Audio-Technica ATH-M50s with Beyerdynamic DT250 Earpads.
Jun 4, 2013 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

bpandbass

100+ Head-Fier
With the mediocre ATH-M50 vinyl earpads making my ears sore, I figured it was time to get some Beyer DT250 velour pads. 

Here they are from top view. A little linty

They don't protrude too much, and make a good contrast color
to the white M50s. Headband is still pretty crappy quality and discolors. 

They come with foam inserts and plastic guides. Don't use the plastic guides. Just take off the stock pads, place the foam inserts atop the drivers, turn the lip of the Beyer pads inside out, and hold down the pads while you unfold the lip of the pads into the earcup grooves of the M50s. They are a pain in the bum to put on, but once you get them on, you won't need to take them off again, as they will probably outlast the M50s themselves. As far as I can tell, they don't have quite as much brightness to the treble as the pleather pads, but the bass is a little bit looser and boomier. Mids are still as recessed as they have always been, sadly. On the bright side (figurative, not sonically), my ears don't ache and turn red from being munched by the pads and pressing against the driver, and there is no sweatiness. I can wear the M50s for exponentially longer periods of time now that my ears don't get so sore from the junk stock pads. You can also use the DT250 pads for the Sony MDR-V6 and MDR-7506.  

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 2
I know this is a super old thread, but after having great success with retaining the bass in my monoprice 8323, I tried the same pads with the m50x and found that there was a big difference with the plastic ring and without was huge interms of retaining deeper subbass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back