Audio Technica ATH M50s: Can you wear around neck?
Sep 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Rich77

100+ Head-Fier
I'm new here, and also fairly new to headphones. I own one pair (Koss UR20) just to see if I would like the feel/sound of them and I did. I wanted an upgrade, originally thought Denon AH-D1001 but EVERYONE here loves M50s.

My decision is basically made with the M50s, but curiosity has me, can you wear them around your neck when your not using them?

Thanks in advance lol

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 18
It's uncomfortable to do that. I have a small neck and it kinda chokes at my neck. But then again,  I don't need to stretch out my head band. If you stretch out your head band, it won't squeeze at your neck.

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 18

Quote:
It's uncomfortable to do that. I have a small neck and it kinda chokes at my neck. But then again,  I don't need to stretch out my head band. If you stretch out your head band, it won't squeeze at your neck.

Alright thanks. I was just curious because my UR20s were massive and I couldn't even look down wearing them around my neck.

Sep 26, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 18
The M50's fit perfectly for my neck size/shape. Since they have the swivel, I'll oftentimes just wear em around my neck, turn the cups up, and listen to the music that way. They're definitely loud enough, and it helps when I'm tired of having something over my ears for so long.

Enjoy em!

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
The M50's fit perfectly for my neck size/shape. Since they have the swivel, I'll oftentimes just wear em around my neck, turn the cups up, and listen to the music that way. They're definitely loud enough, and it helps when I'm tired of having something over my ears for so long.

Enjoy em!

Haha thanks man. You guys here treat them like Jesus coming in the form of audio electronics lol. I haven't ordered them yet, but I'm really looking forward to it now.

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 18
Hello, 

Former M50 owner here.

I am really slim (175cm x 65Kg) and I could not do that if I didn't stretch the headband completely. 

And it's really a pain in the *** having to  stretch and unstretch the headband that everytime you put them on and off. And I can guess the headband is not made for that and you may break the wires inside in quite a short time.

Everything was because the drivers could spin on themselves, and being them big, when the pads relied completely on the shoulders the whole thing was just choking... try to look for something with smaller drivers or something that has big but "still" drivers...

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 18
Yep, I can wear my M50s around my neck comfortably. They're much easier to wear around my neck than my HD280 Pros.

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 18
Is it cooler to wear them around the neck? My neck is deaf and by a margin not cool at all, in fact it's quite sweaty and pretty useless when it comes to music.

Quote:
I'm new here, and also fairly new to headphones. I own one pair (Koss UR20) just to see if I would like the feel/sound of them and I did. I wanted an upgrade, originally thought Denon AH-D1001 but EVERYONE here loves M50s.

My decision is basically made with the M50s, but curiosity has me, can you wear them around your neck when your not using them?

Thanks in advance lol

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 18
I was just interested to know, because at home I do a lot of listening and between songs a lot I take them off to talk/listen to something else. I just find it convinient to do, I'm not worried about style. In fact I really don't care all too much what people think of me.

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 18
I'm just kidding dude. I'm pretty useless right now and can't even tell you if you can wear them around the neck or not. However, what I do know is they are extremely light, so that might be a possibility.

Quote:
I was just interested to know, because at home I do a lot of listening and between songs a lot I take them off to talk/listen to something else. I just find it convinient to do, I'm not worried about style. In fact I really don't care all too much what people think of me.

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 18
Haha alright I didn't wanna attack you and be a dick, it's cool.

Yeah I heard these are pretty do all headphones so I'm pretty stoked to be getting some. I kinda can't wait lol.

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
I have both too. Which sound do you prefer, the M50 or 280?

The M50s, definitely.

The HD280 Pros aren't a bad set and they're just about the most neutral pair of headphones I own (outside of the HiFiMan RE0s and RE-ZEROs) but they lack a certain musicality that I desire in a pair of headphones. Plus, while their sub-bass presence is good, their midbass performance is lacking for my tastes.

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #15 of 18
I'm 6'3" 200lbs and the M50 fits perfect around my neck. It fits better with the cups facing out. I guess if you have a shorter neck, then they might choke a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back