Audio Technica ATH-M50s nominal impedance nokia 5800
Apr 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dvdcastav

New Head-Fier
Hi there, Audiophiles!

Well, i've read this http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/116513/what-is-nominal-impedance and though i'm now kind of informed about what nominal impedance is, i'm not sure if i got it right, so i'll just ask you guys a question, but first, let me explain the cause of such curiosity.

I'll buy the mentioned heaphones, the ATH-M50s, and, though it is mixing/producing focused, i'll be using them to chill while listening to my music, mostly, through a nokia 5800xm...

I already tried them at the store, and despite the sound being awesome, the high bass quality, the extreme isolation, both inwards and outwards, i didn't found the sound to come out at a pretty high volume... Well, i'm used to listening to music with Steelseries Syberia, a gaming headset, which play at a high volume. Of course, the extreme isolation makes the ATH very good to listen to music, but i sorta like to feel the music pound my ears, if you know what i mean... I know it isn't that healthy, but i can't help it

Keep in mind that i tried the ath-m50s with my 5800xm at max volume

Well, the question is: Is the 5800xm the cause of such low volume, because of technical issues, like nominal impedance, and such, or are the headphones that way ? I found them to be perfect, i'm really in love with them, i'm really about to buy them... but that sound volume issue just got me thinking...

Do you guys think i should buy a headphone amp too, or that isn't all that advisable ?
And having to connect a 3,5m long cable, to an amp, and then to the nokia 5800... imagine me walking down the street with all that stuff, without a backpack or so... LOL

Anyway, thanks, and if someone can give me some feedback about the ath-m50s, and if possible, about listening to drum and bass/dubstep with them, i'll really apreciate.

Once again, thanks, and i hope you guys don't mind the long text.

dvdcastav

Apr 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 10
I have the Nokia 5230, which is basically a 5800 without Wifi. Personally, I can listen only up to 8/10 volume, but for you to listen at maximum and still want more, I'm seriously worried about your ears. Amps will help with volume response, and laptops generally put more juice into the M50s, but really, try to get used to at most a 9/10 volume on your 5800.

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 10
Well, did you also used ATH-m50s with the nokia ?

The ones i tried at the store didn't had any burn in time... But since i never had high end headphones, i don't know how much burning them will modify the volume... So, if you are talking about using your nokia with the ATH already burned, maybe that's why you surprised... Because, really, at the store, the headphones' volume was really, really, low. I mean, i could hear the tune perfectly, but too low

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #6 of 10
I know its bad for my ears,  but i'm not sure if i'll be capable of reducing the volume, i often get carried away by my music LOL but thanks for your concern, i'll see to it

@Xander
Really ? well, i have been reading some posts, and i pretty much assumed that burning-in would develop the volume... People that when buy the cans are underwhelmed by its volume, but after some hours of use get overwhelmed by it... If the ATH, after like 48 or 72 hours of burning-in doesn't get a higher volume... Well, i'm afraid i won't be satisfied :s

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #7 of 10
To begin with, N5800XMs don't necessarily have the most powerful headphone output. Clean? Yes. Smooth and near neutral? Yes. Powerful? Heck no. I use my Grados on them at around 8/10 or at full volume (depending on the song's loudness). My IEMs go for 6 or 8/10, again, depending on the album's recording levels.

So I'm not shocked to hear dvdcastav's problem. An amp would be of great help. If size is an issue, I guess a Fiio E5 would be OK, but I guess others here would be able to give better suggestions.

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #8 of 10
Hm, thanks Bangengman.
Can you give some hints about other portable music playing device, one that doesn't let the ATH down ?

Can you tell how much the amp would amplify the sound ? 10%, 30%... ?

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Hm, thanks Bangengman.
Can you give some hints about other portable music playing device, one that doesn't let the ATH down ?

Can you tell how much the amp would amplify the sound ? 10%, 30%... ?

I think part of the reason that the 5800XM isn't that powerful is because it's capped with the volume limiter set by the EU. So basically any other non-volume capped player would probably work. An amp would definitely increase the volume, and the E5 would probably give at least 100% more volume.

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 10
Wow, that's a nice %... :)
Well, I'm almost 100% sure i'll buy them, as well as the E5, so i guess i'll have to try everything the right way... Thanks for you replies

fi there's someone out there that had the same "problem" i'm having, please, let me know of your experience... I'll be glad to read every piece of info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back