Audio-Technica ATH-M50 with Shure SRH840 earpads: My impressions...
Jun 28, 2010 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

daltonlanny

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello all,
Just received a pair of Shure SRH840 earpads from Sweetwater.com to try out on my Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones.
I have been comparing the headphones with the stock pads and the 840 pads for about two hours now with lots of various music.
Here are my impressions so far:
The pads are extremely easy to switch out.
But, the 840 pads fit around the ear cups looser than the M50 pads do, possibly lowering the bass output.
They are indeed more comfortable around the ears than the M50 pads, and have more "breathing" room for your ears.
Sound-wise and other-wise, here are my impressions so far:

PROS WITH THE 840 PADS ON THE M50'S:
More comfortable, with more room around the ears.
The sound is slightly more spacious and open.
The treble seems to be slightly more extended.
The bass seems to be alittle smoother.

CONS WITH THE 840 PADS ON THE M50'S:
Some of the midrange frequencies sound slightly more recessed.
The treble, while sounding slightly more extended and open, also sounds slightly brighter and harsher.
The bass does not sound as deep or as extended to my ears with the 840 pads.
The pads fit loose around the ear cups making them easier to accidently pull off, and possibly hurting the bass extension, due to a possible looser seal around the earcup.
Seems like I can hear more ambient noise with these.

PROS WITH STOCK PADS COMPARED TO 840 PADS:
Deeper, fuller bass extension.
Smoother treble.
Less harshness to the treble and/or upper mids.
Mids seem more balanced.
Seems to block out more outside sounds.

CONS WITH STOCK PADS COMPARED TO 840 PADS:
Soundstage more closed in.
Treble sounds more rolled off on top.
Bass slightly boomier?
Sound is darker/warmer.
Pads can feel slightly cramped/hot around the ears.

SUMMARY:
The differences in sound with the different pads in not huge by any means, but there are indeed differences.
In the end, I wound up putting the stock M50 pads back on.
With the M50 pads, they simply seemed alittle more balanced to my ears, and the bass was fuller and more extended. On the other hand, they do sound alittle warmer and darker with the stock pads, and the soundstage is slightly smaller and alittle more closed in with the stock pads.
Other people out there may disagree with my results.
I would be anxious to hear from others who have tried the 840 pads, and have compared the sound of the two.
I just thought I would share my own personal experience with everyone.
Thanks for reading.

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 9
Hi Anaxilus and winma,
Thanks for the compliments!
I do not own the Shure SRH840's, so I don't know if the M50 pads would work or not.
Since the 840 pads do work on the M50's, there is a strong possibility that they would.
It would definitely be a tight fit.

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 9
I just tried this. I'm listening to the m50 with the shure ear pads and they are definitely brighter. Not so much that it is fatiguing but in my opinion it is noticeable. It's not bad though, I kind of like the new sound.

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for sharing your impressions! I have the 840 pads as well, but I never actually use them because the stock earpads are comfortable enough for me. After reading your impressions, I may start playing with them a bit to see if I can hear the same differences.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 9
My findings were the same as the OP. I hated them. Fischer velour and pleather pads fit perfect and are deep and soft, but they sounded even worse to my ears. AT nailed the sound with their pads.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Any difference in sound leakage?

I thought isolation was better, so by inference I would assume that leakage was less as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back