Audio-Technica ATH M50X
Nov 21, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #46 of 77
But the trade off is poor bass right?
If you give me options I can look into it, I don't have experience to know the best (and affordable) ones.
No, not necessarily. Planers are open, but they have pretty linear bass. Sennheiser dynamics rolls off in the subs, but that doesn't mean all dynamics do, but most do. Focals are dynamics, but their bass extended better than Sennheisers.

But, generally we do expect more bass quantity from closed-backs, generally, dynamic driver closed-backs.

When you state, 'poor bass,' it depends on what you think poor bass is. The bass may lack in quantity, but may not be poor in quality. Like an open-back that rolls off in subs.

I find that it's easier to up the quanity of bass in a closed-back, but not easy to provide quality bass on a closed-back, but easier to provide better bass quality with open-backs.

It sounds like you put much weight into bass, but there's many qualities to headphones than bass.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #47 of 77
Price could also be a factor with an open-back headphone. I should have thought of that before bringing the subject up.

At your price point, you may get better sound quality with a closed HP, for the simple reason that there aren't very many good open-back options available in that price range. Beyerdynamic makes some fairly decent open and semi-open HPs in the sub-$200 price range. Most others will probably be around $200 and up.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #48 of 77
The main problem for anyone buying in Brazil is the initial price due to exchange rate and import duties.Headphones that are considered cheap in europe and the us are already expensive in Brazil.Also many makes are not available.
This is why they have concerns with things like replacement earpads,as without this option headphones like the akg k371 become expensive long term.
Looking back over the comments,and once again considering the headphone options available in Brazil,you should also consider buying used.The Beyer dt770 80 ohm used should be in your price range.The parts such as headband and earpads are easily available.The existing earpads can also be washed which will help with the very hot and humid conditions you have in Brazil.
I had the m50 and the akg k550(fantastic by the way,sold mine in Brazil) - with both I found my ears sweting very quickly.

Nov 22, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #49 of 77
The thing is, the DT 770 80 ohm will require an amp right? I'm looking for around 30 ohm so I can plug into everything without worrying about volume or sound quality.
I'll look into used DT's but I think I prefer new ones you know... so I can have some warranty (I hope).

What about this one? https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-1655342700-fone-de-ouvido-beyerdynamic-dt-770m-_JM

It's the "M" version. But at this price I can buy the ATH 40x, I also can buy the K371 (even cheaper). So which is better for the average joe like me? As I said, I wanna be impressed, with a vivid sound, I don't want a boring sound since I'll not be using for professional use, I just wanna an amazing headphone that's not "gamer". I wanna a clean and accurate sound of course, but also I want to have fun.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #50 of 77
No, not necessarily. Planers are open, but they have pretty linear bass. Sennheiser dynamics rolls off in the subs, but that doesn't mean all dynamics do, but most do. Focals are dynamics, but their bass extended better than Sennheisers.

But, generally we do expect more bass quantity from closed-backs, generally, dynamic driver closed-backs.

When you state, 'poor bass,' it depends on what you think poor bass is. The bass may lack in quantity, but may not be poor in quality. Like an open-back that rolls off in subs.

I find that it's easier to up the quanity of bass in a closed-back, but not easy to provide quality bass on a closed-back, but easier to provide better bass quality with open-backs.

It sounds like you put much weight into bass, but there's many qualities to headphones than bass.

The main problem for anyone buying in Brazil is the initial price due to exchange rate and import duties.Headphones that are considered cheap in europe and the us are already expensive in Brazil.Also many makes are not available.
This is why they have concerns with things like replacement earpads,as without this option headphones like the akg k371 become expensive long term.
Looking back over the comments,and once again considering the headphone options available in Brazil,you should also consider buying used.The Beyer dt770 80 ohm used should be in your price range.The parts such as headband and earpads are easily available.The existing earpads can also be washed which will help with the very hot and humid conditions you have in Brazil.
I had the m50 and the akg k550(fantastic by the way,sold mine in Brazil) - with both I found my ears sweting very quickly.

^Some excellent points by both gringod and SilverEars.

I have less experience with open headphones. But do you guys think that an open-back headphone like the Beyer DT-990 or one of the lower cost Sennheisers would also breath a little better, and be more comfortable in warmer conditions?

I like the washable velour pads on my DT-770. But they are fairly large, and can get pretty warm, sweaty and uncomfortable on hotter days. At least they can be cleaned though. I have 3 pairs of stock velour pads for my DT-770 btw. So I always have a fresh pair available to use while washing the used/dirty ones.

