Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Dec 9, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #197 of 2,803
Took my sansaclip and fiio E18 out for a spin with the MSR7....( instead of my samsungfone)
i am beginning to get a feel of the quibbles here,
in my own terms, i think................
the leading edge of the treble attack is a little HARD, Etched,
and i listen at quite loud a volume...after awhile i felt fatigued.

when i switch over to the 50x, i actually felt relieved, relaxed a little.
same song...same Leona Lewis.

Is it becos of my gears..that thin stock cable betw the sansa and fiio...or the MSR7 is revealing..
u guys go test it out with your gears...LOL

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #198 of 2,803
  Took my sansaclip and fiio E18 out for a spin with the MSR7....( instead of my samsungfone)

Is it becos of my gears..that thin stock cable betw the sansa and fiio...or the MSR7 is revealing..

Hmm, both Clip and E18 have warm sound character, and you still bothered by treble?  I guess AT pushed MSR7 hard toward the high frequency range to brighten up a sound in order to qualify for "hi-res" club membership.  Thank God they had more sanity with CKR10 :)  That extra high frequency extension going from CKR9 to CKR10 (also a member of 'hi-res' club) was done in a very tasteful way.

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #199 of 2,803
i have a thicker fiio interconnect cable in my bag, but i didnt whip it out...
it should add some body to the sound, maybe cut off that hardness :p
( when i use this thicker cable on my JVC FX850, it pushed this iem into boomyland :p)

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #200 of 2,803
I'm loving all these impressions of the MSR7 guys, keep it up! From what everyone is saying the bass and mids seem to be similar in sound to the ES700 albeit more refined. The treble seems to be different, but definitely improved.

Still waiting on impressions from the almighty Dsnuts! 
tongue.gif
His cans are taking FOREVER to arrive!!

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #202 of 2,803
i don't know if I want to import it from Japan or wait a few months for it to come to Europe, but at the same time I don't want to be dissapointed if its like 50x I can get cheap here
tongue.gif

I refuse to believe it is like the 50x. There's NO WAY!!
blink.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #203 of 2,803
To me the treble sounds natural.

No harshness or brittleness on my end.

I feel that it is splashy in the 10khz frequency. The 6khz region bothers only my ears.

And I listened to the tracks you shared, so I think our definition of unnatural is definitely different.

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #204 of 2,803

I use stock all the time.

However, I'll use the Sony z1000 Walkman to let you guys know how it sounds.

With the cayin c5 amp plugged in to my desktop, the msr7 brightness becomes slightly guy more tame.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #207 of 2,803
i used to have the m50x. comfort wise i give it to the msr7. built quality, msr7 too. but in the sound department, i'll give it to the m50x - simply because the msr7 sounds unnatural to me (in the upper mids/treble region - sounds too processed for the lack of a better term)
yup the treble is definitely a little boosted compared the the M50x.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #208 of 2,803
The treble on the M50 sounds splashy and unrefined to me... These are worse than that?
splashy and unrefined because of the 10kHz peak. But the M50x has smoothed that out, and and it really is quite detailed and smooth now. Even Tyll, who prefers darker and warmer headphones, say the M50x treble has more or less no problems

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #209 of 2,803
I definitely am sure that the M50x has better comfort to me. The MSR7 driver baffle touches a huge part of my ear. The pads are just too pliant.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #210 of 2,803
To put it this way: the pads of the MSR7 take a really long time to return to its original position after I press them down, whereas the M50x pads immediately return to their original position. And the M50x pads are not hard at all, I was actually surprised at how soft they were when I first got them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back