know what you think eg Sony MDR1A / AM2 , MSR7's and such like.
Well, yeah, balanced is at least interesting. It does bring changes to the sound with the negatives being the cost and added complexity. Can't say the same for rewiring unless it's necessary. And even more so when talking about the MSR7, doing a dual entry thing is probably gonna be a huge pain in the butt. Save your time and sanity and just do a single TRRS plug. Helps with the portability too and doesn't lose utility (I mean, that way you can still use them with the mic I suppose).

Regarding headphones in the same price... Well, I haven't heard the new Sonys, the MDR-1AM2, but I guess they aren't gonna be TOO different from the MDR-1A I was looking at before I got the MSR7. The Sonys are great, don't get me wrong, but they are no MSR7. They have a lot of bass and it's nice, quality bass, but they lack liveliness and detail and soundstage presentation compared to the MSR7, especially when modded. Stock vs stock, the Sony are more comfortable, but I don't know if you can put aftermarket pads on them and, if you can, I can't know how they will affect the sound. And seeing how the HM5 made the MSR7 atrocious to listen to without some modifications, I wouldn't hold my breath about the MDR-1A. Comparing modded MSR7 to MDR-1A isn't even fair. The gap in the bass is bridged a lot without losing the crisp highs and detailed midrange. The Sony sound a bit veiled by comparison, but they don't get shouty as the MSR7 sometimes do. One other benefit to the MDR-1A is that they are capable of going balanced at stock and come with a glorious cable.

Overall, the MSR7 punch above their price range IMO. Best closed pair of cans I've heard for a reasonable price. But that's just my 2 cents and probably a pinch of personal bias, so make of it what you will. :)

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #2,478 of 2,803
Can get hold of a pair of the blue se ones for a bit more extra, any thoughts on this if you have any ? Or stick with the original and mod ?
Well, haven't heard the SE, but they are allegedly warmer and bassier MSR7 with more tame highs IIRC. Maybe a bit better in the mids too? Can't really remember that, but people that have heard both said that the SE are better. Me, I despise the color palette they used, so I wouldn't consider them to be honest, but you know, tastes differ. :p

With that said, after a bit of modding, the stock MSR7 sound about how I expect the SE to sound, but you also get HM5 pads that are so much more comfortable than stock that it's not even funny. I suppose the only different thing between the normal MSR7 and the SE is the driver/diaphragm, so the housing should be identical. If so, you could try the same exact mods with the SE. Or maybe those play well with the HM5 pads by default, I can't know that. But if you decide to get those, do let me know. In my crazy days, I want to find a way to get MSR7SE drivers and solder on my MSR7 and see how it goes. Maybe also convert them to balanced in the process. But I have no idea if I can just ask AT to sell me drivers for a headphone I don't have. I guess they'd be happy to sell me MSR7 drivers, but that's about it.

Jun 28, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #2,480 of 2,803
I did prefer the SE to the usual MSR7. Warmness is one thing, but pulling down the completely overenphasised mids was a godsend. It was way more comfortable to listen to without feeling like the singer was shouting in my ear. I dare say it's a respectably well-done signature that I can recommend, which, considering how little I like in the closed-back market, is quite significant. Fixed almost everything I didn't like about the MSR7.

I just wish the pads were a wee bit thicker, my ears were touching inner surface of the cups.

Jun 28, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #2,481 of 2,803
Yeah I think the mod looks like what the special edition is offering, I'd rather save the extra and mod I guess as I'm going to pop them open whatever and put them in balanced.
From the descriptions yes, it seems so. Though that does make me wonder what a modded SE would sound like. Really, I will try contacting AT at some point and ask for a pair of SE drivers and see if they are willing to sell me a pair even though I don't own the headphones. I suppose they won't do it, but one can hope. I don't really know the process anyway, and the local representatives are actually an audio equipment shop that are just the official AT service for Greece and that's it.
I did prefer the SE to the usual MSR7. Warmness is one thing, but pulling down the completely overenphasised mids was a godsend. It was way more comfortable to listen to without feeling like the singer was shouting in my ear. I dare say it's a respectably well-done signature that I can recommend, which, considering how little I like in the closed-back market, is quite significant. Fixed almost everything I didn't like about the MSR7.