Nov 22, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #51 of 77
Rtings used to rank the breathability of headphones in their reviews. But it looks like they've discontinued that now. Here is a comparison though of the closed-back Beyer DT-770, open-back DT-990 (which uses the same pads as the 770), and the AKG K371...

https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews...t-770-pro/dt-770-pro-breathability2-large.jpg
https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews...t-990-pro/dt-990-pro-breathability2-large.jpg
https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/headphones/akg/k371/k371-breathability2-large.jpg

The DT-770 is clearly the warmest of the bunch. The open-back DT-990 looks a little cooler particularly around the pinna. But still noticeably warm around the ear. The AKG K371, which has the smallest earpads, is warm at the ear, but generates less heat around it than either the DT-770 and DT-990.

One of the hottest headphones tested in their reviews was the closed-back Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. One of the more common "beater" headphones used in studios. It ranked 2nd to last in their breathability tests, before they stopped doing them.

https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews...d-280-pro/hd-280-pro-breathability2-large.jpg

The complete list of breathability rankings can be found here btw. Select the "Show More" option at the bottom of the Test Results graph to see the complete list of rankings for all headphones reviewed on the site...

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/design/breathability/

The AT M50x and M40x also rank fairly low down on the list. Both can get pretty hot. And the in-ear (and also on-ear) headphones are of course the best performers in this category, and rank the highest. The coolest over-ear headphones are, perhaps not surprisingly, some of the more open models, like the Sennheisers, Philips SHP9500 (they didn't test the new SHP9600), the Beyer DT-990, and the semi-open DT-880.

The AKG K371 ranks about the same on the list as the AT M40x and M50x in terms of the temperature. But the heat distribution is broader on the AudioTechnicas...

https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews...ca/ath-m50x/ath-m50x-breathability2-large.jpg

The Sennheiser HD 660s is also one of the lowest ranking open-back Senns in breathability, below most of the other popular open-back 5, 6, 7 and 8 series Sennheisers...

https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/headphones/sennheiser/hd-660-s/hd-660-s-breathability2-large.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #52 of 77
The thing is, the DT 770 80 ohm will require an amp right? I'm looking for around 30 ohm so I can plug into everything without worrying about volume or sound quality.
I'll look into used DT's but I think I prefer new ones you know... so I can have some warranty (I hope).

What about this one? https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-1655342700-fone-de-ouvido-beyerdynamic-dt-770m-_JM

It's the "M" version. But at this price I can buy the ATH 40x, I also can buy the K371 (even cheaper). So which is better for the average joe like me? As I said, I wanna be impressed, with a vivid sound, I don't want a boring sound since I'll not be using for professional use, I just wanna an amazing headphone that's not "gamer". I wanna a clean and accurate sound of course, but also I want to have fun.

I think you could get by without an amp on the 80 ohm DT-770. The AKG K371 is much easier to drive though. As is the AT M50x, I believe, based on my listening tests. The AKG K371 is one of the loudest over-ear headphones I've ever listened to! So if volume is high on your least of priorities, it would probably be an easy favorite. Titanium AKGs like the K371 also have a fairly open and dynamic sound for closed HPs. Esp. considering the small size of the cups!

I have not tried the DT-770 M model, so can't really comment much on it. It is designed primarily for drummers who need high isolation. I believe it comes with pleather pads, rather than velour, and also an inline volume control. A few more details can be found here...

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/dt-770-m.html

Please see my remarks above re the breathability of some of these headphones as well.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #53 of 77
Well I never had a problem with hotness in my ears, my Razer headphones doesn't get hot at all (it's the same temperature as outside tbh). So I don't know if that will bother me.

Guys, turn up the bass frequence is your headphones and watch this:

That's why I like some bass, this scene is awesome not only because all the situation but listen to the bass heavy voice of the Ultron and the ambient. Skip the fight if you don't want to see again, and in the end he says "you want to protect the world but you don't want it to CHANGE" Look how much bass that "change" word has lmao

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #54 of 77
So which is better for the average joe like me? As I said, I wanna be impressed, with a vivid sound, I don't want a boring sound since I'll not be using for professional use, I just wanna an amazing headphone that's not "gamer". I wanna a clean and accurate sound of course, but also I want to have fun.

"Boring" is not a word that really comes to mind when thinking of any of the above headphones being discussed. I did not find the 80 ohm DT-770 quite as fun to listen to as my 250 ohm DT-770 though. (I did not get a chance to hear the 80-ohm model on a really low impedance amp though, like the one I have now.)

The DT-770 overall has a somewhat more more "analytical" sound than some of the other models you're considering. And it is really designed more for pro studio use vs. pleasure listening. So I'm not sure it would be as fun for you as the K371. Or maybe even the AT M40x. The open-back DT-990 has a somewhat different sound though than the DT-770. It has more emphasis in the upper bass. And its open-back, so it has a more open sound than the DT-770. So I think it might be a little more fun than the DT-770 in both of those respects. And possibly also a little cooler.

