Audio Technica ATH-M50s OR Sennheiser HD555
Nov 29, 2010 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kefcool

New Head-Fier
Well I want to buy headphones, but now I am really doubting between 2 particular ones.

I was hoping someone with experience could tell me what the best ones are.

The Sennheiser HD 555? (can get these for 80€)
Or the Audio Technica ATH-M50s? (can get these for 110€)

I read some reviews about both but it is really a hard choice for me since I never owned a pair of decent headphones before.
The 'bad' thing I heard about the HD 555 ones is that other people can hear your music to, pretty loud.

Any other OVER EAR headpones you can recommend are welcome to, but I think these 2 are both among the best for its price?

Thanks in advance

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 15
Mainly will be using them for my iPod, & for watching movies on my laptop.

Music, well anything really, mostly RnB, DnB, Techno, ...
I prefer a nice bass aswell.

The thing is on this forum everyone seems to be talking about the AT ones, but on others the HD 555 is more popular, that really makes me doubt.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 15
M50 is probably better for you if you listen to a lot of bass heavy music.  The M50 isolate noise well from the outside and there is barely any noise leak from the inside, so I would go with them.  They are somewhat portable too because they fold up (though the cord is really long) and comfortable all around.  The HD555 is very nice, but they are mostly for quiet listening at home.

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #8 of 15
Both are great yet very different headphones. I own them both and use them for specific purposes. Please note that the below comparisons are based on my own experiences.

For trance, RnB, hip hop (anything that has a bass beat to it): m50 hands down. The HD555 can't handle bass like the m50 can. 

Loudness: m50
Bass: m50
Soundstage: HD555
Clean sound: HD555 (in particular when listening to acoustic or orchestral music)
Games: HD555
Noise Isolation: m50 (because the leather pads seal your ear)
Sound leakage: HD555 leak a lot of sound

I prefer my m50 for music.
I prefer my HD555 for movies and games only because of the soundstage (virtual surround sound from my sound card works better with open ear HP) but regardless, the m50 produce great sound quality and hard hitting sounds for all activities. 

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 15
I have a question about the M50s. I mainly listen to hip hop and alternative, so bass is pretty big for me. However I am also a fan of Radiohead, and I was just wondering how is their music when listening to it on the M50s?

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 15
Listening to The Bends right now. Sounds pretty good. Some songs are a little compressed in the mids, but not bad at all. Instrument separation is good, soundstage is decent. Overall, very listenable with Radiohead.

Quote:
I have a question about the M50s. I mainly listen to hip hop and alternative, so bass is pretty big for me. However I am also a fan of Radiohead, and I was just wondering how is their music when listening to it on the M50s?

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 15
M-50 owner chiming in.  The m-50s do great for progressive and alternative as well as more bassy music.  I can't imagine selling a pair of Hd600s to get the M50s, but these headphones are great for almost every type of music.

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
I ordered the M50 with coiled cable.

Good decission? :)

Hells yes good decision.  I got mine a little while ago and for gaming and all my music, it's fantastic.  The mids could be a little nicer, but other than that these cans are worth every bang for their buck.  I also posted a video review about them on YouTube. Check it out if you have the chance.  Just search SirAuronPD or Audio Technica M50 review.

Enjoy your new cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back