I just wish the pads were a wee bit thicker, my ears were touching inner surface of the cups.
Well, I wouldn't call the mids on the MSR7 overemphasized, unless we're talking about completely different frequency tolerances between my ears and yours. What I think was happening with my pair at stock form is that the anaemic low end led me to increase the volume to get more kick, but the added upper mids/lower treble were fatiguing and honestly a bit paiful. That did, however, get better with burn in and completely disappeared with modding. The SE drivers are supposed to be indeed better, but I don't know what else they may have changed.

If you still have your pair, would you mind taking it apart and taking a few pics of the inside? I'd be grateful as I'm really curious about it. If the only thing that changed is the drivers, that would be interesting, especially if I could get my hands on a pair of them to install in my normal MSR7 as I said above. It's a long shot, but whatever, one can hope.

Jul 18, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #2,482 of 2,803
Hi all, I know this is a long shot but, I’m finding an owner of the msr7se in Singapore to allow a quick listen to it.

Chanced upon the msr7 yesterday and went to read up and found out about the se, would hope to try it before dropping any cash...

Jul 29, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #2,483 of 2,803
Hi all, I know this is a long shot but, I’m finding an owner of the msr7se in Singapore to allow a quick listen to it.

Chanced upon the msr7 yesterday and went to read up and found out about the se, would hope to try it before dropping any cash...
I'm probably too late for this, but anyway, do try the SE if you can and post back with your opinion on it. If you are not downright blown away by the SE but want something similar, the MSR7 is great. In stock form it sounds really crisp and detailed, but a few easy mods can alter the sound just enough to let it compete with the SE head on while being more comfortable.

Aug 24, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #2,485 of 2,803
I have the Msr7 original, for a while now and the Msr7se on is way !

I bought a adapter 2.5mm TRRS male to 3.5mm female stereo to pair with my Ibasso DX200 Amp3 (2.5mm) and a silver cable 3.5mm stereo.

What i have to say right now, is the Msr7 never sounded that good, no harsh, sibilance, bass is much tighter.

Previously i was having the Mojo, Hugo 1 and Hugo 2. + some Tube amps. Sold everything, including
HD660s, and Aeon flow open etc..

I wish the SE edition will do better after burning process...

Aug 25, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #2,487 of 2,803
How did you wire that then? Did you put a 3.5mm socket on each side? That would be an interesting mod, do you have a picture or two?
Simply with a 2.5mm balanced adapter to 3.5mm stereo. That let me access to the 2.5mm from the Amp 3 without the extra power i guess ? Don’t know exactly how it work... But it sound pretty damn good.

Attachments

• DCB89AA2-5133-4E73-B979-610725EB6537.jpeg
    DCB89AA2-5133-4E73-B979-610725EB6537.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 0
Aug 25, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #2,489 of 2,803
Simply with a 2.5mm balanced adapter to 3.5mm stereo. That let me access to the 2.5mm from the Amp 3 without the extra power i guess ? Don’t know exactly how it work... But it sound pretty damn good.

Oh OK, not a true balanced connection then its just using the balanced output and converting it to single ended before sending it to the msr7.

Its getting the increased power capability from the amp that way and if it sounds better to you then thats's great.

I may mod my msr7 to dual 3.5mm input now that you've given me the idea though. :)

Aug 25, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #2,490 of 2,803
Oh OK, not a true balanced connection then its just using the balanced output and converting it to single ended before sending it to the msr7.

Its getting the increased power capability from the amp that way and if it sounds better to you then thats's great.

I may mod my msr7 to dual 3.5mm input now that you've given me the idea though. :)
Yes i guess, that give me the sound signature of this amp... Without increasing the soundstage.
Maybe, i’ll try to mod mine also... But i don’t want to brake apart the Se version for sure. Let us know if you made it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back