The open-back DT-990 will not go as deep in the sub-bass though as the K371, or the M50x. Both the open-back DT-990 and the closed M40x are somewhat rolled off in the sub-bass. And both of these headphones have a very similar response in the treble and midrange as well. Between the two, the DT-990 would probably be my favorite, because it's open, and has larger (and much more comfortable imo) earpads than the M40x. The earpads on the M40x are fairly small and stiff, and not that comfortable on my ears. And really more somewhere between an over and on-ear headphone imho. YMMV though on this.

There are a couple of things I dislike about the sound quality of the AKG K371 though. So it's no a total slam-dunk for me sonically. It has the best extension in the bass of all the above. But it lacks some of the warmth I like in the bass, because there's a little dip in the mid to upper bass. And the Titanium drivers can also be a little sharp and fatiguing over time in the upper mids and treble. It is also not as well-extended in the upper treble as the Beyers or Audio-Technicas. So if you like alot of air and higher frequency detail up top, then one of these others might be more preferable to the AKG. The Titanium drivers in the AKG K553 Pro performed a little better in that regard. But it is a bigger, heavier, and also more expensive and more cumbersome headphone than the K371. Also, designed more for studio use. So I'm not sure it would be a good fit for your needs.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #55 of 77
But maybe all these pro headphones already have a bass similar to my Razer, idk. It's going to be my first pro headphone not "gamer". That said, I saw online that my headphone is bass heavy so... maybe I got used to that?

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #56 of 77
"Boring" is not a word that really comes to mind when thinking of any of the above headphones being discussed. I did not find the 80 ohm DT-770 quite as fun to listen to as my 250 ohm DT-770 though. (I did not get a chance to hear the 80-ohm model on a really low impedance amp though, like the one I have now.)

The DT-770 overall has a somewhat more more "analytical" sound than some of the other models you're considering. And it is really designed more for pro studio use vs. pleasure listening. So I'm not sure it would be as fun for you as the K371. Or maybe even the AT M40x. The open-back DT-990 has a somewhat different sound though than the DT-770. It has more emphasis in the upper bass. And its open-back, so it has a more open sound than the DT-770. So I think it might be a little more fun than the DT-770 in both of those respects. And possibly also a little cooler.

The open-back DT-990 will not go as deep in the sub-bass though as the K371, or the M50x. Both the open-back DT-990 and the closed M40x are somewhat rolled off in the bass. And both of these headphones have a very similar response in the treble and midrange as well. Between the two, the DT-990 would probably be my favorite, because it's open, and has larger (and much more comfortable imo) earpads than the M40x. The earpads on the M40x are fairly small and stiff, and not that comfortable on my ears. And really more somewhere between an over and on-ear headphone imho. YMMV though on this.

There are a couple of things I dislike about the sound quality of the AKG K371 though. So it's no a total slam-dunk for me sonically. It has the best extension in the bass of all the above. But it lacks some of the warmth I like in the bass, because there's a little dip in the mid to upper bass. And the Titanium drivers can also be a little sharp and fatiguing over time in the upper mids and treble. It is also not as well-extended in the upper treble at the Beyers or Audio-Technicas. So if you like alot of air and higher frequency detail up top, then one of these others might be more preferable to the AKG. The Titanium drivers in the AKG K553 performed a little better in that regard. But it is a bigger, heavier, and also more expensive and more cumbersome headphone than the K371. Also, designed more for studio use. So I'm not sure it would be a good fit for your needs.

Thanks man, that's really cool. Yeah the AKG K371 will probably be my choice based on you guys opinions. But I'm still considering that Kuba Disco tho. Anyway I'll have about 2 months to decide. But It's good to already choose one.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #57 of 77
Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #59 of 77

Interesting. Here are the expanded views of this headphone's frequency response if anyone's interested...

RAW - LEFT: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-3-1/graph#499/3182
RAW - RIGHT: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-3-1/graph#499/3183
CORRECTED - LEFT & RIGHT: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-3-1/graph#499/3161

The squiggly lines represent the response of your headphones. Several measurements are taken with the earcups in slightly different positions on the Raw tests. And those different samples are represented by the thin gray lines. The solid red and blue squiggly lines on the Raw plots are the average of the samples.

The dashed line represents something close to a "neutral" response. That's neutral for an audiophile btw. Since you're used to a somewhat warmer, bassier headphone, chances are you'd find the dashed curve a little bass light, and maybe a tad bright in the treble.

DISTORTION:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-3-1/graph#499/3341

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back