Audio-Technica ATH-M50s Headphones - Help
Sep 26, 2011 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Painstar

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

Firstly I hope this is in the right thread..it seemed it?

Secondly, I just need some help I am thinking of buying a really nice new pair of over ear headphones.

So because I know nothing really about this field I came here for a little guidance. I just want some good sound, good looks and comfortable.

I mean I have tried on my friends Beats and they were comfortable and they sounded good. But they are really expensive and apparently they leak sound. And I mainly want them for the train...plus I've heard that the phones I mentioned in my title blow them away.

Also looked at Bose but apparently these blow them away too.

So what I really wanted to know was whether the ATH-M50s are comfy, don't leak too much sound (for train journeys in the morning when its pretty quiet) and look good (they seem too to me)

Because for the price and what people say about them they seem pretty good. Making a choice is delicate though because I don't want to make the wrong one!

I listen to mainly dubstep / drum n bass, rap and hip really with sprinkles of other things.

If anyone has anyone experience with them it would be a great help!

Liam

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 2
By no means am I an expert, nor am I an audio pro - but I happen to own the ATH-M50 and listen to the same music you do.

It's all about budget - M50 surely is not ideal for dubstep, but it's a great all-rounder, and at a spectacular price to match. Looks of course, is always up to personal preference - they're quite bulky, and I was always an IEM kinda guy, but that's a matter of what you personally consider good looking.

I mainly use my pair at home, and my girlfriend has never complained about me having to turn them down - and she's quite sensitive about those things, so I suppose they can't be leaking too much sound. They isolate quite well, but I prefer IEMs when flying/on a train/in a bus, as they just seem to seal much better. 

I'd love to give you additional recommendations, but I have not owned enough headphones to rightfully do so. Altho, without having heard them personally, you might want to look into the ATH-PRO700 MK2 - they're supposed to be bass monsters (pretty much identical to M50 regarding design and size). 

But if you let people know what your budget is, surely someone will be of assistance.

Lastly, you might want to consider buying a small portable amp for whatever headphones you are getting, and they can often make a remarkable difference in the overall quality of sound as well as the bass impact, which I assume is what you're interested in. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back